Official Review: God II by Jon Fogelberg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: God II by Jon Fogelberg

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God II" by Jon Fogelberg.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The description of this book captured my attention because the author seemed to challenge the foundational teachings of the three Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam). According to him, God is neither infinite nor eternal nor omniscient. Since human beings are vulnerable, and the Bible teaches that we are created in God’s image, he concludes that God is vulnerable too. I think this is the height of absurdity.

In this book, Jon Fogelberg tries to reconcile science and religion. I believe that Christian faith is compatible with science, but God II cannot be compared with scientific research on these theological themes. I have studied the concept of time in the Bible by referring to the original languages and do not agree with the author’s statements on this theme. Jon does not employ a scientific methodology required in the fields of scriptural studies and theological research. He quotes extensively from English Bibles (ASV and ERV) that are not universally accepted. I am also surprised with his use of these translations in a book that includes complex ideas meant for spiritually mature, liberal, and knowledgeable readers.

Some parts of this work were intended by the author for young readers looking for a spiritually nourishing read and something to meditate upon. Jon presents Jesus’ parables to highlight 33 good qualities required for Christian living. He acknowledges that they do not reveal God as “eternal, infinite, and all-knowing.” He writes about free will and our relationship with God. Jon’s reflections are interesting, but they may not be accepted by biblical scholars. In the latter part, he quotes from Matthew Henry Commentary that is in the public domain and is outdated. I think Jon should have written a separate book on the parables. He should have focused on the intersection between science and religion in God II.

I do not have any doubts about the author’s goodwill in this endeavor. He seems to be sincere in his search for answers. Jon writes about the origins of the universe and uses the analogy of the gravitational force to explicate his concept of “Spiritual Entanglement.” However, the latter often depends on human free will. The writer uses it to show how God relates to the world. I think his reflections are deep, but he has been unable to express them clearly. I appreciate the inclusion of extracts from the writings of Richard Rohr, who practices a spirituality of action and contemplation. These are my favorite pages. However, I did not like Jon’s suggestion to replace the name of Christ with the words “Spiritual Entanglement.”

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It has a few grammatical errors and will benefit from a round of editing. Overall, I do not agree with the contents of this publication. My foundational beliefs are not only compatible with science but also meaningful and helpful on my spiritual journey. The writer’s half-baked knowledge can be misleading, and it may do more harm than good to the simple faith of ordinary people. For these reasons, I will not give it a higher rating. It did not appeal to me as a professional theologian. I did not give it a lower rating because Jon’s intention is good. The book may appeal to those who are curious to know why he challenges the basic tenets of the Christian faith. It is meant to be read with discernment.

God II
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Whenever I read a religious book such as this, I'm always on the lookout to ensure the author observes the golden rule; ''Do not add or subtract from the Bible." Needless to say, I will pass over this one. Like you rightly pointed out, the content is not for a newbie to Biblical matters. Thanks for the warning.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I'm really not against seeking for answers, especially on religious matters. But making assertions without concrete evidence (other than quotations taken out of context) is a no-brainer. I hope the author finds the answers that he seeks.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

Well, it sounds very confusing. Perhaps after some extensive research, the author can present a solid argument.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Based on the synopsis, I decided against reviewing this book. I wouldn't be interested in replacing Christ's name as the author suggests. Thanks for the candid review.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Well, I was put off by the name of this book and your review solidifies my aversion to it. So I'll pass on this one. It seems so disrespectful to name a religious figure "Spiritual Entanglement", many would be too offended to read further. Thank you for a great review.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”