Official Review: A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Desperate Turn of Events" by M J Clark.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our existence today in America would not be what it is without brave men and women from the past standing up for freedom. In his book, A Desperate Turn of Events: A Revolutionary Rewrite, MJ Clark takes readers on a trip to 1777 when the king of England was on a rampage to squash a rebellion band of people who decided that they no longer wanted to be under Britain's control. The British were quite certain that they had the upper hand against a group of young boys and farmers led by George Washington. But, after two years of battling and chasing the enemy, the king was at his breaking point. This is where the novel begins as the countdown to Valley Forge gets underway.

I liked how this author wove together a tale about what events could have happened. As we all know from our history classes, Washington and his men faced one of the largest militias ever with few weapons and support on their side. How did they come out the victor when all the odds were stacked against them? MJ Clark writes a compelling storyline complete with spies and those working against the royal crown. Readers are invited into both war rooms as each side discusses their strategies and how to outmaneuver the other. The two points of view are what made the book so suspenseful. I was never in the dark about what was about to happen, but even the best-laid plans can get thwarted, so the element of surprise was not forgotten either.

Usually, in books that depict battle, the graphic scenes can be horrific, but I did not find that to be the case with this one. As far as language and sexual scenes, both were light to non-existent. They say that all is fair in love and war, so some of the spies employed by the Americans were ladies of the night, but there was only one slight scene that sexual content was implied but not gone into too much. I don't like a lot of violence or sexual explicitness, so this was also a nice feature of this novel. I didn't feel uncomfortable reading the content at all.

George Washington expressed his love for God and the need for prayer as he faced off with his opponents. His beliefs are recorded from a Christian standpoint, but there is not an agenda to push Christianity on the readers of this book. The conflict between the two countries was described as a David and Goliath moment which is in reference to a story from the Bible.

The biggest drawback was the many errors I found in the writing mainly revolving around dialogue where the punctuation was not correct. I also found some formatting issues and places where capitalization was not done properly. Because of this, I suspect that a professional editing job was not done on this manuscript, so I would recommend that this take place because the plot of the novel is so good, and these mistakes can easily be fixed. Other than that, I have no other faults to find, so I am awarding 3 out of 4 stars for the wonderful and intriguing retelling of the Revolutionary War. For those who like historical fiction, you will find this one to be a gem, and for readers who don't enjoy books that involve war or history, you might want to pass on this one.

A Desperate Turn of Events
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Everything happens for a reason...
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

The title of the book is an attention-grabber and after reading through the review, I am convinced that this is one book that I need to read. Thank you for your insightful review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Despite the editing errors, I like the David and Goliath comparison. Excellent review--thanks for the recommendation.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

A story of the Revolutionary War that reveals what both generals were thinking and planning sounds appealing! I enjoyed your description of Washington. Your positive review of this book makes me want to read this. Thanks!
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Sounds like great read! Thanks for the heads up on the content too. Very helpful!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review! The premise of a rewrite of historical events sounds interesting. It's a shame about the poor editing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Desperate Turn of Events by MJ Clark. MJ Clark gives us the description of the battle fought between the king of England and forces of George Washington in the year 1777. Clark tells us that situations change despite all the powerful strength of the king of England and situation turned against the king of England after two years s battling.The British were fully satisfied that they would definitely win but situation turned against them.Strong will and determination of George Washington and his forces gave them the success, as they had made it clear that they no longer wanted to be under the control of the king of England and this determination and meticulous planning saved them from this quagmire.This book is good for all those who take interest in this Revolutionary battle, which guides us to be firm and hard working in our mission against of strong opponent.
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

The book's idea seems very insightful and unique, but the errors would lead me not to read it. It is one of the few things that I cannot stand in any book. Great review!
Passion23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Passion23 »

I really like how the review on this book was invented ; the review gave me sense of thought to were i can actually read a book that is pertaining to war and the bible . I will try my best to get around to reading it . I will add it to my bookshelves
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

Wow! This review is awesome. I don't really enjoy historical fiction novels, but I'm sure I'll enjoy this.

Return to “Historical Fiction”