Review by briellejee -- Gringo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by briellejee -- Gringo

Post by briellejee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you ever think about what happens to people who have their names on the FBI's wanted list? Well, wonder no more as Dan "Tito" Davis brings light to your curiosity with Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive, his very own memoir. This is not your standard autobiography: nothing in this book is typical and expected.

The book starts with Dan boarding a train to Mexico; not for the tacos and fajitas, but to escape his life imprisonment sentence. Jumping from one country to another, Dan's life as a fugitive isn't easy as he meets different kinds of people and ends up in the most dangerous places. Involving himself in various cultures and third-world countries, his life on the run isn't exactly pleasant. Will he be able to survive? Will he be able to live a life of always looking behind his back?

The author's writing style was engaging that I didn't hesitate to pick up the book when I sampled it. By blending the narration with fascinating facts and humor, he certainly got hold of my attention and never let it go. He also knew how to end his chapters intriguing, having the reader wanting more. True stories tend to be boring, yet this book was anything but that.

Furthermore, the urgency of the dangers he faced was felt throughout the book. From being held captive in a foreign country to almost being robbed and killed, Dan's life being on the run was one heck of a rollercoaster ride—which, I think, made this memoir stood out from the rest. The author's choice of words and how he described each situation vividly exuded heavy emotion. The straightforward writing style also reminds the reader that everything that happened is not just an exaggeration but authentic and factual.

What I liked most about the book was the humorous aspect. From the story of Dan being peed on by a pig to having to sit beside a lady full of lice, it certainly made up for the dark and heavy topic. The footnotes translating the unfamiliar languages used and explaining some general information in the story were also helpful. What I didn't like was the expounded backstories that were better left unsaid; because of it, the book was at a dull pace at some point.

I don't usually read memoirs, but Gringo: My Life on the Edge as an International Fugitive was worth the exception. After finishing the book, I was hoping Dan could have the life he had wanted than rotting in prison. Life is unfair, and his story is proof of it. I give this book a 3 out of 4 stars rating. There were grammatical errors, mostly words that should be in the past tense and missing commas. Hence, the deduction of one star.

If you're looking for an intriguing and fast-paced adventure, then this is for you. I would not recommend this book to a younger audience since it involves violence, drugs, erotica, and profanity. If you also don't like the aforementioned things, might as well skip this one out too.

As per tradition, I leave you one of my favorite lines:

"I assumed this was because he had made up so many lies to reinvent himself along his journey that he no longer seemed like a real person"

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I also reviewed the book. It recounts interesting to poignant events of Dan Tito's life. Like you, I enjoyed this too very much. Thanks for this interesting review!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I don't usually read memoirs, but it sounds interesting. I might give it a try. Thanks for the great review!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I like that not only was this book an exciting read, but the author also took the time to incorporate some of the funny things that happened to him. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for a thorough review!
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I too loved the book, its humorous especially when he kept calling himself "stupid Gringo". Also, one gets to travel the world through Tito's eyes. Great review.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This is a comprehensive review, with wise and honest critique. I also reviewed this book sometime back. I enjoyed reading. Thanks.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

It sounds like this book would be difficult to put down! Thanks for the thorough review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I don't read memoirs but this one sounds a different one. Hope it turns out to be great. Thanks a lot for the review :tiphat:
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have also reviewed this book and absolutely agree that this was a very unique kind of a memoir. Thanks for the lovely review!
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I remember this being one of the first books I read here. While I wasn't a big fan, I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)
"Growth is the essence of life."
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow&rsquo;s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Thanks for an excellent review! I saw this book a couple of weeks ago and started to get it, but didn't, and now I'm sorry I didn't. From your review, it sounds very intense and exciting. I can't imagine what it would be like to be on the run. Always looking over your shoulder; surrounded by strangers; and not knowing who to trust! I think I will get a copy of this book and read it between books I'm reviewing. Thanks for the insight into it that helped me make up my mind! I hope you are doing well!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Seems like an interesting book to pick up. Good thing about the humorous bits too. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 23:58 I also reviewed the book. It recounts interesting to poignant events of Dan Tito's life. Like you, I enjoyed this too very much. Thanks for this interesting review!
Glad to know I am not the only one who enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting! Will check out your review as well!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 10:07 I don't usually read memoirs, but it sounds interesting. I might give it a try. Thanks for the great review!
As stated above, I also don't read memoirs and making me read and review it means it's worth the exception. Hope you did give this a try! Thanks for commenting!
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

unamilagra wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:18 I like that not only was this book an exciting read, but the author also took the time to incorporate some of the funny things that happened to him. Sounds like a great read. Thanks for a thorough review!
It made the mood light enough amidst the heavy topics. Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”