Official Review: Solar Coaster by Yi Ou

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Official Review: Solar Coaster by Yi Ou

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Solar Coaster" by Yi Ou.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a small rocket, a little inquisitive boy and his loyal dog explores the mysterious and exciting universe. From landing on Mars to flying around the other planets, the boy certainly knows a lot about the solar system. Come follow this little astronaut in Yi Ou’s children’s illustrated book, Solar Coaster.

This space-oriented children’s book will definitely capture the attention of many young children. Firstly, its rhyming format gives the book an almost lyrical rhythm as you read. Secondly, the illustrations, which were done by the author, were simply sweet and inviting. Lastly, I believe the higher-level vocabulary words will help children grow and be engaged throughout. Some of the words included were: whirling, jolt, looming, hue, dazzling, and others.

Another wonderful aspect of this endearing book was its plethora of space-related facts. Most of these facts were focused on the planets in our solar system. Fun facts about Saturn’s rings, the size of Jupiter, gas giants, which planet is the closest and which planet is the farthest away from the sun were only some of the facts included. Though it may seem as if this is a lot of information to process, it’s written in such a fun way that children can revisit the story and learn something new each time the book is read.

If I had to choose an area of improvement it would the book’s three errors. However, these were so minuscule and did not deter from my own enjoyment of the book that I don’t feel the book deserves a lower rating because of it.

When looking at this sweet book as a whole, I feel it’s one that many children will enjoy and will learn from. Due to its inviting illustrations, its rhyming rhythm, and its fun facts, I give Solar Coaster a four out of four stars. I would recommend this book for parents or teachers to read to children, toddlers to early elementary school, as a bedtime story or an introduction to a space unit in school.

Solar Coaster
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I was internally screaming at the thought of reading about a little boy and his corgi discovering the universe. I would've loved to read this as a kid, but I guess it'll have to also work for me as an adult. Great review!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Educational children’s books are fantastic! This book looks like a fun adventure to share with kids. Thanks for the review!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

The title and cover are cute and clever; it's what caught my attention. A little boy and his dog exploring the solar system where children can learn new words and space facts sounds like an awesome children's book. I enjoyed reading your fabulous review, thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

The arteffect on the front cover does look really exciting I must say. I enjoyed reading your review and felt excited at the same time. Thank you.
ValerijaJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerijaj.html
Latest Review: Call Me Pomeroy by James Hanna

Post by ValerijaJ »

The book cover brought me here, the review made me stay. Going on my reading list! Thank you for the review! :D
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like a book that parents will be asked to read again and again. It's amazing how much kids learn from hearing the same rhymes over and over. This is a fun way to entertain and to learn. Thanks for the amazing recommendation!
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

I love the cover of the book as well as the themes explored in the book. This would be an interesting read for any child. Parents and caregivers should consider getting their kids this book. Thank you for the great review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Kathleen Wolfe
Favorite Book: The Hour Game
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathleen-wolfe.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Kathleen Wolfe »

That cover is so cute! Its good that it includes facts, at least then it makes it easier for children to learn and gets them more engaged in it. Thanks for an interesting review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This seems like a charming and lovely book. I love the cover as well! Thanks for this excellent review. Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
nana7613
Favorite Book: The Cat in the Hat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nana7613.html
Latest Review: A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by nana7613 »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 20:50 This sounds like a book that parents will be asked to read again and again. It's amazing how much kids learn from hearing the same rhymes over and over. This is a fun way to entertain and to learn. Thanks for the amazing recommendation!
I agree. Rhyming improves reading skills.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

This is a very good and concise review. A 4 out of 4 stars from this review reflect how good this book is. Thanks for the review.
Adelle v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelle-v.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Adelle v »

I love the cover of this book it's so sweet. I believe this will be a enjoyable book both for parents and their children. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”