Official Review: Peach Fuzz by José Potter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Peach Fuzz by José Potter

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peach Fuzz" by José Potter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peach Fuzz by Jose Potter is a fascinating Spanglish children’s book that is equal parts entertaining and educative. The story follows Pilip, a 12-year-old boy who is tired of working a meaningless job at a gold mining business owned by the dreadful Mr. Sweeney. Mr. Sweeney’s sister, Ms. Sweeny, is an equally obnoxious woman who runs a peach farm. Having been shown kindness by an older boy who used to work at the mine, Pilip decides to pay it forward by taking the new boy, Eugene, under his wing and showing him the ropes. A theft at Ms. Sweeney’s peach farm has far-reaching consequences, with Pilip caught right in the middle. Does Pilip have what it takes to solve the mystery of the theft? Will Mr. and Ms. Sweeny pay for their devious ways? Also, what’s the deal with the talking mouse?

The themes of friendship, kind consideration, determination, and learning were highpoints for me in this book. Pilip was never too embarrassed to admit to his ignorance of some of the things Eugene spoke about – despite Eugene being significantly younger. Eugene was a patient teacher, and Pilip was a dutiful pupil. I think that the way Potter portrayed Pilip and Eugene’s interaction makes it so any kid reading the book, understands that learning can be fun, and knowledge can be gained from where you least expect.

I also appreciate how the author subtly inserted bits of useful facts and values meant to educate the reader throughout the story. Things to be learned include interesting new words and their meaning - i.e. Lackadaisical; the four seasons of the year, how to solve a simple math problem, how to be imaginative, how to be considerate of others, the simple acts of kindness and generosity, just to name a few. I was impressed to see that the Millennium Prize Problems was mentioned, including the only problem that has been solved till date by the Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman.

However, there were a few minor issues with the book. First, the illustrations looked a lot like a child’s drawings. It is possible that this was the author’s intention, seeing as it is a children’s book. Nevertheless, at least on one occasion, what the illustration was supposed to represent was unclear. Also, in the scene where the talking mouse was first introduced, it spoke Spanish - which was not translated for the reader. I could pick up on some of the things the mouse was saying, but for the most part, I was in the dark.

The issues aside, the story flowed well, and the characters were unique, well-developed, and memorable. The plot went a little off track on more than one occasion, but not enough to detract from the overall quality of the story. The book appeared professionally edited with very little grammatical errors. I would recommend this book to elementary school kids, and I have no doubt in my mind that they will come away from the experience feeling enlightened and entertained. I rate Peach Fuzz 4 out of 4 stars.

Peach Fuzz
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I love children's books that are entertaining and educating all at once. I will get a copy for my son, I am sure he will enjoy it. Thanks for such an elaborate review.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like how educative the book is. However, the themes are my favorite. Any children's book that promotes friendship and hardwork is a must have for my kids.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The talking mouse is intriguing - especially taking into account some of the other elements that are included in the book, (Perelman)! The author includes many aspects to stimulate the minds of young readers. Great review.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

MatereF wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 02:56 I love children's books that are entertaining and educating all at once. I will get a copy for my son, I am sure he will enjoy it. Thanks for such an elaborate review.
Thank you for stopping by. Hope your son enjoys it 🙂
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 04:52 I like how educative the book is. However, the themes are my favorite. Any children's book that promotes friendship and hardwork is a must have for my kids.
And I am certain your kids will enjoy the book. Thank you for commenting. 🙂
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kdstrack wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:04 The talking mouse is intriguing - especially taking into account some of the other elements that are included in the book, (Perelman)! The author includes many aspects to stimulate the minds of young readers. Great review.
You hit the nail on the head with the stimulating young minds part. Thank you for your kind words.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

This sounds like a lovely and educative children's book. Great review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This seems like a fun and educational book for children. I like the aspect of repaying the kindness that was exhibited toward Pilip forward to Eugene. Thank you for a well-written review!
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Wambui-nj wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 03:52 This sounds like a lovely and educative children's book. Great review.
Thank you for stopping by 🙂
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Prisallen wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 08:14 This seems like a fun and educational book for children. I like the aspect of repaying the kindness that was exhibited toward Pilip forward to Eugene. Thank you for a well-written review!
Thank you so much for your kind words.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

jasmine-louise wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 19:52 sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by 🙂

Return to “Children's Books”