Official Review: The Choice, the unexpected heroes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: The Choice, the unexpected heroes

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Choice, the unexpected heroes" by Gwen M. Plano.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Choice: the unexpected heroes is a masterpiece of suspense and intrigue. The story begins with Admiral Joseph Parker visiting General Robert Taylor at Begert Air Force Base in Sacramento. They will combine efforts to piece together events that led to the failed assassination attempt on the President there. Brad Channing, a former Navy SEAL, was one of the ten casualties that had helped to derail that attack. Sarah O’Brien, the love of Brad’s life, was also killed that day.

Soon, the admiral and general uncover evidence that implicates government officials in some of the highest offices of the United States. They learn that the final goal of these attacks is a one-world government. To further complicate matters, there is someone on base watching and reporting their every move. But, who is this mole reporting to? Who is “The Lion,” the mastermind? Parker advises what they do know about the Lion. “He controls by fear. He lives off hate, the anger of people pitted against one another because of race, religion, inequities, or whatever. He creates the divisions through distortions, and then moves in and takes control.” As body bags mount and trust plummets, will they be able to intervene in time?

I liked that the author included a Foreward, which provided an excellent summary of the first book in this trilogy. Therefore, the reader can move seamlessly into this second installment and not feel lost in the story. And while there is a final book in this series, this story was easily able to stand on its own. The ending certainly hints at another book but does not leave the reader with several loose plots.

Also, I loved the timeless theme of good vs. evil. Hope, amidst catastrophe and fear, dominated the tone of this book. Plano did an outstanding job of developing her characters, even secondary ones. While I enjoyed getting to know both the admiral and general, I especially loved becoming familiar with Donna Tucker (Sarah’s best friend who came to the base to see where her friend perished) and Jim Anderson (Begert’s PR department’s leader and liaison to Donna). I could easily relate to Donna and imagine her determination to serve the memory of her departed best friend. Additionally, the novel’s plot was intriguing and frighteningly realistic.

Since I am unaware of any errors in this book, I will say that it was exceptionally well-edited. (The capitalization in the title is per the author's preference). There was some profanity, but it was not consistently a part of this story. I appreciated that romance bloomed in the midst of this riveting plot and that the author kept the few sex scenes relatively sedate. While there was mention of numerous murders, these references were also tastefully written and were not at all explicit. As I could not find anything to dislike about this novel, it is with great pleasure that I award The Choice: the unexpected heroes by Gwen M. Plano 4 out of 4 stars.

This story will undoubtedly appeal to readers fond of thrillers, suspense, romance, and the age-old battle between good and evil. Those who are sensitive to any profanity or references to violence will likely prefer to choose a different book. I list this masterpiece among my favorite novels and eagerly await Plano’s final book in this captivating series!

The Choice, the unexpected heroes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like when romance is infused into books like this, it acts as light to what could have otherwise been a dark book. I hope good prevails against evil in the end. Thanks for your fantastic review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Thanks for your wonderful review! I am glad the book provides a Foreward so readers can be brought up to speed and there is a bit of romance woven into the storyline.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Good vs evil usually makes for a good story and I like the blending of romance into the story.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

The villain in this book sounds interesting. I enjoy a good vs evil book and love to be able to cheer for the good guys even if it looks like the bad guy seems to be winning. The struggle makes the victory at the end more satisfying than if there is no challenge at all. I personally like to read books in order, so despite the forward, I'd be interested to read the first book before giving this one a shot. Thanks for the great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a compelling story line! This idea of a one-world government has been simmering in the background for quite some time. It was thoughtful of the author to include a summary of the first book in the series. This really intrigues me. Thanks for the recommendation!
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

What a unique idea to provide a foreword in a series that brings the reader up to speed! I really like that because even if a novel is a standalone, you often still would like a bit of background info. Lovely review, thank you, Bluebird. :)
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a very thrilling and well-written book. I might have to check out this series! Great review!
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

I love suspense and action books. The plot is quite unique. Will read in future
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Sooo...suspense, dystopia (kind of), and romance. Seems like a mix right up my alley. This one will be going on my TBR shelf! Thanks for the intriguing review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Michelle Fred wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 05:54 I like when romance is infused into books like this, it acts as light to what could have otherwise been a dark book. I hope good prevails against evil in the end. Thanks for your fantastic review.
I agree, Michelle, the romance portions provided a brief respite from a pretty serious and intense plot. Thank you so much for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 06:57 Thanks for your wonderful review! I am glad the book provides a Foreward so readers can be brought up to speed and there is a bit of romance woven into the storyline.
I, too, appreciate the summary provided and, of course, the romance. Thanks so much, Stephanie, for your comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:45 Good vs evil usually makes for a good story and I like the blending of romance into the story.
Definitely. I never tire of good vs. evil or romance. Thank you, Cecilia, for your comments. :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:51 The villain in this book sounds interesting. I enjoy a good vs evil book and love to be able to cheer for the good guys even if it looks like the bad guy seems to be winning. The struggle makes the victory at the end more satisfying than if there is no challenge at all. I personally like to read books in order, so despite the forward, I'd be interested to read the first book before giving this one a shot. Thanks for the great review!
Yes, even with the Foreword, I think reading the first book is best- especially if it was as good as this one. Thank you for reading my review and for commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 21:04 What a compelling story line! This idea of a one-world government has been simmering in the background for quite some time. It was thoughtful of the author to include a summary of the first book in the series. This really intrigues me. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yes, I was thankful for the Foreword and found the plot line quite intriguing. Thank you so much, kdstrack, for your comments! :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”