Review by Y0landa -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fictio...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Review by Y0landa -- Creating Literary Stories: A Fictio...

Post by Y0landa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer’s Guide by William H. Coles, is a complete guide composed of 17 chapters for those who want to achieve excellence in writing a long-lasting and memorable literary fiction story. The author teaches how diving into the world of the imagination will allow one to structure their story with just the right set of elements and make way for endless creativity. Characters take the leading role on this journey towards plot progression and overcome obstacles along the way in pursuit of the author’s thematic goal. Learn the art form to engage readers and make a great literary piece come alive along with a lifetime enlightening message for mankind to reflect upon.

This book lists the key constituents that set literary fiction apart from other genres. Chapter by chapter, the author breaks down these important components and goes into depth describing each one in detail. I like how the author found ways of giving examples so that the book content would be easily understood. First of all, the new terms introduced in each chapter were listed and defined to clear any doubts before further reading the chapter. Second, I loved how the author takes one particular paragraph or dialogue from a literary piece and changes the structure over and over again to use as an example so that the reader can perceive with more clarity the different styles and characteristics used in literary fiction whilst at same time showing the reader what works and what doesn’t . Third, the use of similes and comparisons simplified the understanding because the reader is able to look at things from a different perspective. Fourth of all, I like how the author included a revision chapter (at the end) in the form of questions to aid the literary fiction writer in assuring they have covered all contents in their finished piece.

It was difficult to pinpoint what I didn’t like about the book. I did notice that at the end of each chapter there was a summary, but this wasn’t consistent as I noticed there wasn’t one in chapter 3. Nevertheless, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I found it very compact and complete and easy to comprehend such a difficult craft as is the literary fiction story.

I would highly recommend this book from ages 15 and above. I think at this age they would have majored the basics of writing and can then go onto a more complex field of writing.

This book has been professionally edited as I have only found just a few typos as you would occasionally find in any great and successful book.

Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

This seems to be a very interesting book. I noticed that the author has many books on this site. I did review one of them and I did find it interesting. I am only stating that because of the fact that the book you reviewed has writing advice, and I believe it is important to know whether or not the author produses quality content. That being said, I would love to read this book sometime.
Y0landa
Currently Reading:

Post by Y0landa »

corinaelena wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 00:04 This seems to be a very interesting book. I noticed that the author has many books on this site. I did review one of them and I did find it interesting. I am only stating that because of the fact that the book you reviewed has writing advice, and I believe it is important to know whether or not the author produses quality content. That being said, I would love to read this book sometime.
Yes! In my opinion, it's an excellent book! I was really intrigued to read it because the author has won many awards for fiction short stories, and I wanted to learn the secrets to writing a great fiction piece. I've gathered a lot of very helpful writing tips and I will keep this book at hand in case I should need to refer to it again. I am currently reading one of his titled,"The Surgeon's Wife". Would this happen to be one that you've reviewed? Thank you so much for your comment, I appreciate it!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Y0landa wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 11:00
corinaelena wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 00:04 This seems to be a very interesting book. I noticed that the author has many books on this site. I did review one of them and I did find it interesting. I am only stating that because of the fact that the book you reviewed has writing advice, and I believe it is important to know whether or not the author produses quality content. That being said, I would love to read this book sometime.
Yes! In my opinion, it's an excellent book! I was really intrigued to read it because the author has won many awards for fiction short stories, and I wanted to learn the secrets to writing a great fiction piece. I've gathered a lot of very helpful writing tips and I will keep this book at hand in case I should need to refer to it again. I am currently reading one of his titled,"The Surgeon's Wife". Would this happen to be one that you've reviewed? Thank you so much for your comment, I appreciate it!
Yes! That is the one I reviewed. I really enjoyed it, I hope you will find it interesting as well. Best of luck!
Y0landa
Currently Reading:

Post by Y0landa »

corinaelena wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 18:10
Y0landa wrote: 11 Sep 2019, 11:00
Yes! That is the one I reviewed. I really enjoyed it, I hope you will find it interesting as well. Best of luck!
Thank You! I can't wait to get started! Best of luck to you too! :D
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

This book will be helpful for those who love writing, especially fictional books. If you read one of his fictional stories you will know how talented he is. Thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”