Official Review: A Year of Living Kindly by Donna Cameron

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: A Year of Living Kindly by Donna Cameron

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Year of Living Kindly" by Donna Cameron.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You turn on the TV, change the channels, and see the news. Politicians insulted their people and each other, criminals murdered seniors, terrorists attacked a city, perverts sexually assaulted kids, and fires destroyed miles of a forest. The list goes on and on, and a lot of negativity entered your house through the TV. You wonder why nobody shares the good news, and you believe that the world needs much more kindness.

If you relate to the example above, then A Year of Living Kindly by Donna Cameron is perfect for you. Cameron wrote it because she believes that “kindness is a strength, a superpower that has the capacity to transform lives and change the world.” However, becoming a human being who is kind is hard. It takes patience, empathy, curiosity, effort, and determination. Cameron shares with the readers how a year practicing kindness intentionally transformed her life positively. But more than this being a book about her experiences being kind, it is a treatise on kindness. The reader learns the meaning and benefits of kindness, strategies to become a kind person, and the things that challenge kindness.

My favorite aspect of this self-help book was learning all about the benefits of kindness. Being kind has positive effects on our physical and mental health. An example is that acts of kindness boost the production of serotonin in the brain, which works as a neurotransmitter, and results in calming anxiety. Another significant example is that kind acts reduce anxiousness in people who suffer from social anxiety. Research also demonstrates that kindness is good for pain, negative perspectives, and even work. Cameron supports her findings with scientific research done by experts. The book has a notes section at the end in which the reader can find all of her sources.

I also appreciated that Cameron was candid about her journey to becoming a kind person. Her mother raised her to be nice, which she explains is not the same as being kind. So, kindness is not her default setting. Cameron worked for a whole year on being kind and is determined to keep it up. She invites us to do the same, but she warns us that it is not easy. Kindness requires the strength of character. For example, people have a hard time being kind to themselves. How can we be kind to others if we are not kind to ourselves? Also, it is quite tricky being kind to individuals we do not like and those who have harmed us. Cameron gives excellent strategies for both situations.

Honestly, I did not find a negative element in A Year of Living Kindly. A professional edited it, as I only encountered four grammatical errors. Cameron’s writing style is sincere and clear-cut. Without a doubt, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars because Cameron convinces the reader of how kindness can transform our lives and the world. I would recommend this book to readers of the self-help genre and those who are curious about how we can leave a better world for our children through the power of kindness.

A Year of Living Kindly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
klarrysah_223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by klarrysah_223 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I will have to look into it. We all could learn to be more kind. Thank you for the review.
Taylorhatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorhatter.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Taylorhatter »

This sounds like a great book, will have to read it sometimes.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Oh! I can't wait to read this. Thank you for your review. It reminds me of the book the Gratitude Diaries by Janice Kaplan. I highly recommend that one.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Kindness is so important; now more than ever given the current state of the world. Thank you for an engaging review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Kindness is not as easy as it sounds! Negativity enters without any obstacle, but kindness takes effort and determination. This looks interesting. Great review!
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I also believe that being kind has positive effects on our health. Besides, it makes the world a better place for everyone, doesn't it? Great review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Being nice is not the same as being kind - what a deep, amazing thought! Also, I am thrilled to learn that acts of kindness can reduce social anxiety. The book really worth reading. Thank you for an excellent review!
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

A great review. Its doent pay to be nice or kind to a person. But it helps a person to feel good.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I would definitely be interested in hearing her strategies for living kindly.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

This book is absolutely interesting. Hope I can read this someday. Honestly, I'm trying my best to be kind. And this book would be helpful to me. Every body can change the world, how I wish only for the better. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”