Official Review: A Broken Childhood by Lydia Ola Taiwo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: A Broken Childhood by Lydia Ola Taiwo

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Broken Childhood" by Lydia Ola Taiwo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is someone faced with abuse supposed to do? More specifically, how can a child learn to overcome gross abuse? In A Broken Childhood, Dr. Lydia Taiwo tells a deeply personal story both of abuse and recovery. From the time she was four or five years of age, Dr. Taiwo suffered unmentionable abuse. Abuse came from both of her parents and encompassed physical, verbal, and emotional abuse, as well as general neglect, isolation, and lack of love. The abuse did not stop even when she became an adult.

Frankly, this book is very difficult to read. As is typical of abuse survivors, the stories are not told with titillating details, nor are they awash in deeply emotional language. Instead, facts are presented with stark terminology, as if giving more descriptions would cause too much pain to both the author as well as the reader. Scars and lifelong pains are results of the physical abuse the author endured. Emotional trauma leaves marks in other, less visible ways.

Why write such a book and expose yourself to the scrutiny of others? The author explains more than one motive. Often the writing down of these memories aids in the general healing process. Additionally, Dr. Taiwo wishes to shed more light on child abuse and provide aid to children currently needing rescue. A third motive was born out of the strange way her parents had of further abusing her by lying to the younger siblings about the fact they had abused the older siblings. A most remarkable aspect to Dr. Taiwo's story is the rare ability she found to not only persevere through abuse, but also to rise up and forgive the perpetrators of abuse—her parents and other family members. This healing did not come easily. Dr. Taiwo details throughout the story how she was able to be lifted up and have life after abuse. Her story features an unwavering faith in God as One who loves her and provides safety.

A Broken Childhood is actually written in three installments. The original book covers the author's childhood up until her parents removed her from the country she had been born in. Book 2 covers the author's life in Nigeria after the parents moved her and a sister to that country in order to escape possible exposure in the UK. Book 3 describes how the author came to ultimate closure and forgiveness. While building on each other chronologically, each book could somewhat stand alone. In particular, Book 3 rehashes a lot of the details from Books 1 and 2. While I found this to be highly repetitive, I realize that the background information would be necessary for a reader who had not already read the first two books.

As I said earlier, this book was very difficult to read. The details are sickening. It is hard to understand how a family could treat a child in this manner. However, the author's sense of victory over the abuse is also inspiring. Since her ability to move on was intensely spiritual and decidedly Christian, someone who rejects Christianity may find more questions than answers. When deciding just who to recommend the book to, my first inclination is to say, everyone! Everyone needs to know that child abuse does happen, and that the secretive nature of abuse makes it difficult for any victim to be rescued. We all need to be more aware. However, there are details in this book that will be a trigger for any abuse victim or survivor. The author's offer of hope through Christ has the potential to reach someone's heart. I would encourage anyone who feels they have an open mind to read the book and see if they, too, can find healing in Dr. Taiwo's message.

Although this is not an easy book to read, I would give it a full star rating if it had been edited better. Most of the errors are from misplaced commas. While this did not hinder my overall engagement with the book, my final rating has to be 3 out of 4 stars.

A Broken Childhood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I cried reading your review. The book really speaks to me, am not sure I will be able to read it without my heart bleeding. Anyway nice review you wrote there.
Kalombo Kelvin
Currently Reading: Lost and Found
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellc.html
Latest Review: It's Time to Align by Allen Lottinger

Post by Kalombo Kelvin »

You have a way of revealing just enough to make me want to read the book, but still leave a person with questions. Now I want to read the book. It is true child abuse is something that needs to be in public eye. The fact that we don't talk about it is why, it continues to plague us upto now. Knowledge is power and most victims suffer from lack of it and lack of support. They literally feel completely alone. Nice review 👍
greenstripedgiraffe

Gathoni1991 wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 05:47 I cried reading your review. The book really speaks to me, am not sure I will be able to read it without my heart bleeding. Anyway nice review you wrote there.
I am sad for your tears. I could not read this book without putting it down from time to time, as the experience was overwhelming. I hope that you are able to find healing if that is needed. Feel free to reach out PM if you would like to chat. Praise goes to God who is able to heal the hearts of all who suffer, when they look to him in faith.
greenstripedgiraffe

Kellc wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 07:19 You have a way of revealing just enough to make me want to read the book, but still leave a person with questions. Now I want to read the book. It is true child abuse is something that needs to be in public eye. The fact that we don't talk about it is why, it continues to plague us upto now. Knowledge is power and most victims suffer from lack of it and lack of support. They literally feel completely alone. Nice review 👍
Thank you for your kind comments. You are correct... stories like this need to be out there. We need to have conversations, but more than that, we need solutions. Victims are put under a code of silence which makes it so difficult to reach out. Children are so vulnerable ... they are really at the mercy of the adults they live with. It is a hard conversation to have, but these young ones need advocates.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

It's so upsetting that there are so many people out there who have suffered abuse in this broken world. I'm sure this book is hard to read, but it is very inspiring that the author wishes to share her story of overcoming her horrible situation. I admire her for faith and her message of hope and healing.
Cinnamom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnamom.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Cinnamom »

Your review touched me! Childhood abuse is much broader than physical or sexual. Emotional abuse is a deep and serious problem in many homes. It sounds like a book to add to my list at some point. Thank you!
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I enjoyed your review until when I came across "this is not an easy book to read" which I would say discouraged me from finding and reading the book. Thank you for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

My heart goes out to Dr. Taiwo. I admire that the author shares this in order to help others. I'm not sure, though, that I could handle reading it myself.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I really find this type of book to resonate with me on a deeper level than most. I really would love to read all 3 in this series. Thank you for the review.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

A Broken Childhood by Lydia Ola Taiwo is a real sad story of her life.Not to speak of others, the disgusting behavior even by her parents is really a matter of sorrows for all of us.Lydia despite all these faced with patience.This is her greatness and magnanimity that she has brought it to the limelight.The question is that how many millions of children may be facing similar tragedies in their lives.Linda's unflinching faith in God and patience gave her to bear this tragedy.The lesson for the future is how to avoid this kind of tragedies by keeping the innocent children from the cruel hands
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 19:56 My heart goes out to Dr. Taiwo. I admire that the author shares this in order to help others. I'm not sure, though, that I could handle reading it myself.
I totally understand ... I had to put it down several times, because it was too much. :cry:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The sections covering the childhood abuse would be difficult to read. This book offers inspiration, though, as Lydia's faith gave her strength to forgive and overcome her pain. She did not let herself become bitter and hateful. This would be difficult to read, but it can also offer hope to other victims. I enjoyed your touching review!
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

My heart goes out to the author, I am happy that she found healing. I agree that stories like hers need to be told since child abuse happens all around us and the worst thing is that it is perpetrated by those closest to the child.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
greenstripedgiraffe

OuKoyoo wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:49 I enjoyed your review until when I came across "this is not an easy book to read" which I would say discouraged me from finding and reading the book. Thank you for the review.
Abuse is not easy to read about.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”