Official Review: All In by L. K. Simonds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: All In by L. K. Simonds

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All In" by L. K. Simonds.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All In: A Novel by L.K. Simonds is a fictional tale about redemption. Cami is twenty-nine and enviously successful. Her first novel was a sleeper hit, turning Cami into a best-selling author and minor celebrity. Based on outward appearances, Cami has it all, but underneath the façade, she’s fading fast. The successful writer has a handsome boyfriend, but Joel is starting to feel like the two are no longer compatible because of Cami’s crippling emotional distance. In a last-minute attempt to assuage Joel’s feelings, Cami starts seeing a therapist. Although her sessions don’t seem all that helpful, Cami is forced to think about her life and her past, and she doesn’t much like how these reveries make her feel. One day, a random phone call from a stranger claiming to be a distant relative changes Cami’s life forever.

The novel is told from Cami’s first-person perspective, and this was a strong choice. Cami is abrasive and cynical, yet she is also incredibly astute, making her a narrator worthy of a reader’s investment. As Cami experiences life, her voice masterfully captures the confusions and expectations many young women face when at a crossroads. Still, some readers may find her callousness unlikable; however, Cami is so strikingly complex that her narrative is nothing short of entertaining, no matter how one feels about her character. Similarly, the author showcases a real knack for developing intriguing secondary characters. For example, Kate, the distant relative, exudes an air of mystery, leaving the reader guessing at her motives even though they were clearly laid out upon the character’s introduction.

Simonds should also be praised for her expert descriptions. A significant portion of the novel takes place in New York City. Cami’s success as a best-selling author has allowed her to live out the life she’s always dreamed. She has a beautiful apartment and access to culture and luxuries one can only find in The City of Dreams. I reveled in the descriptions of the people, places and atmosphere Cami experiences. Her boyfriend, Joel, works for the Broadway production of Cats, and the references to the show and its characters were insightful metaphors for parts of Cami’s journey.

In spite of this praise, a significant problem lies within the book’s identity. Although the categorization isn’t initially clear, All In is sometimes marketed as Christian fiction. However, Cami’s character is more in line with the gritty female protagonists found in mainstream fiction, reminding me closely of Gillian Flynn’s Camille Preaker or Amy Dunne from Sharp Objects and Gone Girl, respectively. Further, Simonds’ writing is equally raw and uncompromised, not shying away from Cami’s promiscuity and substance abuse. Again, All In feels more like the mercilessly-honest styles of current literary stars like Ottessa Moshfegh and Celeste Ng, and not at all like a Christian fiction novel. It isn't until the last ten percent of the book that a drastic change towards Simonds’ religious intentions occurs. Although the development of Cami’s story is sufficient to uphold Simonds’ ending, the conclusion still felt out of place, even downright wrong in comparison to the majority of the narrative.

All In is a curious book due to its disconnected ending, and this makes it difficult to recommend. It’s likely that typical readers of Christian fiction won’t appreciate the majority of the novel, but they will find solace in its resolution. On the other hand, fans of gritty literary fiction are sure to enjoy Simonds’ beautiful prose and engaging storytelling, though they will probably groan over the finale. Likewise, the book’s confused identity made it difficult to settle on a rating. I thoroughly enjoyed following Cami’s narration, and Simonds’ writing is exceptional; however, I really struggled to find a connection between the disturbingly-real nature of Cami’s story and Simonds’ typical Christian-fiction ending, so I landed on 3 out of 4 stars.

All In
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds like an interesting novel. I cannot help but think how relevant it is to us who follow modern pop-culture and lifestyles of the socially elite.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Thanks for the engaging review; Cami sounds like a strong character!
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I read the title, looked at the cover and thought that card-playing or gambling would feature somewhere in this novel. Bit disappointed now! Thanks for your review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your struggle with the confusion of genre is understandable. I agree with you final conclusions. You did a good job of justifying your rating. Great review!
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

A great review. I love the character of Cami. The plot of story is good. Very exciting book. Must read

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”