Official Review: What Happened Last Year by Jaci Resor

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Official Review: What Happened Last Year by Jaci Resor

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Happened Last Year" by Jaci Resor.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What Happened Last Year by Jaci Resor is a story of heartbreak and love. Eva lost her husband, Darren, last year. She had no idea what happened to him. He disappeared without a trace, and everyone believed that he had died. Eva decided that she would hire someone to help her run her farm, and a man named Daryl accepted the position. Unbeknownst to Eva, Daryl is her husband, but he can’t tell her. He had escaped from a group of kidnappers. They are in jail, but he is hiding, nonetheless.

The premise of this book sounded promising: a man hiding from a group of criminals who went home to try and comfort his grieving wife. However, the execution was extremely poor. The writing was a mess. I spotted more than ten errors in the first chapter alone. They weren’t small errors either; there were misspelled words, missing words, and all kinds of punctuation errors. Most of them would have been caught by a word processing system or online grammar checker.

In addition to the grammatical issues, the writing wasn’t interesting. There was almost no descriptive language. Instead, Resor stated what was happening.

The characters were also incredibly flat. Eva was a stereotypical damsel in distress. She spent the entire book pining away for Darren, even though an entire year had passed since he had disappeared. She also ended up sleeping with Daryl before she that knew he was Darren. She fell for the first man she had contact with, even though she claimed she still was madly in love with her husband. Darren also wasn’t an interesting character. He had escaped from a year of being tortured by a group of criminals. However, there was no mention of any damage to him other than a few scars. If Resor had gone into the psychological ramifications of the torture, Darren could have been an interesting character. Instead, Resor only mentioned a few physical scars and nothing else.

Overall, I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The summary made this book sound promising. However, there are a plethora of issues with it. For such a short book, there are a disconcerting number of errors. In its current state, I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone; I especially would caution against younger readers because of the sexual content. If this book was carefully edited, it might be a fun, short read. However, it is not worth suffering through in its current state.

What Happened Last Year
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Wow! I'm bemused. Did Darren get a facial transplant or something; what wife will not recognize her husband after a one year absence?
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I agree that the initial premise for this book sounds very interesting. It's unfortunate that the execution was done poorly. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like the idea behind this is a good one. Unfortunately, it needs some work. The errors would be overwhelming, and I don't like being told instead of shown. All in all, I'll pass. I do hope the author can take your suggestions to heart. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 08:46 Wow! I'm bemused. Did Darren get a facial transplant or something; what wife will not recognize her husband after a one year absence?
I couldn't agree more. I too was wondering what exactly was different about Darren after one year that his wife couldn't recognize him.
Thehorselover
Currently Reading: Irma's Daughters
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thehorselover.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Thehorselover »

Wow, I’m gonna have to take notes from you! Your review is so descriptive, lengthy, and to the point at the same time. I’m a beginner reviewer and need all the tips I can get, thanks!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Thanks for the Review! I had considered picking this book because it looked interesting and sounded like a good story. You saved me a lot of disappointment. Sorry it turned out to have so many issues!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 08:46 Wow! I'm bemused. Did Darren get a facial transplant or something; what wife will not recognize her husband after a one year absence?
Yeah, it didn't make sense to me either. I think the author tried to imply that the torture somehow wore him down and changed his demeanor enough to make him seem different. Thanks for commenting.
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Rachel Lea wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 15:18 I agree that the initial premise for this book sounds very interesting. It's unfortunate that the execution was done poorly. Thanks for your review!
The summary did interest me, which is why I chose it, and I think with some major edits it could be a fun read. Thanks for commenting!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 19:52 It sounds like the idea behind this is a good one. Unfortunately, it needs some work. The errors would be overwhelming, and I don't like being told instead of shown. All in all, I'll pass. I do hope the author can take your suggestions to heart. Thanks.
It does need work. I feel like it was written and not edited at all. Thanks for commenting!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Thehorselover wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 12:02 Wow, I’m gonna have to take notes from you! Your review is so descriptive, lengthy, and to the point at the same time. I’m a beginner reviewer and need all the tips I can get, thanks!
Thank you so much! I know when I first started off on this site I read so many reviews to try and figure out the best way to go about them. It just takes practice.
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 14:08 Thanks for the Review! I had considered picking this book because it looked interesting and sounded like a good story. You saved me a lot of disappointment. Sorry it turned out to have so many issues!
Thanks for commenting!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

My thoughts exactly! How bizarre for an author to write... I am definitely passing on this story. Thanks for your honest and great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

This was all I could think of reading this review! How did she not know?
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

The book has a very unique and interesting plotline. Unfortunately, spelling errors are something I could never tolerate when reading a novel so I probably won't add it to my reading list. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”