Review by Wanja Hannah -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by Wanja Hannah -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Wanja Hannah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rose, Sophie, Amanda, and Veronica are ladies of different ages and careers. They have been brought together by fate and circumstances, they find themselves engaged in a sport called fly fishing. Their relationship grows from mere friendship to a real sisterhood. Rose being the eldest has her fair share of secrets just like Amanda has her struggles. Once in a while, they enjoy their weekends at Rose’s cabin along Arkansas riverbank, where they get to share their normal livelihoods as well as relax as they fish. As they are going about their normal fly fishing, they get to fish a ‘human fish’, Amanda a photographer who accidentally slips into the river while she was taking some nude photo-shoot for an online magazine called ‘Suicide Girls’.

The incident invokes emotions of the past in Rose. Could she be having a secretive past? Will she share with her girlfriends? Michelle Cummings writes this fiction life-story of five ladies both in their private home, their travel and adventure and more so on their fly fishing expeditions. Sophie, a bona fide tomboy gets to meet his long lost trainer Buck while she is fishing. Will she fall in love after many years of being single and afraid of dating?

The Reel Sisters is well organized into ten sections. Each section starts with a quote from different writers or movies. Michelle Cummings uses first-person narration as a style which makes the reader feel connected to the characters. Each section has the characters as the subheading, this makes it even easier for the reader to have the flow of the story. The Reel Sisters is a page turn as the author uses suspense so well that you wish to know what happened next.

I mostly liked Amanda as I could relate to her struggles as a young mother of two, with a husband who is away as a soldier. I liked how she tried her best to keep her family sane as well as have time for her girlfriends. It is not easy telling much about her without giving spoilers. Therefore, I will leave this for the reader to find out themselves. I also liked how Michelle gives a poetic ending making the whole story a metaphor of life. I didn't like the blank pages that separated sections as they made me anxious not knowing whether the story would end there.

With the little flaws, I found the book so interesting and educative as well. It was professionally edited devoid of any errors. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, not because it had any boring moment but because the cover gave me a different thought of the story inside. I thought the book was about films and I was about to skip it. I wish the author works on the cover a little bit more to give an idea of what is inside. I recommend this book to people who wish to have strong relationships especially women.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wanja Kenya
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Congratulations for a smart review.Doing the great read and cant stop laughing at this weird moment we "we" just fished out a naked girl.For sure, wonders will never cease and strange models will ever appear.Thank you.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

It is always nice when you are able to see yourself in a character you are reading about. It is even better when it is a strong character you identify with. Nice review.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

It's fun visualizing yourself as the characters when reading. I've also never heard about fly fishing before. I would like to learn more about it. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”