Official Review: Urban Shepherd...Chasing the American Dr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Urban Shepherd...Chasing the American Dr...

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Urban Shepherd...Chasing the American Dream" by Ben Amor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Urban Shepherd…Chasing the American Dream, by Ben Amor, unveils the author’s life journey as a humanitarian. Ben is an American of Tunisian descent. He was born in 1946 in a small Tunisian village in North Africa. In 1983, he decided to make a difference in the world after having a revelation. He was haunted by a recurring nightmare, which had images of starving children crying for help in different languages. Hence, in 1984, he quit his well-paid job, as a computer technician, and invested all his savings in a nonprofit organization to respond to the beckoning of the hungry children in his dreams.

In order to achieve his dream, Ben created Terra-Genesis as his first step to fight world hunger. Terra-Genesis is based in San Antonio. It’s a grassroots organization founded to support family wellbeing, support personal responsibility, and provide easy access to information in order to create high self-esteem and self-sufficiency. In an interesting way, the book reveals the author’s life journey, from childhood to adult life; it tells about his education, jobs, family, marriage, and military life. Also, it shows the various projects Terra-Genesis initiated and carried out in the United States and around the world, telling how it overcame obstacles and conflict.

This book is well organized and engaging. Being easy to read, it’s enlightening and motivational. The author provides his life experiences to motivate readers to dream and follow up to realize their dreams. He uses his story to show how one can add action to goal and achieve success. He tells how goals can be achieved by establishing priorities. This book is an inspiring one, and I don’t think there is anyone who wouldn’t appreciate it, but if you’re not a non-fiction fan, you can skip it. At the end of it, the author provides 313 personal motivational quotes, apart from those woven into the story. Included also are many black and white photos which support and make the story more relatable.

Urban Shepherd…Chasing the American Dream contains a brief history of Tunisia and its politics. Again, it reveals how Terra-Genesis developed professionally and how Ben and his team worked very hard to make the organization better and more efficient. It shows how Terra-Genesis expanded, as Ben’s dreams got realized. It tells how the organization made available a directory which provides knowledge to the underprivileged to empower them to be self-sufficient.

Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I couldn’t rate it lower because it contains an inspiring story and valuable information that can improve the lives of the readers. It shows how Ben, who was a little shepherd boy born and raised in Tunisia, became a successful man, as an “Urban Shepherd” helping others to become successful in America. In addition, the book was well edited, but I saw some grammar errors, particularly missing commas, which are not distracting. I recommend it to readers who love books showing the efforts others are putting in to end global poverty.

Urban Shepherd...Chasing the American Dream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

This is definitely an ispiration book. Will check it out. Great review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

The author has a great calling. Fighting hunger can not be an easy thing. May he blessed. Thank you for the review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I have heard of Terra-Genesis and the work they do. This seems like a really interesting book for learning about how they started and where they are going.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I was not sure whether the book would interest me after I read the title but upon learning that it is inspiring and motivating; I look forward to reading it. Many thanks for the insightful review.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. Books that can inspire and promote self-sufficiency are high in my wheel-house when choosing what to read. I enjoyed reading your review of The Urban Shepherd. I would appreciate reading about the author's journey towards the American dream, and learning how he and his organization grew from the experience. Thank you again for your review.😌😌
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"Urban Shepherd -------Chasing the American Dream" by Ben Amor.Ben faced difficulties in his childhood as well as an adult.Through a dream he was motivated to start a program to abolish hunger from the area.To achieve this goal of abolishing hunger, he established an NGO Terra -Genesis in San Antonio.Through this organisation, he created self sufficiency as well as self esteem among the financially disadvantages groups.
The author beautifully shares his experience with readers and advises them to bring this type of positive change in the lives of the ultra poor people and children in the society.He is right in his contention that if you want to do something positive for the well beings of others then you have to prioritize your activities to achieve that very objective.The book provides an insightful thinking that if one is determined then he or she has to overcome many obstacles in the way to progress.The book would definitely create a sense of confidence in those who want to be of any value for the well being of the society as a whole
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

One of a Hero. Not easy to sacrifice your career just to serve others. And to sacrifice a hard earn money just to help. This is interesting book. Hope I can find time to read this. Thank you!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”