Official Review: Don't Throw Me in the Cholla Patch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Don't Throw Me in the Cholla Patch

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Throw Me in the Cholla Patch" by Marc Severson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Woodrat decides that the nighttime is a great time to gather food for his family. Unluckily, he runs across Coyote. Coyote wants to eat Woodrat, so he must come up with a way to outsmart Coyote. Will Woodrat find a way to escape Coyote's clutches?

Don't Throw Me in the Cholla Patch is written by Marc Severson and illustrated by Francesco Orazzini. The targeted audience for the book is ages 10 to 12 years old. The book is written in the third person perspective with an omniscient narrator.

Some of the words are advanced for that age level. For instance, "larder" is used, but the author has a definition for that word at the end. There is also a pronunciation guide. The only problem is with a mountain called Baboquivari, as it is not listed in the guide. While it is a real place, children not familiar with the area won't know how to say it. However, that was the only word I questioned, which makes it a small issue.

The illustrations in the book are enjoyable and fun. I especially loved the expressions on the characters' faces. It brought the story to life. The drawings, though, were all of a similar color. I don't think this was necessarily a drawback because the setting doesn't change much throughout the book. There are still plenty of interesting features in the illustrations. It is worth noting, however, that they aren't as bright or as vibrant as other books.

The book was formatted with text on one page and the drawings immediately opposite. The plot accompanied the illustrations perfectly and accented the story; I know children would love looking at the pictures while reading the book. There seemed to be a good balance of words to pictures.

I appreciated, as well, that the author discusses how he came up with this story. We learn more about the woodrat which is also known as a packrat. This enhances the educational value of the book. It's interesting to see that the author compares this story to that of The Briar Patch, and I must say, I do see the similarities.

I thought this book was fun and clever. I found only one minor error and believe this to be a very teachable book for young ones. For those reasons, I give Don't Throw Me in the Cholla Patch 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to parents and educators looking for a fun, yet educational, book.

Don't Throw Me in the Cholla Patch
View: on Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I'm glad that the illustrations are articulated with the characters' faces. This would, surely, entertain kids. The pronunciation guide is another plus. I could use that too 🙂. Thank you for your recommendation! Your review has such a clear nuance. I enjoyed reading it!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

InStoree wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 02:39 I'm glad that the illustrations are articulated with the characters' faces. This would, surely, entertain kids. The pronunciation guide is another plus. I could use that too 🙂. Thank you for your recommendation! Your review has such a clear nuance. I enjoyed reading it!
I agree! I've heard of cholla, but I didn't know how to pronounce it. I'm glad he included that. Thanks for the comment!
—Neil Gaiman
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This was an intriguing title! Sounds as if the author could broaden the audience's horizons with this story.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The story initially struck me as a bit dark (you know, a creature trying to kill another). But then I see how this could have so many teachable moments. Thanks for this review!
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Don't Throw Me in the Cholla Patch by Marc Severson and illustrated by Francesco.It is written for the an age group of students between 10 to 12 years old.The book is attractive as it was formatted in such a way that text is on the one page and the drawings immediately opposite.The book also keeps a balance between the number of words and the number of pictures.
The book has attraction for children plus its pronunciation guide that would help the children.Besides that the name of the book is also interesting.
The book has an educational value for parents and educators and at the same time it provides a chance of amusement for both students, parents and teachers.I recommend it to the same age group, to parents and to the educators.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 06:50 This was an intriguing title! Sounds as if the author could broaden the audience's horizons with this story.
Absolutely! It was fun to read, and I know kids would enjoy it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 08:40 The story initially struck me as a bit dark (you know, a creature trying to kill another). But then I see how this could have so many teachable moments. Thanks for this review!
I don't want to give anything away, but the saying all's well that ends well fits the book. The author does great at not making it too dark. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

This is a great children's book. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

OuKoyoo wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 12:21 This is a great children's book. Thank you for the review.
Thanks for your comments. I enjoyed it.
—Neil Gaiman
owachtel
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owachtel.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by owachtel »

I really appreciate that you mentioned the colors. Growing up, Frog and Toad were my favorite books because of the more earthy color palate... I always appreciate more natural, muted colors for sure!

The story also sounds wholesome and clever.

Thanks for the great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I considered reviewing this book because I was intrigued by a story about a packrat. Thanks for your interesting review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 17:37 I considered reviewing this book because I was intrigued by a story about a packrat. Thanks for your interesting review.
It was cute! I absolutely enjoyed reading it. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Wow, a good book for children. And the vocabulary will expand their command of the English language. Nice review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Gathoni1991 wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 05:36 Wow, a good book for children. And the vocabulary will expand their command of the English language. Nice review.
Yes. I think it's one kids would enjoy. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Children's Books”