Official Review: murdering the macho managers by ben reuben

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: murdering the macho managers by ben reuben

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "murdering the macho managers" by ben reuben.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In a corrupt society where the macho managers lead through aggression and disinterest on the welfare of their employees, there is a remedy for the malevolent regimes - murder. What happens when the work environment becomes intolerable, and the balance between justice and mercy is unstable? The author of this book introduces us to a satirical fiction about "how some people treated others at work," before The Human Rights Act from 1998 infiltrated in the companies system. During this transition period, testing of the new measures didn't appear to be part of the plan. Ben Reuben shed light on the gesellschaft organizations which strengthen the structural dysfunctionalities of the workplace.

Murdering the Macho Managers (the absurd tale of an erstwhile journeyman personnel officer) breaks the ice with advertising Stephen Foster's company, the Fosters Imposters Incorporated. His enterprise operates under the mantra of an anti-macho manager, and his aim is to solve the institutional discrepancies of modern society. According to him, the ultimate solution to dealing with these manipulative employers is murder. His business has been merged with a box manufacturing organization and helped the stressed workers to overcome the overwhelming situations. This absurd novel is an illustration of how people in power are constantly going against the code of conduct, and how the self-centered managers influence employee behavior and company success. Will Foster be able to fulfill his mission?

I was drawn into the story by the ironic and ridiculous approach to some miscellaneous topics, such as sexual and racial discrimination. The author's style of letting the cat out of the bag made me giggle on several occasions. He created a relaxed atmosphere in my reading space, although the subjects discussed are far from pleasant. It was easy to relate to the absurd situations that the characters were facing, as the similarities between a contract of employment and one of slavery are still found in modern-day workplaces. The nihilistic nature of the boss, Hadrian, is highlighted by his "ignorance, fear, hatred, lust and greed." But Stephen Foster taught me the basic principles of the macho managers, and I was able to understand the reasons behind Hadrian's actions better. This clause I loved the most:
Macho managers know who the worst treated employees are in the workplace. He would not help them because he knows his place and according to the macho manager, they clearly already know theirs.
Ben Reuben's work gives sense to the nonsense. I fathomed the natural quality of Hadrian's attitude towards his employees, as smaller beings, as if to him they mean "nothing." After all, what is the point of respecting your staff and doing what is right for their well-being when you already pay their monthly bills?

The sharp contrasts between reasonable and outrageous could easily capture you and carry you through some satirical scenes. But I would have liked to see a consistency in the absurdity. Somehow, it left me with the impression that there was still enough room to fill the novel with taunting pieces until it reached its peak. Although it didn't satisfy my thirst for parody, it didn't seem appropriate to drop one star. Perhaps half of it, but this wasn't an option. Overall, I felt that the book clearly conveyed the message, and the bizarre etiquette was ingeniously blended with the topics. With over 30 years of service in human resources, managerial, public and private sectors, the author's personal experiences were reflected in Foster's personality.

I wish I could give it a maximum rating, but I found enough editorial errors to drop it to 3 out of 4 stars. Most of them consisted of missing hyphens and unnecessary or absent commas. It wasn't distracting, but they were persistent. I think this work would appeal most to fans of satirical pieces of literature. I doubt that those who enjoy a traditional plot development would find it satisfying. I encountered a few profane words and an erotic scene with light content. There are some religious references within the absurd material, so if you know yourself sensitive to ironic humor, I'd suggest avoiding this book. Personally, this comic reading has brightened my mood, and I would recommend it to those who wish to pause the ethical behavior, at least for a moment.

murdering the macho managers
View: on Bookshelves
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Looks like a light read on some serious staff on organizational dynamics. Thanks for the wonderful review.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Wyland wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 06:12 Looks like a light read on some serious staff on organizational dynamics. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Thanks for your comment, Wyland! I hope you'll give it a try.
~Tayma Tameem
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

That title grabbed my attention! As a freelancer, I guess I can afford to have a laugh at the horrors of workplaces - I guess this satire has some truth behind it. Thank you for your interesting review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

The title of the book is an attention-grabber. Looking forward to reading the book. Thank you for the insightful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors, but it sounds quite thought-provoking. I'm not sure I am ready for a satirical work at the moment, but I appreciate the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree that the title is an attention grabber. It's a shame about the errors, but I appreciate your candid review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I enjoy satire when it's well-developed and I've certainly had my fair share of awful managers and not so pleasant work experiences, so I can relate.
Satire can be a powerful tool to point out what's wrong with society. It's a shame the book had editing issues.
Thank you for such an interesting review!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This book sounds similar to a television show called, "The Office." I didn't watch it because it was a bit too bizarre for me. I have a feeling this book will be the same way. :eusa-think: I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your great review! :-)
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 06:45 That title grabbed my attention! As a freelancer, I guess I can afford to have a laugh at the horrors of workplaces - I guess this satire has some truth behind it. Thank you for your interesting review.
Thank you for stopping by, ButterscotchCherrie, and sharing your thoughts! I'm glad you don't deal with macho managers or any kind of managers. They could really give some headaches.
OuKoyoo wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 12:27 The title of the book is an attention-grabber. Looking forward to reading the book. Thank you for the insightful review.
I hope you'll enjoy it! Thank you for your enthusiastic comment, OuKoyoo!
kandscreeley wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 17:12 It's too bad about the errors, but it sounds quite thought-provoking. I'm not sure I am ready for a satirical work at the moment, but I appreciate the information.
The errors won't interfere with the essence of the book. Whenever you feel ready for an ironical read, this book will reach the expectations. Thanks for honesty, kandscreeley !
Cecilia_L wrote: 17 Aug 2019, 14:12 I agree that the title is an attention grabber. It's a shame about the errors, but I appreciate your candid review.
Yes, the title also gave me the first impulse to pick this book. The content didn't disappoint, despite the errors. Thank you for taking the time to read my review, Cecilia!
Lunastella wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 19:18 I enjoy satire when it's well-developed and I've certainly had my fair share of awful managers and not so pleasant work experiences, so I can relate.
Satire can be a powerful tool to point out what's wrong with society. It's a shame the book had editing issues.
Thank you for such an interesting review!
I hear you! I related with some parts of the book, but the satirical touch suspended the bitterness and made me laugh. The author did an amazing job of revealing the truism hidden behind the modern mask of the workplaces. I feel lucky that I'm not surrounded anymore by these people who know everything and best. Plus, if they do show up on my path in the future, Reuben's method is always a possibility to make them vanish 😁
I appreciate your sincere comment, Lunastella! Thank you!
Chrystal Oaks wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 22:46 This book sounds similar to a television show called, "The Office." I didn't watch it because it was a bit too bizarre for me. I have a feeling this book will be the same way. :eusa-think: I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for your great review! :-)
I'm sorry! I'm not familiar with this show, but I will have a look, now that you mention it. Most probably, I would enjoy it! Thanks for sharing, Chrystal!
~Tayma Tameem
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

Thanks for this beautiful review. I would love to read this book cause I've being a victim of being maltreated at work having a boss who is a tyrant that keeps deaf ear to the employees, which is quite disheartening.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This book caught my attention from its intriguing title. I just hope the inconsistencies in the book be soughted out. Thanks for the review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

This is such a unique book, and the review has convinced me it would be a good read despite the editorial errors. Good work!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

It is distressing when the work environment becomes intolerable. It's commendable that the author addresses the issue in his writing and enlightens the reader on how things improved for workers. The book seems to be worth the time. I will check it. Thank you for your thoughtful and insightful review. Good job.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

I like the atmosphere created by the author. I also like that the review depicts the precise theme of the book. I enjoyed your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”