Review by OuKoyoo -- Do I Need a Will or a Trust

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Review by OuKoyoo -- Do I Need a Will or a Trust

Post by OuKoyoo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Do I Need a Will or a Trust" by Taylor Willingham.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Do I Need a Will or a Trust? Taylor Phillip Willingham discusses how an individual can transfer property from one generation to another while alive or upon demise. According to Willingham, in the United States, such transfers have to be done in accordance with the stipulated state laws. The author notes that both will and a trust are great tools that one can use to pass on wealth to a person’s choice of beneficiary. The author draws some critical distinctions between the two and argues that while a will is good, a trust is a much better instrument for effective transfer of property owing to its numerous advantages over a will.

The writer is an experienced probate attorney who works mostly in Texas, United States. He notes that a lot of property owners often do not see the need why they should have a either a will or a living trust; or even both. People often give excuses such as the costs involved, the effort and time required as well as the complication that come with creating the legal documents. When it comes to estate planning, Willingham recommends that one needs a trust as it is the most suitable in many different situations such as in blended families, safeguarding minors and staying safe from creditors.

I was intrigued by the author’s claim that lawyers, just like medics, make things confusing with the aim of charging their clients a lot of money. To this extent, the author outlines some terms that sound archaic with their modern translations. Further, Willingham breaks down into simple terms some of the wordy phrases that lawyers use in trusts. Undoubtedly, the sections are enlightening to anyone in possession of a trust or will or intends to create one.

I liked the fact that the book is well structured and flows well from one section to another. Further, the author uses various graphics/diagrams accompanied by appropriate textual explanation to get his point across, making the book much understandable. Also, the author has interspersed the book with stories of some of the clients that he has served in his professional practice. Such stories and the use of direct quotes makes readers relate with whatever the author is discussing much easily.

However, I did not like the memes used in the book; I feel like they did nothing much to enhance the book. Furthermore, the author used some profane words which I believe are not so appropriate for such a topic that he seeks to explore in the book. In spite of the two issues, the book is well-edited, and for me, I would gladly give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The book is well-suited for anyone who has property, but it would be most appropriate for persons above the age of eighteen who are keen on passing on their wealth to other people.

Do I Need a Will or a Trust
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Loved reading this! I am fond of your writing style as well!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I definitely wouldn't have expected a book on this topic to feature memes and profanity. I suppose it's a way to break the monotony of legal explanations, but I can see how it might turn some people off. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm surprised that profanity is used in a book of this genre. Otherwise, It seems like it would certainly be helpful for those of us who are wondering about how to pass on our property to our children or someone else. I thought this would be an uninteresting review when I saw the title. But, I must say that you made it interesting and a pleasure to read. Thanks!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What an interesting review! I am also intrigued by the author's unique style of including memes. Profanity is a bit expected from a lawyer, LOL!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This would definitely be great guide for those who need it! I'm glad that the lawyer has inserted a bit of humour in what would otherwise be slightly depressing. Thanks for the review!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It sounds like the addition of the stories from the author's clients and the inclusion of direct quotes is definitely a value addition to the book. Great review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I am glad the author has the professional experience needed to handle a subject like this. Too bad the memes did not enhance the book in any manner. I am nowhere near the age where I have to be thinking about wills or trusts, so I will have to pass for now. Great review! :wink:
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This is such important information for any citizen. I am glad the author has wrote it as inheritance is a tricky area to navigate. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This sounds like a valuable resource to have on hand. Thank you for your review.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I am glad the author has the practical experience to advise on the subject. Maybe the lawyer wanted to reach many people by including something fun in a boring law book. Too bad it didn't work though. Thanks for the review.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I think this book is something I would love to read. Thank you for the wonderful review!
OuKoyoo

Post by OuKoyoo »

Tomah wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 07:11 I definitely wouldn't have expected a book on this topic to feature memes and profanity. I suppose it's a way to break the monotony of legal explanations, but I can see how it might turn some people off. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for stopping by to comment.
OuKoyoo

Post by OuKoyoo »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 12 Aug 2019, 05:24 Loved reading this! I am fond of your writing style as well!
I am glad that you enjoyed. Thank you.
OuKoyoo

Post by OuKoyoo »

shravsi wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 23:47 I am glad the author has the practical experience to advise on the subject. Maybe the lawyer wanted to reach many people by including something fun in a boring law book. Too bad it didn't work though. Thanks for the review.
I agree with you. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”