Official Review: The Good Stuff by Liz Loughlin

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: The Good Stuff by Liz Loughlin

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Good Stuff" by Liz Loughlin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Good Stuff begins with Diana and Paul jumping to hilarious albeit very incorrect conclusions about each other. Paul sees beautiful Diana, dressed to kill, at a social function and is about to introduce himself to her when another poor guy addresses her first. Diana skillfully tells the apparent stranger off and triumphantly walks away. What else could Paul think but that she was one difficult and incredibly rude woman? (He had no idea that Diana was telling off a past boyfriend that had lied and betrayed her).

That same evening, just before Jeremy introduced Paul to Diana, and the rest of the group, he stated, “Ooh, here comes Paul, my partner. You’ll love him. He’s amazing.” At the mention of “partner,” and knowing that Jeremy is gay, Diana assumed Paul was also gay. Soon Diana and Paul find themselves as work associates on a confidential and political bombshell of a case. As they begin to respect and trust one another, they quickly become good friends. Thankfully, they soon discover that their first impressions were incorrect and become romantically interested. Their blossoming relationship and the suspense of the case they are working on are woven together beautifully.

I loved how the author had Diana and Paul meet. She demonstrated to readers that you cannot always rely on first impressions. Thinking the absolute worst of Diana, Paul gets to see layers of her very caring heart slowly unveiled. Loughlin went to great lengths to portray Diana’s extraordinary kindness and compassion on numerous occasions.

Loughlin portrayed all the primary and secondary characters in a realistic and relatable way. However, I became especially fond of Lucia, Paul’s younger sister with Downs syndrome. Her enthusiasm and spontaneity were heartwarming. And I adored Diana’s younger brother Luis- and his fiancé Eric. Their constant humor, combined with their respect and love for Diana, made them unforgettable.

The only complaint that I could find with this 253-page book was that I uncovered more than ten errors. While some of these were formatting issues, there were also several examples of grammatical errors. These findings will require that I deduct a point from the rating.

Some of the romantic scenes were a bit steamy, but I would not call them overly graphic. There were brief references to violence, but even they were toned down and not too explicit. (I cannot be more specific here, or I will run the risk of spoilers). Additionally, there were some instances of profanity, but not a continuous insult, and they did not at all detract from my immense enjoyment in reading this story.

Therefore, I award The Good Stuff by Liz Loughlin 3 out of 4 stars. Readers who love romance will enjoy this endearing story. Those with a healthy dose of humor will be laughing out loud in a few instances. Readers not interested in romance may elect to pass on this one. However, this story is more than just a romance novel, as it also offers a suspenseful storyline. I am pleased to recommend this captivating novel.

The Good Stuff
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

A good romance, with suspense and humor added in, sounds like something I would greatly appreciate. As always, I love reading your reviews! Great job!
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

A great romance book that would make an interesting read for readers who do not mind romantic scenes that are steamy. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I love romance novels. I'm thrilled to know this one also has a suspenseful plot. It will be added to my 'to read list'. Thanks.
Amber Ala
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Amber Ala »

Layers isn’t something typically seen in romance novels, the The Good Stuff has plenty! It’s makes the characters more real and relatable. I can’t wait to see what comes out of Liz Laughlin’s imagination next!!! A book with two weddings! I’m anxiously waiting!

As for grammatical errors, sometimes authors play with language for effect. I’m not put off by it. This is a fantastic read!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do appreciate that they made wrong assumptions of each other when they first met. Not a great start. It seems that they are able to overcome this miscommunication, though. Still, I don't think it's a book for me. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like how the author creates the confusion at the beginning and later works out their wrong impressions. Well-developed characters give such depth and texture to the story. You didn't have any strong objections to the story - so, it looks like a good read. Thanks for the recommendation!
Valar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valar.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by Valar »

Creating a good impression at first sight is easier than changing the bad impression at first sight. It will be interesting to read it, and also the author’s idea to add a suspense in romance story is brilliant.
" The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go" - Dr. Seuss
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Romance and suspense meshed never disappoints. Nice review albeit short.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

This seems quite interesting. I might be checking it out soon. Thank you for the wonderful review
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Prisallen wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 07:37 A good romance, with suspense and humor added in, sounds like something I would greatly appreciate. As always, I love reading your reviews! Great job!
I think that you would enjoy this one. Thank you so much, Prisallen, for your compliment and your very kind words! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

OuKoyoo wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:09 A great romance book that would make an interesting read for readers who do not mind romantic scenes that are steamy. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Thank you, OuKoyoo, for your lovely compliment!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:17 I love romance novels. I'm thrilled to know this one also has a suspenseful plot. It will be added to my 'to read list'. Thanks.
And I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. Thank you, Michelle, for reading my review and for commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 18:51 I do appreciate that they made wrong assumptions of each other when they first met. Not a great start. It seems that they are able to overcome this miscommunication, though. Still, I don't think it's a book for me. Thanks!
Yes, they easily overcame their wrongful assumptions and moved on to trust each other. Thank you for reading my review and for your thoughtful comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Amber Ala wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 15:54 Layers isn’t something typically seen in romance novels, the The Good Stuff has plenty! It’s makes the characters more real and relatable. I can’t wait to see what comes out of Liz Laughlin’s imagination next!!! A book with two weddings! I’m anxiously waiting!

As for grammatical errors, sometimes authors play with language for effect. I’m not put off by it. This is a fantastic read!
Yes, the characters were so relatable and realistic- that was part of their charm. Thank you, Amber, for reading my review and for your insightful comments! :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”