Official Review: The Secret Letters of Donald J. Trump ag...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: The Secret Letters of Donald J. Trump ag...

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret Letters of Donald J. Trump age 72 1/6" by Rudolf t. g. Hess.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secret Letters of Donald J. Trump, 72 1/6 is a satirical book by Rudolf Hess (the author’s pen name). It is a collection of fictional letters “written” by President Donald Trump to various people, including politicians, family members, and celebrities. Unsurprisingly, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are represented here. However, some of the letter recipients are unexpected, such as Nelson Mandela, Oprah Winfrey, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. There is also an explanation given by a fictional journalist about how the letters came into his possession.

President Trump’s tendency toward self-aggrandizement is on full display here. He frequently maligns the media’s treatment of him as “fake news,” even when writing to his son Barron’s teacher. It is clear that everything is all about him, whether he is discussing international politics or any mundane topic. What is interesting, and also very disturbing, is how similar these rambling letters are in style to Mr. Trump’s real-life tweets and press conferences.

Even though this is a fictional story, it is clear the factual references have been well researched. There are not-so-subtle references to media figures’ sexual harassment scandals (for example, Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, and Roger Ailes). These details add flavor and lift the book beyond standard comedic fare.

The book is written in a stream-of-consciousness style. There are countless humorous moments, such as President Trump ordering the National Parks Department to put his face on Mount Rushmore. In his letter to Russian President Vladimir Putin, he compares their relationship to his grandparents’ secret love affairs. The funniest line in the book might be when President Trump states that “Don Jr. is up for the surprise of his life” in comments regarding his will.

The heart of President Trump’s boastful and “thin-skin” personality is captured well. Still, I became dizzy by all of the random complaints and endless pats on the back. Sure, the author might have hit the nail on the head, in the same way an impressionist does in a comedy routine. However, the egotistical ramblings became a bit much over the course of the entire book. It would have helped if there had been fewer and/or shorter letters.

Although there are a few minor errors in the book, the writing has a sophisticated quality. It is no easy feat to purposely write in a rambling style and, at the same time, craft an easy-to-understand narrative. While each letter goes wildly off topic, this appears to be the author’s intent in portraying President Trump’s nature.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a witty read that is full of clever details. Some readers may be put off by the irreverent tone. However, I believe the general public has become somewhat immune to political satire, given the never-ending cycle of cable news and social media. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy political satire, particularly Democrats. It would probably not appeal to Republicans who enthusiastically support President Trump, as they may be sensitive to the way he is lampooned in this collection.

The Secret Letters of Donald J. Trump age 72 1/6
View: on Bookshelves
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Political satire is not something I gravitate towards. I love your descriptions of this one, though. It sounds like the author covers a bit of everyone.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I'd like to read this, but I suspect many of the references will go over the head of people not from the US (I've never heard of Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, and Roger Ailes. for example). Still like to read it, though. Thanks for a great review!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 20:01 Political satire is not something I gravitate towards. I love your descriptions of this one, though. It sounds like the author covers a bit of everyone.
Thanks Kandscreeley! The letter writer sounded so much like the actual person, in style and substance, that I sometimes forgot I was reading a satirical book. :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 02:20 I'd like to read this, but I suspect many of the references will go over the head of people not from the US (I've never heard of Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, and Roger Ailes. for example). Still like to read it, though. Thanks for a great review!
Thanks Brendan for the nice feedback! I know how you feel; when I read a British novel, some of the references will go over my head. Just for the record, Matt Lauer and Charlie Rose had been well-known hosts of morning talk shows on television for many years. Roger Ailes had been the chairman of Fox News, a major television news station. All three men were fired (or forced to resign) as the result of sexual harassment scandals.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I love satirical books and that makes me want to read this particular one. even though it is a fictional story, I am happy that the author took time to make some factual references which adds flavor to the read. Thank your this review.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

If I read political satire, this would definitely be on my list! It sounds like the author captured him well, which would be hilarious, but would also, sadly, stress me out (this is what is running our country, how is it even possible?!).

Anyway, I had to read this review, and it did not disappoint!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

OuKoyoo wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 20:50 I love satirical books and that makes me want to read this particular one. even though it is a fictional story, I am happy that the author took time to make some factual references which adds flavor to the read. Thank your this review.
Thanks OuKoyoo for your comments! The author did a great time of inserting true occurrences in an otherwise fictional book.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Gravy wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 21:02 If I read political satire, this would definitely be on my list! It sounds like the author captured him well, which would be hilarious, but would also, sadly, stress me out (this is what is running our country, how is it even possible?!).

Thanks Gravy! I feel the same way. The book made me upset, even though it was funny. It's like saying, "wouldn't it be funny to see a dog driving a car," and then seeing dogs drive cars everywhere. Not so funny anymore. Even in politics, truth is often stranger than fiction. Did you ever read "The Emperor's New Clothes" when you were a child? I think we are witnessing this everyday in our country.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think I am with @Gravy . Reading this book would stress me out as it would remind who is in the White House. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to read it and laugh.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I love your reference to the naked emperor. Democrats will buy this book and rave. While it may give us many laughs, the truth would certainly hurt. Has the world gone to the dogs?
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

"tendency toward self-aggrandizement" -- well put. Sounds like an interesting concept...but I think I would get too depressed reading it. I wonder what the letter to Denmark would sound like now that he isn't allowed to buy Greenland (WTF?).
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Wow, it sounds like the author executed this perfectly. I don’t think I could handle this book right now because what I see in the news is more than enough. Maybe in a couple decades I’ll be able too look back and laugh with this book. Great review!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

bookowlie wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 10:21
Gravy wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 21:02 If I read political satire, this would definitely be on my list! It sounds like the author captured him well, which would be hilarious, but would also, sadly, stress me out (this is what is running our country, how is it even possible?!).

Thanks Gravy! I feel the same way. The book made me upset, even though it was funny. It's like saying, "wouldn't it be funny to see a dog driving a car," and then seeing dogs drive cars everywhere. Not so funny anymore. Even in politics, truth is often stranger than fiction. Did you ever read "The Emperor's New Clothes" when you were a child? I think we are witnessing this everyday in our country.
That is a very special comparison. :lol:

Dogs driving cars. I like that (and completely agree). We certainly have a lot of driving dogs at the moment.

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

esp1975 wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 13:36 I think I am with @Gravy . Reading this book would stress me out as it would remind who is in the White House. Maybe in a few years I'll be able to read it and laugh.
:text-yeahthat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”