Review by Samisah -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by Samisah -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Samisah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones; Playing Life's Bad Hands is a partly inspirational, partly business minded memoir about the author, Mr BusinessWeek BusinessWeek BusinessWeek BusinessWeekJorge P. Newbery. It is a beautiful book full of important lessons for anyone interested in overcoming challenges and adversaries in life especially in business and career.

Jorge Newbery, a high school dropout, could be described as an intelligent entrepreneur who had a knack for spotting good business adventures. At just seventeen, he was already a very successful businessman, owning and managing a recording studio, magazine, a music concert stage, to name a few.

This autobiography was written in a first person narrative. It is easy and enjoyable to read because the chronology of the book falls in place perfectly, each chapter prepares you for the next and I must say it was well edited too. I did not detect any spelling or grammatical error while reading the book. Also, I must add that I finished this book in record time because I found myself magnetized to its very rich content. Rather than bore us with another book listing steps and procedures on how to get things done or achieve business breakthrough, Mr. Newbery choose to be unique by using himself as the guinea pig. And it paid off!

I think it is important to note that although the central theme is about one not giving up and fighting to the end to achieve business success, it is also noteworthy that other salient messages were passed across here. Themes such racism, dealing with peer pressure (as was the case, when he was coerced into betting), police brutality on the young and often peaceful fans, the abuse of drugs as prevalent among youths who just want to " belong", among others. Overall, I enjoyed the book because it is a man's life lessons and it helps upcoming generations to do better and avoid the pits that he fell in.

What I like about this book, is the fact that Mr. Newbery developed himself to the extent that he became a "shock absorber". He had a knack for achieving things when most people (especially his superiors) did not think he could do them. And that boils down to self confidence and an eye to recognise, and seize opportunity when it presents itself. Even when he lost everything and became a debtor, he never gave up, rather, he took new initiatives and it paid off! He learnt through his many years of business that the best person to rely on to get things done, is yourself. I must also emphasize that I did not dislike any portion of this book. To me, it is truly an awesome book!

I would rate book 4 out of 4 stars because of the many practical lessons found here. I would recommend Burn Zones to everyone irrespective of your profession or career. This is due to the many life lessons and ideas carefully packaged in this awesome book. Mistakes, they say, can generation experience which leads to growth and better judgement, but rather make mistakes to learn from, why not learn from the mistakes and challenges of others like Mr. Newbery? And I promise, you will enjoy it!

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Praise1989
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise1989.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Praise1989 »

The book sounds interesting from your review. I think is what i like to read. Great Review!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Praise1989 wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 13:05 The book sounds interesting from your review. I think is what i like to read. Great Review!
Thank you for taking time to check my review. And the book is actually nice too!
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”