Official Review: Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: Vitamin T...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: Vitamin T...

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: Vitamin Therapy for Stronger Bones" by Bryant Lusk.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health enthusiasts will find valuable information in the book Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: Vitamin Therapy for Stronger Bones by Bryant Lusk. While this guide focuses on nutrients to take to ward off fragile bones, it provides great insight regarding the do's and don'ts of supplement intake.

We often take our skeletal system for granted. When was the last time you consciously thought about your hips or legs as you climbed a set of stairs? Did you know that your body rebuilds its bones seven times during your lifetime? This and other facts are presented to get readers to be more mindful of taking good care of themselves and reducing unnecessary fractures due to poor eating habits. This author highlights which vitamins help create strong bones and which ones can hinder the process.

What I liked most about this book was that it was written in a straightforward manner. As readers are advised about how to improve their state of well being, they are not overburdened with big medical terminology. Each chapter addresses a certain substance, such as magnesium, and in very simple language, it is explained how one's use of minerals like this can strengthen you physically. All of this is accompanied by detailed graphs and charts that make this reader-friendly.

I have read a vast number of medical books, and I was impressed that this author wrote about subjects I had not come across before. I was especially engaged by the section that focused on good liver function and how it contributes to combating osteoporosis. When a book presents a topic that is new to me, it is considered a favorite. I was under the impression that calcium intake was key to fighting off these diseases, and I discovered that this was not completely true. Who knew there was an intricate network of functions that have to cooperate with one another so that our bodies can sustain their bone density?

In addition, everything is backed by research. The end of the book has a bibliography that is nine full pages, so that gives one the idea of how many sources and facts make up the material. This writer has taken his own personal experience along with diligent study to enlighten the public toward a better way of living. He stated in no way was he promoting certain products to gain financial success. His goal is to unlock the truth behind some of the myths of these diseases so that people can make informed decisions and drop some of the dangerous trends that so many fall prey to. An entire section is outlined that suggests what types of supplements should be taken and in what amounts according to the age of the person. And as with all books in this type of genre, any advice given should always be gone over with your physician before embarking on any changes.

I am awarding this 4 out of 4 stars for its excellent presentation. I did not find anything I didn't like about this book, and it seems to have been professionally edited as I found no errors in punctuation, spelling or grammar.

The author mentions that young adults should become aware of good bone health and how to promote it. The earlier one begins, the better. With that in mind, I would recommend this to readers in their early twenties all the way up to those of advanced age. For individuals who don't like health manuals, you may want to bypass this one.

Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: Vitamin Therapy for Stronger Bones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Everything happens for a reason...
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The millions of advice from self acclaimed professionals out there calls for books like this. I love medical books, especially when the information contained is research backed, and the author does away with medical lingo. I'm thrilled to know this book is all that and more. Thanks for your detailed review.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

I have reviewed a similar book and I was amazed by how intrigueing it was. I was always one to shy away from these types of books because I thought they were complicated and uninteresting. Thank you for a very informative review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Based on your excellent review, this sounds like an informative and comprehensive guide. Thanks for the recommendation.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's interesting how liver function is connected to strong bones. I would be curious to hear what the author has to say about the relationship between sunlight and bone health. Thanks for the interesting recommendation.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

Thank you for your review. This book sounds very helpful and trustworthy. Staying healthy is very important, and I’m glad that there are books out there that are looking out for us.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Does this book suggest to replace Calcium with Magnesium? Well, that's really new information to me. Then, I should find time to read this book. Thanks for recommendation.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”