Official Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle

Post by srividyag1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hungry Heart" by Brenda Gayle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle is a romance filled with many twists and turns. The story follows Nora Cross, a thirty-five-year-old child advocate who heads a company. Nora experienced a strict upbringing, which made her social life very difficult. Her sister, Karen, wins a private cooking lesson from a charity auction and bestows it upon Nora. This cooking lesson brings Nora in contact with our hero, Hunter Graham, who is the heir to a business empire. He does not want the burden of the empire, but he is reluctant to confess to his family that he wants to be a chef and manage a restaurant. There is aroma-filled chemistry between Hunter and Nora, despite the cooking disasters in their first session.

Hunter is a playboy who shirks away from commitment. Nora, on the other hand, has no interest in a one-night stand. However, their mutual attraction makes them behave in unpredictable ways. Simultaneously, another storyline unfolds. Nora’s apartment and office are vandalized. She also gets the feeling that she is being stalked. Who wants to harm Nora? Is there something in her past that makes her a target? Will these disastrous events push Hunter and Nora farther apart, or will they grow closer? Will Hunter be able to commit himself to Nora? Will Nora be able to enjoy the pleasure Hunter offers without thinking too much about her future? These questions are answered in this beautiful tale of romance and intrigue.

I appreciated the way the author has unravelled the romance of Hunter and Nora. This is perhaps my favourite part of this book. Hunter and Nora do not fall in love at first sight, despite the unmistakable attraction between them. They have many fights and misunderstandings. Since Nora is older than Hunter by six years, the age difference bothers her. Similarly, Hunter is not used to courting independent women with altruistic goals and strong will. They stumble and mumble, yet fate keeps bringing them together. I also enjoyed the way the author has described scents. She uses these words - “chocolate and mint” and “cocoa and sandalwood” – to describe Hunter’s masculine scent. I found it difficult to imagine these unlikely combinations, yet they intrigued me.

I started reading this book expecting a cosy romance. I expected that this would be another clichéd romance with a billionaire playboy falling for a less wealthy, independent woman. Instead, I was rewarded with a heart-warming romance with many steamy scenes and a suspenseful tale with many twists. Nora is not just another independent woman. She is a workaholic who constantly doubts herself, yet she is prepared to fight for her noble cause i.e. children’s rights. Hunter is not just another billionaire playboy. He respects women and always treats them like princesses. However, he is unable to understand why Nora is the way she is. They irritate and intrigue each other at the same time. It was charming to see their relationship bloom. There are other characters in this book, but all of them pale in comparison to the protagonists.

The book seems professionally edited since I could find very few grammatical errors. Since I could not find anything that blemished the beauty of this novel, I give The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading a romance with suspenseful elements. If you are bored with cosy romances with the same plots, you must try this book. However, if you are not a big fan of romance, you might not like this. Keep in mind that this book has many steamy scenes. There is also a kidnapping scene with some violence. Hence, I would not recommend this book to younger audiences.

The Hungry Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

That seems like a very intense love story. I like the fact that the author decided to include an age gap, making the woman older than the man. I might read it soon. Thank you for the review!
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

This book explores a complex love story with an interesting twist where the man is younger than the woman. I have no doubt in my mind that anyone who cares to read romantic books will want to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle is a tricky story of romance between
Nora and Hunnter.They have seen many ups and down in this love affair.In this romance suspenseful elements are dominant.The story is a complicated love affair.Nora considers herself older than Hunter.Earlier Nora had spent a disciplinary life. Nora despite her difficult life, encountered is found to be loyal to the children's rights. Suspenseful elements create uncertainty throughout the whole love story.
The book is a good read for those who enjoy reading a romantic affair.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciated your comments about this book's themes. Many readers of cozies enjoy the story without all the steamy scenes. Thanks for your candid comments about this book.
Valar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valar.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by Valar »

It looks like a beautiful as well as a complicated love story. The parallel storyline also seems to be interesting and thrilling.
" The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go" - Dr. Seuss
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I would like to read on the different expectations on romance between Hunter and Nora. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

It’s nice to know right off the bat that this book is not just another rich playboy dating a poorer independent woman story. Nicely done.
Michello9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Michello9 »

Following from the preview of this masterpiece, there are uncertainty about what is about to happen next in the lives of the two, however not minding Nora's upbringing, Hunter would be right if he feels she has a past which is hunting her. This work is not just about the Romance, it is suspence filled.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Sounds like an interesting romantic story. The couple each of who have strong personalities have to learn to let go of a lot of things in order to enjoy the beautiful gift that is love.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thanks for a great review, sounds like a very interesting book. I like the idea that their love for one another is brought in gradually rather than them falling in love with each other at first sight.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”