Official Review: Bright Lights, Dark Shadows: The Shadow ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Bright Lights, Dark Shadows: The Shadow ...

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bright Lights, Dark Shadows: The Shadow Side of Celebrity and Fame" by Mimi Amaral.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being a celebrity can have its benefits, such as wealth, power, and fame. Doesn't sound so bad, right? But what happens when the paparazzi invade your privacy, when the stalkers become aggressive and dangerous? Or when you simply express your true feelings, and you're judged harshly by society? Is this the price of fame? Does this affect the man behind the legend? Mimi Amaral highlighted the consequences of success in Bright Lights, Dark Shadows: The Shadow Side of Celebrity and Fame.

Inspired by Carl Jung's theory of the collective unconscious, the author unveils the shadowed framework of notoriety and takes us through the tumultuous world of entertainment. Firstly, I liked the composition of the book which expresses a panorama of celebrities' statements with psychological nuances. In a world where actors, musicians, or athletes are considered a mere figurine of the mass-media, this non-fictional work emphasizes the mental turmoil which they are going through. The desire to please fans seems to overpower their will to take care of their emotional well-being. In her book, Amaral features the vulnerability of famous people to cognitive distortions, such as stress, depression, or suicidal thoughts. She showed her eloquent ability to write by expressing her opinion, exposing real facts, and proposing a constructive solution.

Secondly, I was impressed by the concept of creating a unique division, Entertainment Psychology. The aim of this department would be to develop the psychological field and to offer mental health support to the artists during the creative process. According to the references at the end of the book, the author seems to have done some in-depth research. These refer to books on psychology regarding the behavior of stars and to some famous newspapers (People Magazine, The New York Times, The Guardian, etc.) This made me feel as if I was reading a thorough review of the entertainment industry. I even liked the book cover which symbolizes the disagreement between the glitz image and the shadowed self. The accent on the gloominess made me reflect on the thin thread that separates the world of glamour from the harsh effects it can have on the human psyche.

I believe this book could be beneficial for any person who wants to become the next Johnny Cash or Scarlett Johansson. Also, those who are overwhelmed by their success and feel that they don't fully "embrace their authentic self" might find the author's message uplifting - "you are not alone." But if the subject in question isn't of any interest then consider passing.

The book appears to be professionally edited. I only found minor grammar errors regarding the missing determiners and unnecessary commas. In some quotes, there were a few expletives (around two), which really didn't interfere in the informative read. I didn't find anything that displeased me in this work, and I'm pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Bright Lights, Dark Shadows: The Shadow Side of Celebrity and Fame
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like an interesting read, especially the Entertainment Psychology portion. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel sorry for most celebrities. All of their lives are on display. All their opinions are critiqued. I don't think I could handle it. I'm still interested in the book, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Cecilia_L wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 09:35 This sounds like an interesting read, especially the Entertainment Psychology portion. Thanks for the recommendation.
Yes, this was an interesting concept. Honestly, I had no idea that this area has no HR departments which will help the employees of the Entertainment with different issues. I never thought of that, and I wrongly assumed that, on that high level, the HR would be much developed than other average working fields. Thank you for your comment, Cecilia!
kandscreeley wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 20:23 I feel sorry for most celebrities. All of their lives are on display. All their opinions are critiqued. I don't think I could handle it. I'm still interested in the book, though. Thanks!
I know what you mean. It will be an overwhelming lifestyle for me too. It's a shame that only because they choose a job title of acting or singing, and they are very good at what they do, they must endure a psychic breakdown. Of course, there are some happy endings in the world of entertainment, too.

Happy reading, kandscreeley! I appreciate your thoughts!
~Tayma Tameem
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

How fascinating that this book explores the darker side of fame that the media mostly neglect. I enjoyed your in-depth review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Paparazzi can really influence greatly the life of a celebrity. I remember the case of one publicized case in the UK not long ago. Thanks for the insightful review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Makes me want to look and see if any Universities offer classes specifically on Entertainment Psychology. You would think the UCLA might. I also think this might be a good read for anyone. I often get sick of seeing people claim that celebrities shouldn't share their opinion about anything because they are just actors, athletes, etc, and because of that, somehow they don't count.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 00:35 How fascinating that this book explores the darker side of fame that the media mostly neglect. I enjoyed your in-depth review.
I guess this doesn't clarify in the 'first-page' titles. Maybe, if the dark news would include harsh criticism. Thank you for your time!
Wyland wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 11:39 Paparazzi can really influence greatly the life of a celebrity. I remember the case of one publicized case in the UK not long ago. Thanks for the insightful review.
There are some controversial discussions about paparazzi's job. I think we are a long distance away from creating an equilibrated balance between public and private. Thank you for stopping by, Wyland!
esp1975 wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 13:41 Makes me want to look and see if any Universities offer classes specifically on Entertainment Psychology. You would think the UCLA might. I also think this might be a good read for anyone. I often get sick of seeing people claim that celebrities shouldn't share their opinion about anything because they are just actors, athletes, etc, and because of that, somehow they don't count.
I was curious too, but I didn't find anything in my research, except the author's petition. It seems that sports have a similar field of study, Sport Psychology, but nothing on Entertainment branch. If you detect something related to the topic, would you be kind to share it, please? I would love to learn more. I appreciate your comment, esp!
~Tayma Tameem
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I am not a celebrity and would not love to be one because these people go through a lot including invasion of their privacy. The price celebrities pay for the fame is so high such as harsh judgement. I am happy that the authors explores hard life that celebrities face. Thank you for insightful review.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

OuKoyoo wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 09:35 I am not a celebrity and would not love to be one because these people go through a lot including invasion of their privacy. The price celebrities pay for the fame is so high such as harsh judgement. I am happy that the authors explores hard life that celebrities face. Thank you for insightful review.
I'm more of a fan of the peaceful shadow than the chaotic light. So, I'm with you, OuKoyoo! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
~Tayma Tameem
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Being in the spotlight is hard. Knowing the toll it can have on the psyche, it is amazing that more celebrities don't succumb to drugs, alcohol, and/or a complete breakdown. I also like that the author suggests a new class titled, "Entertainment Psychology." It seems like it should be a required class in obtaining a Psychology degree. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for the informative and interesting review! :-)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 23:35 Being in the spotlight is hard. Knowing the toll it can have on the psyche, it is amazing that more celebrities don't succumb to drugs, alcohol, and/or a complete breakdown. I also like that the author suggests a new class titled, "Entertainment Psychology." It seems like it should be a required class in obtaining a Psychology degree. I look forward to reading this book. Thanks for the informative and interesting review! :-)
Yes, it is so easy to slip towards the disintegration in these conditions. It seems that this new psychological division could prevent the fall. I think you'll enjoy this one. Thank you for your comment, Crystal! It is much appreciated!
~Tayma Tameem
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Definitely my kind of book. Would love to read it. Thanks for your great review, InStoree.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

LinaMueller wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 07:45 Definitely my kind of book. Would love to read it. Thanks for your great review, InStoree.
Happy reading :techie-studyinggray: ! Thanks for your comment, Lina!
~Tayma Tameem
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

It may not be everybody's dream to be celebrity, rich and famous, but majority of us are dreaming to be one. Though, the gray areas of being famous, is, not all wants you to see what you are, but to see you what they want to be. That is to deeply in trouble. I think I can learn lessons if were able to read this book. Nice review. Thanks.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”