Official Review: Paving Your Path by Kim Nugent Ed.D.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Official Review: Paving Your Path by Kim Nugent Ed.D.

Post by Jgideon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Paving Your Path" by Kim Nugent Ed.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the graduation date approaches, many students find themselves unsure of what their life would look like after finishing their high school education. Lack of proper guidance and mentorship are some of the factors that cause such a scenario. Paving Your Path by Kim Nugent, Ed. D is a book that seeks to help high school students to forge their path before and after their graduation.

The book contains 11 well-written chapters. In every chapter, Nugent takes the reader through an aspect that is critical in helping him/her to navigate through life with ease. At the beginning of the book, she relates her story giving the good, the bad, and the ugly. She also gave several quotes from different people. As a strong believer in mentorship, the author encourages every student to have a mentor to help him/her to become the best that he/she can be.

I loved how Nugent simplified the aspect of mentorship by providing an A-Z checklist of the attributes that students should have to be successful. For instance, A stands for Attitude, B stands for Brand … Z stands for Zone. Every attribute forms a sub-topic in one of the chapters (The Solution for a New Generation). At the end of these sub-topics, there are questions that both the mentor and mentee have to answer. The questions are well crafted and very easy to understand. I found myself answering almost every question in the book. I loved the exercise.

I liked that the book provides information from her experiences and vast knowledge and experiences from other successful people. In the sixth chapter (What I Wish Someone Had Told Me When I Was in High School), instead of focusing on her experience, the author wrote more than twenty quotes from different people expressing the things that they wished that someone had told them when they were in high school. My favorite quote from this chapter was from Hilda Posey who said, “First of all, stop worrying! Everything might not turn out the way you planned it but either way, everything will be okay. You don’t have to be completely sure of the direction you will go in life. You can figure it out along the way.” That was a sound piece of advice for the target audience.

When tackling the issue about how to create an opportunity from a problem, Nugent gave an example of her experience as a new faculty member in one of the universities where she taught. She witnessed how new employees had problems navigating through the university buildings and settings. With permission from the Dean, she needed someone to help her come up with a fitting orientation program for new employees. She noted that she “found that person in Cliff Willson. I asked him if he would help and he said yes.” I wished that she had provided more information about who Willson was and what made him the perfect person for the role.

The book was professionally edited. I only noted very few errors, which did not distract my attention in any way. It is perfect for the intended audience: high school students and their mentors. I highly recommend it to them. University students will also find it very helpful. That said, I gladly rate Paving Your Path 4 out of 4 stars. It is a very informative book.

Paving Your Path
View: on Bookshelves
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

Thank you for this great review. I love the fact that the author uses information from her experiences as well as vast knowledge and experiences from other successful people.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

My daughter is about to start her sophomore year of high school. I'll have to consider picking this up to help her prepare for life after high school.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review of this book. This is a good one to keep in mind for graduates. It gives them good advice during an uncertain time in their life.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Paving your path by Kim Nugent Ed.D.
Paving your path is a book that seeks and guides the high school students to think about their future before and after graduation.She rightly points out that students after completing their school education do not find their right destination about their onward education.Kim is of the opinion that students do not get proper career guidance neither from schools and nor from their parents what to do.The author strongly stresses the need of a mentor and guide who could provide guidance to the students in their educational field.Career guidance is very important in the sense that what are the natural aptitude of the students and what they want to be, so mentoring is very important at school and college levels,so that students could rightly set their careers and career goals.
The book is very important and useful for all schools college and university students.The book is the distilled experience of the author in this field and she has generously shared her experience and knowledge with the students
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

Thank you for your review! It sounds like a great book that has the capability of helping so many students out there who need it. It’s great that the author is keeping high school students in mind. They are the next generation of leaders, after all!
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review of Paving Your Path. As with many others, I wish a book similar to this was available when I was in high school. Having a mentor would have also been helpful, but the topics broached in this book are very useful for today's student. Their success is dependant on what they learn now, and what they do along the way. This book sounds like a good starting place for students. Thank you again for your review. :D :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
KojoGH
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by KojoGH »

When I completed myself...I was in a bit of a dilemma...trying to point one specific thing I would like to do in our difficult economy was my problem. Therefore this book of a big help to students and fresh graduates in picking their direction in life.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

Wish this book was around when I was younger

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”