Official Review: Lucy Loved Me by Paula Stewart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Lucy Loved Me by Paula Stewart

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lucy Loved Me" by Paula Stewart.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Lucy was truly one of a kind. She was my sister, she was my mother, and she was my best friend. You’re only lucky to have one of these in your life. I was lucky it was Lucy. I did love Lucy, and Lucy loved me.”

Paula Stewart is an actress, film producer, and singer who shared a close friendship with Lucille Ball for over thirty years. When Stewart's agent sent her to audition for the part of Lucy's sister in Wildcat, the young star was so engrossed in her Broadway career, that she was unfamiliar with Lucille Ball and her hit television show. However, despite Stewart's initial disinterest in the role, Lucy selected her even though she was first passed over because she was "too much like Lucille Ball." As it was Lucy's debut in a Broadway musical, Stewart offered to help her with the songs, and they became friends. In Lucy Loved Me -- A Memoir, Stewart highlights their relationships and careers, as well as the friendship between the two women. Through Stewart's transitions from actress, producer, interior designer, real estate, and mother, the friendship remained constant. Lucy would eventually play the significant role of godmother to Stewart's son, Michael.

The grammatical editing of this 288-page was flawless. However, Stewart's writing segues weren't as seamless as her career transitions. In more than a few instances, she hooked me with an interesting memory without quite finishing the story and then shifted to an unrelated topic. For example, she recalled the time Lucy was recognized in a hospital elevator by a pregnant woman. When Stewart shared that the lady's water broke, just as she asked for Lucy's autograph, I for one, wanted to know what happened next. "It got even more surreal" didn't seem sufficient given the circumstances.

The portions of the book I liked most were those that focused on Stewart’s friendship with Lucy. The author candidly portrayed the mutual respect and admiration they felt for each other, as well as Lucy's protectiveness toward her, both in her relationships and career. Lucy frequently warned her about men who had reputations as womanizers; "You know, Paula, I met Desi in Too Many Girls and it ended with too many girls." In another instance, Lucy cautioned her against accepting a role for reasons she hadn't considered, which proved to be accurate. I also enjoyed the photographs the author included from her personal collection.

I disliked the inclusion of sexual innuendos, off-color jokes, and vulgar comments. Although there were times the author quoted others, many of the gratuitous references were hers. As humor is subjective, some readers may appreciate the lewd humor, while others may find it off-putting. However, the profanity, sexual references, and humor aren't suitable for young readers.

Due to the choppy writing style and gratuitous inuendos, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fans of Lucille Ball, Paula Stewart, and memoirs. However, readers who dislike crude humor will prefer to pass on this one.

Lucy Loved Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I love the friendship the two women shared. Their love and care for each other shines through the pages. I wonder why the author felt the need to include gratuitous innuendos. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Michelle Fred wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 05:39 I love the friendship the two women shared. Their love and care for each other shines through the pages. I wonder why the author felt the need to include gratuitous innuendos. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
Thank you, Michelle.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds like the ideas were not quite collected and put together in a logical manner. The story sounds great though. Thank you for the review.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

The crude humor is definitely a turn off for me. It also seems like many of the stories need more development. Thanks for the great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I have always been a fan of Lucille Ball's so I am eager to read this one. Thanks for your lovely review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dee_218 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 06:35 Sounds like the ideas were not quite collected and put together in a logical manner. The story sounds great though. Thank you for the review.
Thanks for your comment, Dee.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

angiejack456 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 07:16 The crude humor is definitely a turn off for me. It also seems like many of the stories need more development. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 07:26 I have always been a fan of Lucille Ball's so I am eager to read this one. Thanks for your lovely review!
Thanks, Stephanie. I appreciate your comment.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I love the friendship between Lucy and Paula. It's one of a kind. Great review, very detailed.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:59 I love the friendship between Lucy and Paula. It's one of a kind. Great review, very detailed.
Thank you. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I, like you, would want more details; the memories seem to end too abruptly for my tastes. I loved Lucy, though, and would like to learn more about her through this actresses eyes. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Lucy is one actress that made us laugh. We all have lovely memories of her shows and roles. The author's experiences can only add to our fond memories. Thanks for this lovely recommendation.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 11:59 I love the friendship between Lucy and Paula. It's one of a kind. Great review, very detailed.
Thank you.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 18:31 I, like you, would want more details; the memories seem to end too abruptly for my tastes. I loved Lucy, though, and would like to learn more about her through this actresses eyes. Thanks!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”