Official Review: Sojourne Snail’s Sounding Saga

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Sojourne Snail’s Sounding Saga

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sojourne Snail’s Sounding Saga" by Christine Schonewald.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sojourne Snail’s Sounding Saga by Christine Schonewald follows the adventures of Sojourne, a Pacific sideband snail. After seeing her reflection in a pool, Sojourne is proud of how much she’s grown and believes herself to now be a wise adult snail. However, she is not, and what follows is a series of struggles in which Sojourne discovers how much she still has to learn.

This is one of the most adorable and informational books I’ve read in a long time. Sojourne’s tenacity and persistence make her a great role model for young readers. From the beginning, Schonewald uses a simple but elegant tone to explain how snails exist. I learned what Sojourne uses the various parts of her body for (sensing, moving), and I found out just how dependent snails are on slime for everyday life. All of this is delivered with as many “s” or “sh” sounds as possible. The result is a bit poetic, and it was very fun to read.

Schonewald didn’t stop at body parts and slime. She also described Sojourne’s cerebral ganglion. My initial response when I came across this word was that it was too advanced for the rest of the book’s reading level. I needn’t have worried. The very next words in the book were a definition of the cerebral ganglion (a snail’s brain). In fact, all potentially difficult terms were dealt with in this clear manner, minimizing confusion.

One of my favorite parts of this book was Sojourne’s stomach. It talked, loudly proclaiming its hunger. I also loved the “snail boxes,” which were QR codes embedded into some of the pictures. If kids (or adults, for that matter) wanted to know more about the animals in the book, they could scan the code with a smartphone and be brought to a site with additional information. This was such a great way to incorporate technology into the story. There were also links at the back of the book for further reading on the topics not covered by “snail boxes.”

This is also one of the best-edited books I’ve read recently. I noted not one error. This combined with the beautiful storytelling and writing mean I could award Sojourne Snail’s Sounding Saga nothing less than 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I disliked, and I never thought to give it 3. I recommend this book for kids between ages 6 and 9. Slightly younger readers might enjoy this story and it’s pictures with the help of an adult. For me, Sojourne’s story was a fun romp into the animal kingdom, and I would pick up more of Schonewald’s work without hesitation.

Sojourne Snail’s Sounding Saga
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds just wonderful! The author informs and entertains at the same time. This makes science fun for this age group. Thanks for this amazing recommendation!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Great review! I got to learn something about snails. It would be nice to have that book for the children.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

Thanks for reviewing, sounds like a good little book.
Biaclassic1
Currently Reading: Towards happier choices
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biaclassic1.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Biaclassic1 »

Thanks for good review. My sweety will love this book.
Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home. —Anna Quindlen

Return to “Children's Books”