Review by jhollan2 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Review by jhollan2 -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by jhollan2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Crystillaries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid is a charming coming-of-age fairy tale about a young boy’s attempt to find his missing sister. William faces down assassination attempts, parallel universes, terrifying monsters, and more. He goes on the adventure of a lifetime, refusing to return home without his twin, no matter the cost.

William Cleary and his twin sister Emmy disappeared when they were two years old. William returned with a wolf, a falcon, and a glowing plant. Emmy did not. The Graveyard Book documents hundreds of cases just like Emmy’s of people vanishing without a trace. William is the only one to ever come back. After setting out to find her, William discovers the Echoes. For every living thing born in our world, an Echo is born in Echoland. These Echoes are pale, translucent shadows of their human selves, which they call Sounds, with their own kingdom of ice and snow. They live with the Law of Death, which states that if a Sound dies, its Echo must be put to death. Unfortunately, William’s Echo is the Prince of Echoland and political unrest means that William is in grave danger. If William dies, so does the Prince.

The Crystillaries of Echoland is a wonderful young adult fantasy novel which pulls in elements of numerous other young adult sagas in a delightful way. There are echoes of Harry Potter in the magic and the boarding school set-up of the orphanage in which William hides. There are also Dementor-like creatures stalking William’s every move. The young girl taken to a land of snow and ice and held prisoner calls to mind The Snow Queen. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe reference lies in both the frozen landscape and in the discovery of a secret world. Adults are forbidden to visit Echoland and those who grow older there may never leave, reminding us of a Narnia only accessible to children.

The one thing that I found off-putting about The Crystillaries of Echoland was the sheer amount of violence for a book aimed at a younger audience. There are numerous character shot or stabbed in the chest. The lake is full of frozen corpses, including the murdered body of the king. There is a poisoning, a strangling, several assassination attempts, references to torture, actual torture, and a man drowning a puppy. None of the descriptions are extremely graphic or gory, but these are still themes that might be troubling to some children reading the book.

This is a review of the audio book version of The Crystillaries of Echoland. With audio books, a good narrator can make or break the listener’s experience of the story. No matter how good the writing, a bad narrator can make listening to it a miserable experience. B. J. Harrison does a phenomenal job of narrating The Crystillaries of Echoland. He gives each character a unique voice and his soothing tones guide the plot along quite delightfully, creating an atmosphere of suspense or safety at just the right times.

The Crystillaries of Echoland truly earns the rating of four out of four stars. From the first page to the last, the story is a gripping adventure that keeps readers engaged and anxious for answers right alongside of William Cleary. While the story might be a bit too violent for some tastes, especially as it is meant for a younger audience, I enjoyed it very much. Dew Pellucid has brought a magical world to life in Echoland and I look forward to returning there someday.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

This seems like an interesting book. I like the way you described it. Thanks for the review!
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I agree that the violence, especially the drowning of the wolf cub, may make this book unsuitable for young or sensitive people. The wolf cub bit bothered me the most because it seemed to have no point, other than to prove a character who is not one of the "bad guys" is a bad guy. Nothing happens to that character that gives him a comeuppance, and no adult character seems to care about how awful he is.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

This is a really good review! I love the fact that you pointed out how violence should be toned down in books aimed at younger audiences. I agree completely.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

The tale about the young character, Will, who refuses to "return" home is one of feature that makes the plot interesting.

I'm glad such a young boy could be a replica of an hero in the story.

Thank you for this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”