Official Review: A Collection of 50 Stories Inspired By M...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: A Collection of 50 Stories Inspired By M...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Collection of 50 Stories Inspired By My Angel Donor, Joni Marie" by Rod Spadinger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you aware that one organ donor can save up to eight lives? Based on his experience as the recipient of lifesaving organs, Rod Spadinger shares his thoughts and reflections in his nonfiction tribute, A Collection of 50 Stories Inspired By My Angel Donor, Joni Marie.

Spadinger resorted to shopping online after he became unable to push a grocery cart due to poor lung function from cystic fibrosis. The week before his 45th birthday, Spadinger was given a second chance at life when he received a double lung and liver transplant. Words cannot express the gratitude he has for his organ donor. How do you thank someone whose death saved your life?

Although the book is described as a collection of stories, Spadinger's first-person narrative is written more like a journal and gathered from a series of blog posts. The 50 numbered and dated entries range from a paragraph to a few pages. Despite the book's brevity, the collection is quite comprehensive. Some of the reflections are contemplative, and others are informative. For example, in addition to organ donation, Spadinger shares the many benefits of tissue donation such as skin, bone, and heart valves. He also contrasts his life before and after the transplants; not having to begin each day with treatments and being able to travel at the last minute are just a few of his new-found freedoms.

I particularly like Spadinger's expressions of gratitude to his donor for his lifesaving transplants. His passion for spreading the word about the impact that organ donors can make is equally contagious, and I admire his commitment to share proceeds from the sale of the book with the Cystic Fibrosis Lifestyle Foundation and the Wounded Warriors Foundation, in honor of his father.

The only thing I dislike about the book is the number of incomplete sentences. Spadinger writes as though he is speaking, and although it doesn't detract from the book as a whole, the incomplete sentences are incorrect. The content appears to be gathered from blog posts, and while some bloggers casually ignore grammar, I am required to note the errors.

The number of grammatic errors necessitates the deduction of a star. Therefore, I rate the otherwise informative and inspirational book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it as a source of encouragement for readers who may be struggling with CF or other health issues. It will also appeal to those interested in organ donation.

A Collection of 50 Stories Inspired By My Angel Donor, Joni Marie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Quite an interesting read indeed! It seems to involve my favourite genres in general, though the typographical errors are a pity. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 15:26 Quite an interesting read indeed! It seems to involve my favourite genres in general, though the typographical errors are a pity. Great review!
Thank you, Nivi.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for another interesting review. It sounds like the author has come through a lot. I'm glad that a donor was there for him. I'm curious to see all that he says about the benefits of organ donation (I'm one myself).
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Aug 2019, 20:21 Thanks for another interesting review. It sounds like the author has come through a lot. I'm glad that a donor was there for him. I'm curious to see all that he says about the benefits of organ donation (I'm one myself).
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many people who receive donor organs struggle with their new-found freedoms being due to someone's death. Your comment about the short sentences made me wonder if the author was writing the way she had to breathe before receiving the double lung transplant?? I hope this book will motivate more people to be willing to donate. Wonderful review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

What a wonderful gift for the family of the donor, and a great way to raise awareness about the importance of organ donation. I happen to know two different people who needed organ transplants when they were quite young, and the miracle of their continued lives is something they and their families are grateful for every day.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

An amazing book that does not deserve the level of errors that would make it lose a star in its rating. Thank you for the great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 09:54 Many people who receive donor organs struggle with their new-found freedoms being due to someone's death. Your comment about the short sentences made me wonder if the author was writing the way she had to breathe before receiving the double lung transplant?? I hope this book will motivate more people to be willing to donate. Wonderful review!
Thank you. I appreciate your encouraging comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

esp1975 wrote: 23 Aug 2019, 13:28 What a wonderful gift for the family of the donor, and a great way to raise awareness about the importance of organ donation. I happen to know two different people who needed organ transplants when they were quite young, and the miracle of their continued lives is something they and their families are grateful for every day.
That's wonderful to know. Thanks for sharing. :tiphat:
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

When one has a healthy body with all organs functioning right one tends to take life for granted. I couldn't imagine having to go through sitting at home and shopping online because I can't push the cart. How I would miss just walking in the street to window shop for no apparent reason. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Magnify3 wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 05:28 When one has a healthy body with all organs functioning right one tends to take life for granted. I couldn't imagine having to go through sitting at home and shopping online because I can't push the cart. How I would miss just walking in the street to window shop for no apparent reason. Thanks for the review!
That's so true--thanks for sharing!
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila_Hashem »

The idea behind this book seems quite unique, and it explores a topic I am not very knowledgable about, which makes me more willing to read it. Great review!
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

The author and the family of the donor are brave. This is rather touching
Beauty Kalu22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segunjohn.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Beauty Kalu22 »

Thank you for a well detailed and honest review. I've always loved non fiction books and this sounds like one I'll definitely love to have for myself.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”