Review by Magnify3 -- Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by Magnify3 -- Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Magnify3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Code Name: Dodger" by Eric Auxier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier is a novel about love, family and a boy with a desire for revenge. It tells the story of a streetwise, skateboard loving orphan, boy named Justice (a.k.a Justin) Reed. Justin lives at the North Brooklyn juvenile home. One day as he is out skateboarding with his friends, they notice a man watching them. It turns out that he is actually spying on Justin. That very day, Justin is picked out for possible adoption by a CIA agent named Bob Cheney. Suspected to know information for which his father was killed; Justin is now a target and a protected person. Motivated by his desire for revenge; he accepts to be used as bait to capture the enemy. When the plan fails, Bob is branded a possible enemy and Justin’s late father a traitor. Refusing to accept such news Justin has no choice but to go solo. Can the 14 year old boy find the ruthless enemy known as Pharaoh?

The story is filled with multiple interesting characters. It commences with Justin, his friends Randy and Doug, other orphans and Mrs. Kraumas the orphanage head. Other characters include Bob Cheney, people in his neighbourhood, his CIA superiors as well as other agents and many others. Justin’s love for his dad shines throughout the book. His father is his hero. With his father gone, he finds himself leaning towards Bob. Due to the nature of his work, Bob cannot admit to himself the place that Justin holds in his heart. However, he stands out as protective and strict father figure. I did wish that Bob’s heart was not quite guarded. Nevertheless, he seemed very real to me. Justin on the other hand irritated me when he pushed those that cared for him away. In his defense, he did seem a little given to loosing loved ones. Randy proves to be a loyal and protective friend.

The narrative is in the first person. Told from Justin’s point of view, one can easily identify him as a street kid. Whilst I am not used to reading slang, the style did fit Justin and his fellow orphans. Even as the book was an easy read, the format made it a little crowded. The story builds up quickly and is thrilling enough to keep one reading. I did find myself holding my breath in concern for some of the scenes.

What I liked most about the book was the aspect of family. Justin clearly had a sense that family was more than relation by blood. Another thing was Justin’s development from a teen whose desire is to seek revenge to one that counts the cost. He comes to the realization that his choices can affect him forever. What I least liked was the fact that Justin had access to a gun.

I noted very few errors in the book, thus I give it the rating 4 out of 4 stars. The book does contain a couple of derogatory words. Another touch of formatting will give it clearer paragraphs. Being a young adult novel, I would recommend it to teenagers as well as adults who like reading spy or mystery books.

Code Name: Dodger
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Nice review. I am more interested in this book after your review than I have been after other reviews of the same book.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Sounds like a good read - and more people need to realize that their choices can affect them forever! Enjoyed reading your review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

esp1975 wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 13:19 Nice review. I am more interested in this book after your review than I have been after other reviews of the same book.
Thanks for passing by and commenting. I am glad that you found the book interesting after reading the review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

allbooked+ wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 15:47 Sounds like a good read - and more people need to realize that their choices can affect them forever! Enjoyed reading your review.
Yes, it is a good read. Our choices do really affect us more than we think. Glad that you enjoyed reading the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I hope Justin finds Pharaoh! This looks like an interesting book and has a great endorsement from you! I'll look into it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

You are most welcome! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. It is an interesting book.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Justin appears to be a brilliant kid inspite being an orphan. I hope he is able to get the ruthless enemy. Thanks for the wonderful review
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I read the sample of this book and passed because I wasn't sure if the plot would hold up. It looks like it does! It's awesome that there is a theme of "family," too. Thanks for the review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Your review made me want to read the book
Thanks for the review
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It is a gripping story! I liked it very much. I'm sure you enjoyed the book. Amazing review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This book has an intriguing premise. It sounds like there was lots of opportunity to explore family relationships, and I'm glad that was well done. Great review!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoy a good book where the main character clearly grows and matures through the course of the story. This book sounds like an interesting mystery novel. Thanks for the review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

shravsi wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 11:03 Your review made me want to read the book
Thanks for the review
That is so good to hear! I hope that you get to read and enjoy it. Thanks for the kind comments and for stopping by.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 21 Aug 2019, 18:19 I enjoy a good book where the main character clearly grows and matures through the course of the story. This book sounds like an interesting mystery novel. Thanks for the review!
You are welcome! It is rewarding to see the main character grow and mature through the course of the story.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”