Official Review: Shadows by William Stephen Edwards

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Shadows by William Stephen Edwards

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadows" by William Stephen Edwards.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shadows by William Stephen Edwards is a diverse collection featuring poetry about a range of topics, including love, relationships, illness, suffering, nature, seasons, spirituality, and war.

The book spans almost 300 pages, and Edwards is a poet who seems comfortable writing from different perspectives. In several of his poems such as "Black Beauty" and "We Were Soldiers,” Edwards shares poignant reflections on Vietnam, while"Hanna Blue" is a heartfelt message to his daughter. In others, he ventures into the spiritual and mythical, writing about Jesus, Hercules, and Xena.

The forms of poetry contained in the book are almost as varied as the topics Edwards writes about. Be it Middle English prose, free verse, or haiku, he is adventurous when it comes to style. The tone and themes of Edwards' poetry are reflective of the seasons in his life. As a veteran, his poems about the war express anger and remorse. During his career as a speech pathologist, the poems about patients are characterized by compassion, while the poems he writes about relationships convey joy, longing, and sorrow.

I particularly liked "Cradle," although the poem is a single stanza, it evoked both a visual and emotional response in me. Based on the title, one might assume the poem was about a baby's cradle or childhood, but instead, it literally described the anticipation of retiring to bed when weary. Edwards compared the movement of the sheet to a billowing parachute in a manner that I could visualize and found relaxing and soothing. Below is the final line of the poem:

"It sweeps away care with a gentle wind
And the darkness is a cradle once again."

On the other hand, I disliked the poems featuring forms of Middle English vocabulary. Although Edwards seemed partial to words such as "'ore” and “hie,” I noticed an editor's notes on a handful of the poems, questioning their use. In response, Edwards specified his choice of the Middle English word rather than replacing it.

Also, the punctuation is inconsistent from poem to poem. I realize that punctuation is sometimes intentionally omitted in poetry. However, if two stanzas are similarly formatted, and only one lacks punctuation, it seems more like an oversight and less intentional. Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It will appeal to poetry lovers, especially those who enjoy eclectic collections. However, as the book contains profanity including a racial slur and sexual content, it is intended for a mature audience.

UPDATE FROM REVIEWER: Since this review was first published, the author has removed an ethnic slur that was included in a poem about Vietnam. I found no other offensive content; readers who initially passed on the book may wish to reconsider in light of this update.

Shadows
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Poetry is growing on me, however, I still do not enjoy all forms of it. Though I have a feeling I will enjoy some of Edwards's poems, the profanity and racial slurs contained is giving me second thoughts. Thanks for your review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Michelle Fred wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 07:25 Poetry is growing on me, however, I still do not enjoy all forms of it. Though I have a feeling I will enjoy some of Edwards's poems, the profanity and racial slurs contained is giving me second thoughts. Thanks for your review.
I appreciate your comment.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I do enjoy poetry, but racial slurs are a deal breaker for me. :shock: Thank you for an excellent review, though. :D
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

mmm17 wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 18:40 I do enjoy poetry, but racial slurs are a deal breaker for me. :shock: Thank you for an excellent review, though. :D
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

While I am beginning to enjoy poetry, I think the eclectic nature of this collection might deter me. I would prefer some sort of theme. Excellent review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

angiejack456 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 07:10 While I am beginning to enjoy poetry, I think the eclectic nature of this collection might deter me. I would prefer some sort of theme. Excellent review!
Thanks for your comment, Angie.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I'd like to have a look at this one, if I get the chance. One of the good things about poetry collections, I think, is that even if you don't like every single poem the writer puts in front of you, it's often still possible to find one or two gems. I think that's what I'm picking up from your review. Thanks for the update too, which will help people decide if they want to have a look.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 13:11 I'd like to have a look at this one, if I get the chance. One of the good things about poetry collections, I think, is that even if you don't like every single poem the writer puts in front of you, it's often still possible to find one or two gems. I think that's what I'm picking up from your review. Thanks for the update too, which will help people decide if they want to have a look.
That's a great point, Brendan, and I agree. There are usually certain poems in a collection that speak to me more than others. I appreciate your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

300 pages of poetry? I just couldn't do it. I love that there's a variety of styles which includes middle English. It seems like a great one for poetry lovers. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The quote you included from "Cradle" is beautiful. As adults, we don't think about how our bed cradles us every night. The author seems to have a wide range of themes. Your review does a thorough job of informing readers of what to expect from this tome of poetry. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 18:28 300 pages of poetry? I just couldn't do it. I love that there's a variety of styles which includes middle English. It seems like a great one for poetry lovers. Thanks for a great review.
Haha, I understand. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 21:17 The quote you included from "Cradle" is beautiful. As adults, we don't think about how our bed cradles us every night. The author seems to have a wide range of themes. Your review does a thorough job of informing readers of what to expect from this tome of poetry. Great review!
Thank you. :tiphat:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I have as a goal to read more poetry this year. This sounds like a book that I might pick up. Thanks for the great review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

How interesting that the collection even includes a haiku style poetry! I would like to check this one out, I appreciate poetry in any form. :) Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”