Official Review: End Dieting Hell by Michelle Melendez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: End Dieting Hell by Michelle Melendez

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "End Dieting Hell" by Michelle Melendez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

End Dieting Hell is a self-help book that provides a new perspective on losing weight. The book talks about how a person can be “emotionally addicted” to the feeling of struggling with losing weight. The goal of the book is to help people find peace with one’s own body. Based on her experiences as a fitness instructor, Michelle Melendez imparts her advice on loving oneself to bring about the change the person needs.

The book starts with the author’s story, which details her insecurities when she was 13 years old and shows how she started to appreciate her own body. The book focuses on how behavioral memory patterns affect the way people think of themselves, including their self-image. The book also talks about the relationship between the cells and the emotions, the concept of “emotional body,” and the right routine for one’s body type. The book contains insights about finding peace with one’s own body, as well as knowing the purpose of one’s lifetime struggle with weight.

The book aims to merge biology, nutrition, sports science, and new age beliefs to provide an answer to the everlasting problem of losing weight. This mixture of concepts is explained through the author’s use of multiple stories, which I find entertaining and relatable. The stories about her experiences with clients are inspirational to read. Since the book is well-written and professionally edited, the book easily achieves its goal of aiding people to accept who they are, helping them find peace within themselves.

My only problem with the book is that the author misunderstood a scientific paper, which she uses to state that the heart “has a brain of its own.” The paper looked into how “intuition” is being handled by the human body. While the paper does say that the heart also plays a role in handling “intuition,” the conclusion of the paper says that “intuition” is not handled by a discrete organ (brain or heart alone), but rather by the whole body: a system-wide process.

Nevertheless, I don’t believe that the aforementioned misunderstanding gets in the way of the self-help aspect of the book. Overall, End Dieting Hell is a fascinating and helpful read for people who are trying to lose weight. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While it’s hard to recommend this book to those who don’t believe in new age beliefs, I can recommend this book to those who are having trouble losing weight.

End Dieting Hell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like that the author emphasized the need for self acceptance and love. It's often easy to fall into the pit of low-self esteem when we feel like our body doesn't meet societal standards of beauty. Thanks for a detailed review.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

The plotline of the book is wonderful. It is really important to accept oneself the way one is, then only one can find happiness. I appreciate the writer for choosing this issue. Wonderful review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It's important to be able to love your body at any state during your journey. I am glad the author emphasises self-acceptance. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

I think the perspective used by the author is unique and interesting, she seems to have taken a more all-encompassing view of the body. Thank you for the great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know many struggle to lose weight. For me, I'm not into new age beliefs. I may be able to overlook that, however, as I am curious what the author has to say. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

The goal of the book is to help people find peace with one’s own body. Based on her experiences as a fitness instructor, Michelle Melendez imparts her advice on loving oneself to bring about the change the person needs.
This is a perspective that I haven't heard before. Sounds like a really interesting book. Awesome review.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

As a person that has struggled with body image for a good portion of my life, I can agree that self-love and acceptance are needed in order to lose weight and be happy with yourself. Your review was excellent; thank you so much.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I love the message she’s sending. We need more health professionals to promote ideas of self love.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It would be interesting to see what her advice is on how to overcome emotional eating. From early childhood, we are taught that food is a reward. I would be curious to know how she weaves the new age ideas in with emotional eating. Great review!
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I have struggled with the idea of getting and keeping the perfect hourglass figure since puberty. I think I might relate to this book. It's definitely going on my bookshelf
Samson1919
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Samson1919 »

I read book and I like the way it teach about body fitness ,I love the aim of author to inspire people about body fitness
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I have always loved books that discuss struggles and serious issues, but have a light-hearted tone nonetheless, making me relate to it more. As someone who has went on many diets, this seems like a helpful read. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”