Official Review: &lifegoeson by major thomas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: &lifegoeson by major thomas

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "&lifegoeson" by major thomas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many of Major Thomas’ earliest memories are of a childhood in the shadow of the lean times of World War II. Victory gardens, gas rationing, and oleo are at the forefront of his mind as he starts readers on an autobiographical journey in & Life Goes On… Thomas’ most formative years were spent in the Midwest in the 1940s. He did his chores on the farm, rabble-roused on his bicycle with friends, and grew up with a sense of duty to his country. It is no surprise to the reader when he enlists in the Navy shortly after graduating high school and finds himself on his way to the Korean War.

While it is sometimes referred to as the Forgotten War, the antidotes and stories told by the author about his service manning the engine room on USS LST 1122 brought the Korean War to life in a way no textbook could attempt. He recalls absurd sake-soaked shenanigans and colorfully details the life of Navy seamen at sea as well as in port. His stories have you laughing; however, he also spares nothing when addresses the very real and devastating aspects of being at war. Like all of the men and women of the armed forces, his life did not stop after being discharged. He details many of the triumphs and struggles that come with life after serving your country.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. Much of the information is presented in a conversational, almost journal-like tone. Thomas does not overly sugarcoat much of what he experienced as a child or as an adult. He does not shy away from addressing issues about medical care at the VA, PTSD, or depression, and he bares his emotions as all true men should: openly and honestly. He had me laughing and then crying throughout the novel. I even learned about the amazing and lost tradition of a chivaree after a wedding.

In its current state, this is a wonderful piece for his relatives to have as documentation of family history and the amazing life of the author. I wish I had something similar from my grandparents or my father before their passing. This autobiography could greatly benefit from some time with a professional editor as there were a fair number of grammar and formatting issues. Thomas included a lot of interesting pictures and images throughout the book; unfortunately, many of them were not at a high enough resolution to easily decipher. The highlight of the book was the discussion about his time in the Navy; meanwhile, some portions of the autobiography had the feel of a disorganized daily journal.

My only knowledge of the Korean War came from a high school history class I had that was taught by the football coach. He was supposedly a really good coach, but traditional classroom teaching wasn’t exactly his thing; however, I will never forget the first-person accounts he shared about transporting wounded aboard his ship and watching their cigarette smoke leak through their bandages. We are swiftly losing the opportunity to hear these stories directly from the great men and women who experienced it. As I read & Life Goes On…, I kept thinking about how lucky Thomas’ family is to have this record of his life. I recommend this book to readers who are interested in naval history, the Korean War, or early American coming of age stories. While I am constrained to awarding 3 out of 4 stars, I cannot overstate the respect and gratitude I have for Major Thomas, not only for his service to our country but also for honestly sharing his experiences of coming home but never leaving the war behind.

&lifegoeson
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The book seems so heartfelt. I had no knowledge of the Korean War, I'm glad the author thought his experience worth sharing.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

These memoirs are truly historic for all readers. They hold a special appeal for family members, but we all benefit from these stories and experiences. Thanks for a fantastic review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

My grandfather served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. I know my father, aunt, and uncle tried really hard to get him to write down as much as possible, but I don't think it was much. And I doubt my father will ever write much about his experience in Vietnam, though I wish he would. You are write, books like these are treasures for the families of those who wrote them, but also for families of those who did not, to get an understanding of what those we loved went through.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

OuKoyoo wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 10:06 A great book; I am glad that the author presents much of his message in a conversational, almost journal-like tone. Another interesting aspect of this boom is that the author does not overly sugarcoat his experiences in his childhood years as well as during his adulthood.
Thank you for your comment. For the record, what you just wrote is 100% textbook plagiarism. If you do it in a review, you will be permanently banned from the Review Team.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

You make an excellent point about the author documenting family history. I've often had similar thoughts when I've read memoirs, wishing I had more details of my family's history. Thanks for the insightful review.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

I was a little skeptical on whether I should read this book or not but your review has convinced me to. Amazing review, CommMayo. Well done.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

The idea behind this book seems quite unique, and it explores a topic I am not very knowledgable about, which makes me more willing to read it. Great review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A memoir revolving around the author's experiences as a Navy seaman during the Korean War sounds informative. The colorful antidotes prevent the book from becoming dry. It is good that the author doesn't sugarcoat his experiences. Too bad about the editing issues. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Many wars are hidden from the public. We never come to know the actual aspects of it. This sort of books are very resourceful in that matter since they provide first hand information
Congratulations on being BOTD and I am wishing to read this soon
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This autobiography by Major Thomas tells of his childhood on a farm in the Midwest, fighting in the Korean War, and finding his wife. It is an honest look at war, sometimes funny and sometimes deeply sad. Congratulations to the author for making this wonderful memoir that was chosen as BOTD. Thanks to the reviewer for your excellent review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting non-fictional memoir that covers the author's early years, the Korean War, PTSD, and emotional scars. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and I found this to be a well-written review that highlighted the book perfectly. Congrats on being the BOTD. I hope I get a chance to read this book.
DrPatti8454
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: Death Trap
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drpatti8454.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by DrPatti8454 »

&lifegoeson by major thomas reminds me of a book by E.L Doctorow entitled "The Things They Carried". Although the wars they described are different (Korea vs Afghanistan), both authors give a back story of what soldiers carry literally and figuratively during their tours of duty and the aftermath when that tour had ended but was never really over. Both are worth the read.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I always want to read about war stories or historical experiences of real people. Thanks for your review!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It sounds like this memoir would be a treasure for the author's family. Like you, I wish my grandparents had written about their lives. His recounting his time in the Navy during the Korean War would interest fans of history and war buffs.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”