Official Review: Is God Worth a Dime by Sandra Kay Cooper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Official Review: Is God Worth a Dime by Sandra Kay Cooper

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Is God Worth a Dime" by Sandra Kay Cooper.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Money is a sensitive subject. It is a finite resource compared to our infinite needs, and even when we earn more our standards of living increase thus rendering money insufficient again. Giving is a subject talked about more often but practiced by a few. How can we make God an important part of our financial plans? Is God Worth a Dime? Giving Doesn't Get Easier than This by Sandra Kay Cooper addresses the subject of giving, especially tithing. The book is only 108 pages long hence can be read in a single sitting. However, the information it offers is life-transforming.

This book is divided into three parts. The first part details the purpose of tithing. The second part is on the process of tithing, and the third one is on the plan of tithing itself. Therefore, the author not only encourages people to give but also gives them practical information on how to do so. The reader is encouraged to be intentional about giving God first and not last.

There are a lot of things that I liked in the book. The first was the emphasis on the fact that we are only stewards of the resources God has entrusted to us. This perspective enables the reader to appreciate God as the giver of everything. Consequently, giving back to God becomes easier. I also liked how the author handled giving as an integral part of the overall financial planning. Thus, one of the topics handled was debt elimination. I believe that when one facet of our financial plans fails, then the rest are bound to suffer as well. Hence, debt elimination becomes a critical aspect of tithing. The other thing I liked was the importance of attitude change in giving. The author states that being positive about giving is the most significant issue. The only thing I did not like was where the author quoted scriptures without writing the name of the book.

The language employed in the book was straightforward. Many books have been written on tithing. Hence, I was delighted when I discovered this can be understood more easily. Furthermore, the primary thing handled was the motive behind the giving and not the amount. I did not find any typos in the book. The only error was the missing title of a Bible book quoted in one section of the book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It could have earned a perfect rating were it not for the failure to note the Bible book quoted when the author was tackling the Biblical principles on giving. I recommend the book to Christian believers. It will appeal most to those who have a challenge in giving.

Is God Worth a Dime
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I don't agree with the author as l don't believe humans can give back to God. You can support the ministry of God's word or give back to the society but not to God. He doesn't need anyone's money.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I am a believer in tithing and appreciate your thoughtful review on this book. I like that it makes such a strong case for paying tithes and the inherent blessings that come from doing so.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

The title of this book piqued my interest, and I enjoyed your insightful review.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

The book sounds interesting. I'd like to know more about what Sandra has written concerning tithing. Amazing review.
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

The title is great but...I don't guy into the author's premise of "giving back to God". That's nonsensical to me but your review was so well written that it clarified why I will not read this book.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

The title caught my eye on this one. I was wondering if this was a book about tithing. Thanks for the review and for sharing your thoughts on the book!
kadinkins14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kadinkins14.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by kadinkins14 »

Tithing is a controversial subject and I’m glad to see a fresh perspective offered regarding it. I’m glad this novel is short without too much wordage.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

angiejack456 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 08:33 I am a believer in tithing and appreciate your thoughtful review on this book. I like that it makes such a strong case for paying tithes and the inherent blessings that come from doing so.
My thoughts too.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
MatereF
Currently Reading:

Post by MatereF »

While I like the fact that in your review you have mentioned how well the author has tackled the subject of tithing, I have an issue with the missing Bible books that have been quoted. I like it when the book name, chapter and verse have been included so that I can also make a personal reference in the Bible as I read. That aside, this is a great review and I have added the book to my ever-growing to-read list.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
MatereF
Currently Reading:

Post by MatereF »

Michelle Fred wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 05:48 I don't agree with the author as l don't believe humans can give back to God. You can support the ministry of God's word or give back to the society but not to God. He doesn't need anyone's money.
I guess in supporting the ministry you are giving back to God since you are making it possible for the work of the Kingdom to continue here on earth, the same goes for giving back to society. It's true, God does not need anyone's money, but His people do since we are made in His image.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

MatereF wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 03:24
Michelle Fred wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 05:48 I don't agree with the author as l don't believe humans can give back to God. You can support the ministry of God's word or give back to the society but not to God. He doesn't need anyone's money.
I guess in supporting the ministry you are giving back to God since you are making it possible for the work of the Kingdom to continue here on earth, the same goes for giving back to society. It's true, God does not need anyone's money, but His people do since we are made in His image.
Good point you made. But I much prefer the word 'support' to ''giving back to God."
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I would love to read this book just to understand the author's perception on tithing. This is a contraversial topic even among Christians. Great review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Amazing review and a very interesting subject this book touches on. I would rather look at it from a charity point of view :)
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I think the giving feeling should come naturally and without expectations. If I were to look only from the tithing perspective, God is astonishingly modest. I haven't occurred in the Bible any part about giving half or thirds of income, but only the tenth part. The topic seems quite controversial. Who knows? Maybe there is a financial department that needs to pay the angels' wages. Personally, I doubt it. It is beyond my understanding. Maybe the 10% can be received from any earthly material, not essentially in money? Sometimes, a winter jacket in the freezing days, for an undressed man, could cover the 10% of any tax. I don't think we should resume only to the tithing, but more on the humble willingness of giving. Anyway, thank you for your lovely review! I'm not sure yet if I'll enjoy this book or not, but it was a pleasure reading your recommendation.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”