Official Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Billionaires’ Handbook" by Andrew Stevenson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What do you get if you throw the humor of Monty Python and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy into a blender along with some heaping helpings of 1960's pop artistry, mix it all up, pour it into a glass and drink it through a straw made of American politics? Look, I have no idea how any of that would even happen because it sounds ridiculous. But if we're really going to play this out, in a world where somehow that was physically possible, you'd probably end up with The Billionaires' Handbook: A User's Guide to Wealth and Power by Andrew Stevenson.

The Billionaires' Handbook: A User's Guide to Wealth and Power is a brilliant spoof of the 1% superrich that rule our nation. Taking on a first-person narrative voice, this frighteningly-real-but-totally-kidding-or-else-we're-all-screwed book explains how America ended up where it is today. Andrew tells readers, using a list of rules created by the rich themselves, how the rich not only keep getting richer, they employ tactics to ensure that they'll remain in the 1% for generations... or at least until the world itself rebels and wipes humanity out.

The first-person narration is superb. In fact, the book won me over when the first page had only four words on it: "Nice to Meet You". After a tiny bit of explanation, "Andrew" (the unnamed superrich narrator) writes "Don't worry, I believe in illustrating my points with actual illustrations. So this shouldn't be too painful." Oh, how wrong you are.

The Billionaires' Handbook: A User's Guide to Wealth and Power isn't painful because it's bad, it's painful because it's terrifyingly real. Beside images that blend 90's clip art with 60's pop art, "Andrew" tells us how the superrich don't break rules, they follow them... because they created them. Tax codes that allow the 1% to practically avoid taxes altogether? Check. Using celebrities and the internet to keep us distracted? Check. Owning the media so only the "right" news is told in the first place? You've got it! Money may not buy happiness, but enough of it sure buys pretty much everything and everyone.

"Convincing the world that you are having fun every minute of every day is downright pathological but if it helps us sell more eyeliner, please carry on.

Remember that “influencer” and “follower” are also used to describe members of a religious cult so you might be eligible for tax-free status."

I don't think I've ever highlighted more amazing quotes in a book than I have in The Billionaires' Handbook: A User's Guide to Wealth and Power. Pages have a minimal number of words, much like a children's book, and Andrew really knows how to put every bit of textual real estate to good use. The artwork beside his writing is superb as well; while it smacks of a little simplicity (the clip art vibe), Andrew has created dozens of sharp, creative pieces, many of which would look right at home framed on one's wall. These are equally humorous and illustrative of what's been written, often incorporating parody (a man dodging bullets a la The Matrix that say "Taxes" and arbitrage knobs turned to 11, for example) or some other form of inspiration (such as a set of skyscrapers casting a shadow that looks like a middle finger). Then there are the superrich themselves, illustrated as famous figures like Uncle Sam, all of which have a blindfold over their eyes.

I'll admit that I was a bit confused at first - I'm a firm believer in burying my head in the sand and ignoring politics - but I learned a lot from the book. The humor is spectacular, and I didn't see any grammatical errors whatsoever. But the best thing about the book is that, while the author sets a very bleak scene for the past and particularly for the present, he lays out a potential future where the 99% take back our country. Under the guise of the superrich narrator getting older and wanting to be remembered as "The Greatest American of the Twenty-First Century," "Andrew" offers up some sage advice for getting out of this mess. Far too often, books that rip readers' rose-colored glasses from their faces make some valid points about the "real world", but then leave us to wallow in hopeless misery.

Aside from the bit of confusion I felt early in the book, I have nothing negative to report about The Billionaires' Handbook: A User's Guide to Wealth and Power. I'd heartily recommend it to anyone interested in politics or the state of America today, as well as lovers of Monty Python-esque humor. My rating for the book is 4 out of 4 stars. Aside from the aforementioned middle finger shadow, there's a quote from Monty Python's Life of Brian and a singular image in which a man holds up a Bible in front of a stained glass window with a dollar sign in it, but both successfully fulfill their purposes of mocking those who don't stand up to evil and those who use the Bible as a tool, not for religion, respectively.

The Billionaires’ Handbook
View: on Bookshelves
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I like Monty Python and the Hitchhiker's Guide, so maybe I'll give this a try. Great review!
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

In today's political climate, this sounds like a particularly insightful book. Might be worth reading
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I reviewed this book earlier and would have given the perfect rating, too, had there been fewer errors. I am glad those errors have been addressed. This is indeed a powerful book.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I have almost zero interest in politics, but I love Monty Python and that type of humor. I usually would not pick up a book with this name and look, but it sounds like this one is worth it. After reading your review, I'll definitely be giving it a try. Fantastic review, by the way, I love your writing style!
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

It sounds like a very interesting book, the added humor would make it more enjoyable. Thanks for the thorough review.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I would love to read this book. And your review is interesting.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I would love to read this book so that I can savour its contents. I love that the issues the author has talked about are so real that they cannot be ignored. And yes, the 1% follow the rules because they make them while the rest of us are busy breaking them!
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This seems like a humorous way to educate people about politics. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the insightful comments on the author's perspective.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Thank you for such an original and entertaining review. The book might take the edge off my conspiracy-theory leanings.
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Deepa09k »

Your review makes me to want to read the book immediately. Thanks for the amazing review.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"The Billionaire's Handbook" by Andrew Stevenson.It is user s guide.The main idea of the book is that only 1% of the population follow the rules because they make it for themselves, while the majority of the populations is found to break them.Andrew rightly says that money may not buy happiness but enough of it surely buys pretty much every things.Andrew advises the people will have to come out of this mess and have reforms,The book is useful for the students of political science as well as for those who are working playing their role in government departments.
Navdha Gupta
Currently Reading: the alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Navdha Gupta »

I'd surely love to read this book. I mean who wouldn't wanna get rich?
Also, the writing style described actually sounds very cool. Can't wait to read it.
Navdha Gupta
Currently Reading: the alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Navdha Gupta »

The fact that this book talks about the rules made by the superrich and how they keep getting richer is vey interesting to me.
I would love to get an insight on how the 1% population actually works.
Sounds like a great read.!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a non-fiction business guide to the economic market written so that anyone can understand it. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a unique OnlineBookClub review that highlighted the book perfectly. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.Congrats on the BOTD.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”