Official Review: Ringing the Changes by Kathleen McCoy

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Ringing the Changes by Kathleen McCoy

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ringing the Changes" by Kathleen McCoy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

nature's brightness
catches us and we see the spectrum of light
where our auras touch.

-- from "Community: June 26, 2015"

Kathleen McCoy knows that our auras do touch, and she explores those occurrences in Ringing the Changes. This collection of poetry is full of stunning imagery and compelling concepts, inspiring an in-depth look at how lives interconnect.  If I had to choose a theme for this book, it would certainly be unity.

This book is a well-written, remarkable collection of poetry that concentrates mostly on Christian topics. However, McCoy's poems also include other religions and the legalization of marriage "for all American couples." Before most poems, McCoy includes quotes from various authors and the Bible. I found this a profoundly interesting complement to the poems. It reflects on the author's perspective and adds to readers' understanding.  Most of these works are short poems that don't rely on rhymes. Instead, they rely on vivid imagery, alliteration, and other poetic devices.

There are many poems about dreams throughout the book, and the first of the four sections of poetry is entitled, "Dreams and Meditations." This musical line written with internal slant rhymes is from "In dreams' liminal land:" "there is light on umber evenings, ombre rooms, amber hands." The author's use of the rhymes to connect the imagery here creates a lasting picture that pulls the reader into the scene. Another poem in this section is "Student Teachers," a powerful poem discussing human hurts like abuse, addiction, and anger. Its compelling first line is, "I don't know anyone over twenty who isn't/ brokenhearted." 

The second section is titled "Waiting in Wonder / Advent Dreams" and is about the birth of Jesus Christ and the people involved in the events surrounding that. In this section, we first see poetry with an uncommon stanza format: the lines are divided in half and are set up in columns. This layout makes for focused sections of reading, making the words more powerful, and putting movement into them. While I cannot format the spacing correctly here, I want to include an example of the importance of the pause. The following lines are from "Meeting Gabriel:" "how the whole of language (break) intervenes and yet/ our silence (break) grows."

The third section, "Lent / Pasch / Passover," is my favorite. In this part, the author includes New Testament-inspired poems crafted from the points of view of Biblical figures as they encounter Jesus. These poems are beautiful and compelling. Some caused me to pause and reflect, like the poems about the Samaritan woman's conversion and Lazarus' resurrection. In my opinion, though, the most powerful poem is "Mary at Golgotha." This poem speaks from Mary's viewpoint as she witnesses Jesus hanging on the cross. "Would to God these nails/ wouldn't split your gentle head,/ you couldn't see me driven to hell/ on the back of your wooden beast./ If this is a dream, let us both waken soon."

The final section, "Ordinary Time," is a collection of poetry on several topics that all still relate to unity. One that stands out is "Amish Quilt," which discusses the connections among our life experiences. This poem is full of beautiful imagery like, "Squinting eyes could mistake it/ for a stained glass window." This section also contains elegies and the title poem, "Ringing the Changes," a lovely treatment of the significance of bells in various situations like death, joy, and religion.

Not finding anything I dislike, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The poetry is strong, beautiful, and thought-provoking. I found only one typo in the book, so it seems to be professionally edited. Besides recommending it to poetry lovers, I also recommend it to people looking for refreshing looks into New Testament personalities. This collection is a beautiful reminder of how lives affect other lives.

Ringing the Changes
View: on Bookshelves
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like how detailed your review is. Reading your review I could tell you thoroughly enjoyed the book. I'm certain I will enjoy the book, judging by the excerpts I have read.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Michelle Fred wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 05:58 I like how detailed your review is. Reading your review I could tell you thoroughly enjoyed the book. I'm certain I will enjoy the book, judging by the excerpts I have read.
It certainly deserves a read. Thank you for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Based on your informative review, this sounds like a lovely collection. Thanks for the recommendation.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 11:59 Based on your informative review, this sounds like a lovely collection. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks for taking time to comment, Cecilia! :)
sarahmarlowe
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree. This seems like a lovely collection of poems. That first line from "Student Teachers" does pack a punch for readers. Thanks for the recommendation!
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

kdstrack wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 15:52 I agree. This seems like a lovely collection of poems. That first line from "Student Teachers" does pack a punch for readers. Thanks for the recommendation!
Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!
sarahmarlowe
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a beautifully-written collection of poems. I'm glad you enjoyed them so much!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I like that the author is able to cover a wide variety of topics in one cohesive collection. Her unique take on the Biblical figures you mentioned is also interesting and powerful. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an inspiring collection, and I love when poetry can evoke so much emotion. Thanks for the review!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

This book of poems sounds absolutely moving and poignant, especially "Student Teachers." I enjoyed reading your informative review and have convinced me that I want to read it. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

You did a great review. I am not drawn to poetry but would recommend the book to anyone who loves the genre.Thank you.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I like the emphasis on unity since it's true that indeed our lives affect others. I would like to read this book. Thanks for the enthralling review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a beautiful poetry book, although I don't usually enjoy reading poetry. Thank you for a wonderful review!
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

unamilagra wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 20:22 This sounds like a beautifully-written collection of poems. I'm glad you enjoyed them so much!
Yes! When one opens a book of poetry, what awaits can be wonderful or dreadful. I'm glad this was a good collection, too. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”