Official Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding A Job in Tough Times" by Dr. Tim Johnson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding A Job in Tough Times is a workbook that aims to assist those who are having problems with their job searching. The book contains reflective exercises that help the reader with his/her career plans. Based on the author’s years of experience in job searching and career development, Dr. Tim Johnson imparts his principles that will hopefully make a difference in people’s lives.

The book starts with helping the reader reflect on his/her current conditions. Then, the book discusses the author’s action plan called “Six Steps to a Paycheck.” The action plan talks about learning how to be presentable, setting out goals, overcoming limitations, making new friends, taking advantage of opportunities, and focusing on a career path. The book contains numerous exercises, all of which help the reader reflect on his/her career development.

The book provides helpful advice not just on career development, but also on life in general. This is because the author treats career development as interrelated with living, which shows in the exercises of reflecting upon oneself. The connection between career development and living also shows in the author’s life story, wherein he takes on different jobs every week until he finds the start of his career at a phone company. His experiences in career development are analogous to one’s experiences in life, which brings out the inspiration from the book.

Unfortunately, the book contains multiple errors, which makes the book confusing to read at times. Examples include “If you can write a computer program in C++ that is ability” and “You should be aware that when the company does a reference check they will make inquires of your previous employer if the dismissal was for cause”; the former has a missing comma after “C++” and the latter misspelled “inquiries” as “inquires.” Based on the number of multiple errors, the book is not professionally edited.

Additionally, the book seems to be outdated because it doesn’t say anything about making connections through the Internet, which is a big deal because a lot of job applications today are being done via e-mail and LinkedIn. But considering that the book was first published in 2002, this is understandable. The advice contained in the book still applies to our digital age.

The book is essentially self-help applied to career development. Overall, Finding A Job in Tough Times is still a relevant book that can help people in their career development. But because the book is not professionally edited, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I can recommend this book to college graduates and workers who are looking for a job.

Finding A Job in Tough Times
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This book sounds like a very helpful resource. I wonder if the author can write an updated version that includes advice about making internet connections. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Finding a Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson is a workbook that aims to support those who are having problems with unemployment.The job seekers would definitely get guidance from this book.The author's action plan called " Six Steps to a Paycheck" provides a good course of action for those unemployed youth who can seek their career counseling from this.The author is also right in drawing a close relationships between career development with life in general.Besides the book contains useful exercises, all of which will help to reflect on his/her career development.
The book is recommended to all those who have either completed their education or on the way to, specially the university graduate would find it highly useful
kendallcurrier
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 224
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendallcurrier.html
Latest Review: The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song by Brian Kaufman

Post by kendallcurrier »

A book about career development that doesn't talk about using the internet doesn't seem very helpful in today's world. I'm not sure I would want to read it.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I am currently reading this book, and i can agree that i met a couple of errors as well. But otherwise, the book is a very helpful resource to job seekers. Thanks for an honest review.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Sounds like a very resourceful and helpful book, even though some of the suggestions are practical, the consider should consider updating the book to match the current times. Great review.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I read this book too. I think this is more of a workbook on ourselves than actually a quick solution to find a job. Maybe the title is a bit misleading, in my opinion. Good review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the idea of a workbook that asks you to think about your life. It would have been helpful if the author had included tips on how to handle online employment, but it sounds like his points are still applicable to anyone looking for a job. Great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”