Official Review: Two Wrongs by Anthony L. Baker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: Two Wrongs by Anthony L. Baker

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Two Wrongs" by Anthony L. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Anthony L. Baker’s Two Wrongs delves deep into the human psyche as one ponders the lives of twin brothers, Vincent and Victor Taylor. One man is a high-powered attorney; the other is on death row, claiming to be innocent. Both men have found themselves caught up in the cleverest crime of the century, in very different ways. Can they save each other? Do they want to? Who will hurt the most in the end?

Vincent and Victor have been fooling people all of their lives. Their father is also a world-class pro at fooling people. Moms (their nickname for their mother) loves them fiercely and never ceases praying for her boys. Moms is the only one who could always tell them apart. Well, almost always. The women in their lives find them confusing. Vincent’s best buddy, Junior, sees the truth, which can put him in some awkward positions.

There are a host of other supporting characters, most of whom are well-developed. Cassie loves money, first and foremost; Terri is a sweetheart who has been wronged too many times; Patricia, an FBI agent, has found the love of her life. My favorite character, though, has to be Moms. She has to make hard choices throughout the story and always puts what’s “right” first, despite that often not being what’s “easy.” Her major struggle in life is not being able to fix the significant rivalry issues her boys have with each other. Moms’ ability to see right through people is uncanny.

At times, the imagery makes you feel like solitary confinement is around the corner. I could “smell” the disgusting scents (urine, mold, rats) that were described. In one prison fight, one could almost feel the punch in the nose as the blood streamed out of it. It gave me the shudders.

Without a doubt, Baker’s ability to create suspense was my favorite part of the book. Baker keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the novel. Every time you think that you’ve figured it all out, you are shocked by some crazy yet believable twist. If you are the kind of person who always figures out the ending, this story is for you, as you WON’T figure this one out.

The cover art was unappealing to me. You see two chairs and two ping-pong paddles. I suppose sets of two represent twins, but I just didn’t find the depiction appealing. Something more sizzling would have been appropriate. Perhaps two men, sitting back-to-back in chairs would draw readers in as they sense their rivalry.

I rate Two Wrongs 4 out of 4 stars. The editing is professional, without error. The storyline is well-developed and intriguing at every turn. Outside of the cover, the story is flawless. This is one of the best books I’ve read in the past year or two. There is some strong profanity, as well as a few mildly erotic scenes. Readers who enjoy gripping crime novels will especially enjoy this book. If you can’t handle vivid descriptions of bad things happening to people, this is not the book for you.

Two Wrongs
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

This sounds intriguing! Thanks for the review! Haven’t read a good crime novel in a while
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds like an interesting book, the suspense part has me intrigued. I love suspenseful page turners. Seems like you also enjoyed it. Your review is really full of good merit and sound. Thank you for the recommendation.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review of Two Wrongs. You had me at "...cleverest crime of the century." This novel sounds suspenseful. I enjoy books with well-developed characters.Thank you for the recommendation.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I will probably pass on Two Wrongs because some of the content would disturb me, but this book certainly sounds well-written and I'm glad that you enjoyed reading it. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an interesting read... and with professional editing! That is always a good sign. Thanks for this great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. The crime of the century with two twins no one can tell apart? Count me in. I agree that the cover could be more interesting, though. Thanks for the detailed review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

I thought the book cover with perfect the two ping-pong paddles represent competition I get it I never spend too much time looking at the cover as I am more interested in what’s in between the pages. This was a great review that I thoroughly enjoyed and agree work with the exception of the cover. Thanks for the great review!
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Definitely an intriguing book. That was a pretty good review. Gave enough details of the book without giving away the whole story. I will be checking this book out.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

Sounds like a great read what with all the suspense! I am also confused about the cover. Great review!
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Janalyn101 wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 07:01 I thought the book cover with perfect the two ping-pong paddles represent competition I get it I never spend too much time looking at the cover as I am more interested in what’s in between the pages. This was a great review that I thoroughly enjoyed and agree work with the exception of the cover. Thanks for the great review!
I just found it very dry and boring, in comparison to the book.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Adding this to my list now! Thank you!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

This sounds like a great read! I love suspense and I'm always trying to guess the ending. I'm excited to read the unpredictable ending.
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

The idea behind this book seems quite unique, and it explores a topic I am not very knowledgable about, which makes me more willing to read it. Great review!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for another insightful review! The book sounds like really interesting. I like your mention of the twists being "crazy yet believable." Sometimes authors try so hard to create unique plot twists that the story becomes too unrealistic. I'm glad to see this isn't the case here. The book deserves a more exciting cover!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”