Official Review: Second time for love by Bruce Cooke

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Second time for love by Bruce Cooke

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Second time for love" by Bruce Cooke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Getting back into the dating scene can be excruciatingly difficult, especially when you are a 50-year-old widow with trust issues. Second Time for Love is a romantic story about finding love—again. A year after the death of her husband, Joanne is still reeling; spending her days drinking and wallowing in depression. Her adult children believe she is drowning in grief, but they are wrong. Joanne’s husband was a womanizer who drank excessively and had no qualms about hitting her. She drinks to numb the painful flashbacks.

After Ritchie’s wife left him for his business partner, he was left to raise their three young children on his own. He worked tirelessly to provide for his family and had little time for romance. Now that they are grown up and he is retired, he has nothing but time on his hands. While finding love has never been high on his list of priorities, that all changes when he meets Joanne at a party. They strike up a conversation, and Ritchie is hooked. He is besotted with Joanne and asks her out. She is hesitant at first, but he assures her that there is no pressure.

Will the pair succeed at finding love despite their past experiences?

Second Time for Love by Bruce Cooke is a light-hearted romantic story that is written in the third person and revolves around Ritchie and Joanne. I was quite perplexed as to why it was listed as a Young Adult novel because I think it is meant to be read by mature adults. Second Time for Love is a character-driven story that examines the essential components of any relationship, such as trust, intimacy, and blending families.

My favorite aspect of the book was the development of Joanne’s character. For years, she had been in an abusive marriage, so it was understandable that she was guarded and had some trust issues. She desperately wanted to open up to Ritchie, but her fear of relationships seemed to hold her back. The author did an excellent job of conveying Joanne’s uneasiness to readers.

I also admired the author for shedding some light on consent, which is vastly important in relationships. I feel that it is a topic that is generally emphasized to younger people, but it speaks to all of us. In the beginning stages of any relationship, couples must discuss expectations and boundaries surrounding intimacy. Joanne hinted that her husband might have taken advantage of her when recounting the times she “submitted” to him. I was delighted to read that Ritchie sensed this and put no pressure on Joanne to have sex.

The only thing that I found off-putting about a Second Time for Love was the way Ritchie conversed with his daughter, Sally. The pair would partake in crude banter which was downright gross. Sally would blatantly ask Ritchie about his sex life with Joanne and would refer to him as a “horny old bastard.” In return, he would often call Sally a “deviant” and inquire about her intimacy with her husband. The most revolting statement was when Sally was talking to Ritchie about him and Joanne. She said, “Dad, I’m thrilled for you. I think Joanne is terrific and I hope you bonk each other stupid.”

The book was professionally edited, and I only noticed a few errors. I chose to give Second Time for Love a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It may be a matter of preference, but I think the book could be improved by omitting the crude exchanges between family members.

This book contains profane language and erotic scenes that are not suitable for younger audiences. Young readers may find it challenging to connect with mature characters. I would recommend Second Time for Love to readers who enjoy love stories that bring awareness to important issues like consent. The book would be an excellent choice for those who possess an off-beat sense of humor and are not easily offended by crude dialogue.

Second time for love
View: on Bookshelves
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

This story of Ritchie and Joanne is so intriguing. I know a couple that has a similar story. They went through a lot because the children couldn't accept the situation. I'm curious to know more about the book. Great review.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Sounds interesting and like a good story. I’m no prude, but it also sounds kind of gross.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

This definitely doesn't sound like a Young Adult novel, which is actually good for me. Romance isn't my favorite genre, but I usually enjoy novels with complex characters and a mature understanding of relationships. Ritchie's interactions with her daughter do sound unusual, but I must admit they amuse me. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I'm glad you pointed out that the book isn't classified correctly as YA, as the cover seems to target a mature audience. I also dislike crude exchanges so I'll probably pass on this one.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

The book sounds interesting and since I "enjoy love stories that bring awareness to important issues like consent" I would like to read it. Thank you for the insightful review.
Cinnamom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnamom.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Cinnamom »

Thank you for the well-written review. Remarriage after abuse in a previous marriage is a difficult subject to approach. I don't think I would care for the crudeness either but the subject of the book is important in today's world.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

What a relationship, Ritchie and his daughter have! I can't imagine talking to my dad like that. That said, I like that the author takes consent seriously, the importance can't be over-emphasized.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Nyambura Githui wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 12:07 This story of Ritchie and Joanne is so intriguing. I know a couple that has a similar story. They went through a lot because the children couldn't accept the situation. I'm curious to know more about the book. Great review.
Blending families can be tricky! Thanks for your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Bhaskins wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 12:39 Sounds interesting and like a good story. I’m no prude, but it also sounds kind of gross.
Thanks for your comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Tomah wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:07 This definitely doesn't sound like a Young Adult novel, which is actually good for me. Romance isn't my favorite genre, but I usually enjoy novels with complex characters and a mature understanding of relationships. Ritchie's interactions with her daughter do sound unusual, but I must admit they amuse me. Thanks for the review!
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cecilia_L wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:18 I'm glad you pointed out that the book isn't classified correctly as YA, as the cover seems to target a mature audience. I also dislike crude exchanges so I'll probably pass on this one.
Thank you!
Stephanie Elizabeth

OuKoyoo wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:42 The book sounds interesting and since I "enjoy love stories that bring awareness to important issues like consent" I would like to read it. Thank you for the insightful review.
Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Cinnamom wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:44 Thank you for the well-written review. Remarriage after abuse in a previous marriage is a difficult subject to approach. I don't think I would care for the crudeness either but the subject of the book is important in today's world.
[/quote
Yes-- some very important topics are addressed. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Michelle Fred wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 14:57 What a relationship, Ritchie and his daughter have! I can't imagine talking to my dad like that. That said, I like that the author takes consent seriously, the importance can't be over-emphasized.
I couldn't agree more! Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”