Official Review: The Fountain of Love: Poems for the Lad...

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: The Fountain of Love: Poems for the Lad...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fountain of Love: Poems for the Lady in Your Life" by Collin Brodie.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My fiancée and I met on a poetry website over 11 years ago. While she had been a poet long before that, I had only toyed with poetry a few times before heading to the website to hone my skills. I consider myself fairly skilled at silly poetry, but I could still vastly improve on the more serious, emotional stuff. So when I came across The Fountain of Love: Poems for the Lady in Your Life shortly after our anniversary, it felt like kismet!

The Fountain of Love: Poems for the Lady in Your Life is a collection of 14 love-centric poems by Collin Brodie. After reading the book, it's very clear that Collin has fallen head-over-heels for someone, and his exuberance is just as obvious thanks to his aggressive use of exclamation points. Unfortunately, genuine feelings of love don't necessarily make a terrific poet.

The vast majority of poems in The Fountain of Love: Poems for the Lady in Your Life swap between ABAB and ABCB rhyming schemes, and I never once found a poem that followed strict rules. I have nothing against end rhymes, mind you, but great poets toy with structure and limitation. To make matters worse, poets who stick to using end rhymes often force their rhymes, and Collin is no different. Perhaps this overuse of the same format is what made the end of this book so great: "The Rainbow" is a poem with three lines that rhyme followed by a form of "I can't help but love You so!" in each stanza. These lines were also the closest to sharing a syllable count, so they flowed far better than other poems that swapped from 7 syllables to 13 per line for no reason. The book then closes with the aptly-titled "Love", which reads like song lyrics. I also found four errors throughout the collection, although all four had to do with a misuse of "it's", two incorrect uses of "you're", and an issue with possession.

Sadly, the themes don't change much either. "Praises for You!" compares Collin's love to various beautiful things, "The Track Star" details the strength and beauty of his love while she runs, "My Precious Love" discusses his love's beauty, and "Midnight Angel" warns readers that his love will steal their hearts and enslave them just as she enslaved him. There is ONE poem - "The Love of a Mother" - that is written about, well, the power of a mother's love to act as a respite. In fact, the only thing that kept me interested in the book was whether Collin was actually with the woman he loves or not: "Precious Angel" is written to a friend who has moved away and Collin is declaring his love for her while wishing her a "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year". Then there's "My Delicate Rose", in which Collin's love has a broken heart and he tells her that he can fill that hole in her heart. "Praises for You!" goes so far as to include an apology at the end for expressing his feelings to her.

This makes me question the title a bit: does Collin really mean that these poems are for "the lady" in someone else's life, someone he shouldn't love? If this was the case, I feel like the collection could've explored that tug-of-war of emotions far better. Love is a fickle jerk that often chooses the worst people at the worst times, and poetry is the perfect vehicle for expressing that whirlwind of emotions. Or perhaps one in which Collin tries to fight for the love of his life and allows us to journey along with him. Unfortunately, The Fountain of Love: Poems for the Lady in Your Life is a poetry collection I'd recommend only to those who enjoy the most basic, straightforward poetry. For everyone else, a couple "pretty good" poems aren't enough to make a whole collection worthy of reading. I'd rate this book 1.5 stars if I could, but since I can't, I'll give it 2 out of 4 stars. On a final note, readers should also be warned that one poem gets a bit explicit sexually as the author describes a couple of parts of his love's body and something he wants to do with one of them. This one stanza would still only be PG-13 if spoken on television.

The Fountain of Love: Poems for the Lady in Your Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't like poetry at the best of times, so I know I wouldn't enjoy this. Congrats on the fiance! Sorry this one didn't quite meet your expectations.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

What a sound review and your knowledge of poetry definitely helped. Thank you for a lovely review.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

I must admit that poetry is not my thing and so I will have to pass this one. Nonetheless, I love the introduction you gave this review. Thank you for the review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I'm not sure this is for me, but thank you for this great review and sharing your extensive knowledge of poetry! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”