Recommendations for Percy Jackson fan?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
WolfyChan
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfychan.html
Latest Review: Elvis Blue by Lee Roberts

Icon Recommendations for Percy Jackson fan?

Post by WolfyChan »

Hey guys! so I have been a huge fan of the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by rick riordan and I was wondering. were there any books relating to Greek mythology or just mythology in general? Im trying to move away from the kids books into more fiction that is more appropriate for my age. (im 24)

so essentially im looking for books that are similar to the Percy Jackson books. I guess the term im looking for supernatural thrillers? stuff that has to do with mythology and monsters and gods.

any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. :geek2:
kelso9326
Favorite Book: Life Expectancy
Currently Reading: Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelso9326.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by kelso9326 »

So there isn't a ton to do with mythology in them but a series that deals with monsters and things I've enjoyed has been The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. They deal with Warlocks and Demons and things like that. They're pretty suspenseful and I find myself not being able to put them down when I pick up another one in the series.

There is also 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz that had a kind of entity/demon that I liked. He's actually a fantastic author if you want monsters. Some of his works are more horror-ish than you're probably looking for but he's a such a great story teller. I used to not like horror but then I found his books and can't put them down.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

Not a series but Stephen Fry has released a new book called “Mythos” which is a retelling of classic mythology stories in the modern age.
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

Browneh wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 14:50 Not a series but Stephen Fry has released a new book called “Mythos” which is a retelling of classic mythology stories in the modern age.
That sounds very interesting! I might look into that.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

Falling4Ever wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 20:32
Browneh wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 14:50 Not a series but Stephen Fry has released a new book called “Mythos” which is a retelling of classic mythology stories in the modern age.
That sounds very interesting! I might look into that.

It’s a brand new book as well! I’m pretty sure there are some signed editions floating about. Hope you enjoy!
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I’m really looking forward to checking out some of these recommendations!
ronmathewalx
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronmathewalx.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by ronmathewalx »

If you want mythology, read Rick Riordan books. I can recommend no other. He wrote the Percy Jackson Series. So, his books will be exactly for your taste. He has written Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and Norse mythology. So, there's a wide variety to choose from.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman is a somewhat-thriller about the battle of the old gods of Greek/Egyptian/Norse myth and the new gods (of the internet, mordern transport, etc,.) It's not a series, unfortunately, but Percy Jackson has been called the middle-grade equivalent of American Gods, and I enjoyed both so I hope you will too!

CIRCE and THE SONG OF ACHILLES by Madeline Miller are retellings of Greek myths -- they're not thrillers, just novels, but the myth aspect is similar. It's more YA than adult, though more 'mature' than Percy Jackson, but the prose is gorgeous and I think it's worth a read too if mythology is your focus.
Frozen Watermelon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Frozen Watermelon »

If you're trying to look for another book made by Rick Riordan, I suggest "The Trials of Apollo" or "Magnus Chase". "The Trials of Apollo is about Apollo being cast down to earth because of his son. "Magnus Chase is about Norse mythology and Magnus is Annabeth's cousin. You should try reading these books!
Mikayla Young 2
Currently Reading: Chinese Myths and Tales
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikayla-young-2.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 105%

Post by Mikayla Young 2 »

I recommend Mary Renault's Theseus series as a series or as a standalone. The first novel, The King Must Die, is a retelling of Theseus from Greek mythology, following his journeys from Troizen to Eleusis and Athens to Crete. It is an adult classical historical fiction mythological retelling that provides new insights into Theseus' exploits. If you enjoy graphic novels or illustrated books, I recommend Medusa by Jessie Burton, illustrated by Oliva Lomenech Gill, because it retells Medusa's story in an imaginative way that allows readers to see Medusa as human-like rather than a monster, as many people portray her to be. For additional mythology-themed works like Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series, I recommend his Magnus Chase series or any of his Rick Riordan Presents books.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”