Review by evraealtana -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Review by evraealtana -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Engine Woman’s Light (Laurel Anne Hill) is a Western-style fantasy novel set in the late 19th century which centers around a young woman with mystical abilities who must save herself and her people from the absolute destruction predicted by her ancestors.

Juanita Elise Jame-Navarro is a teenage orphan raised by adoptive parents in a small, rural, Old West desert town. She is also a mystic, or a person with the ability to enter the walkway between life and death and speak to those who have already crossed to the other side. She is warned in a vision from her deceased ancestors that her people face imminent annihilation unless she can manage to derail a specific train, the Federally-run transport train that moves “undesirable” people such as orphans, lepers, rebels, and prisoners of war to a concentration camp-like “asylum”. She convinces her people to help her derail the train in order to secure their freedom and prevent the fate that the ancestors predicted. The train sabotage is a success, but it alters Juanita’s life forever. Injured, frightened, and alone, she is suddenly thrust into a group of traveling strangers with nothing more than her name and a new mission: to recover the tatters of her former life and to fight for her people’s redemption.

The story features a love triangle, but it is in no way stereotypical or even predictable; it kept me guessing quite literally until the last page. I detest romance novels as a rule, but the romantic thread of this one was done so expertly that I hardly noticed it; it just felt as though it was a necessary but minor part of the larger storyline. Juanita’s character was believable and compelling, and I was always interested to read about what she would do next.

In fact, characterization was one of the work’s greatest assets. All of the characters, even the minor ones, felt as though they had stories of their own to tell, which made them interesting and nuanced. It is rare that a story grips me the way this one did, and I attribute the magic entirely to the quality of the writing.

A few steampunk elements were present but not overdone so as to become cheesy. Overall, it is more a Western than a steampunk novel, albeit one with abundant supernatural facets which are integral to the plot. A few minor errors exist in the text, but none of them interfere with understanding or enjoyment. On the whole, the book seems polished and professional and deserves a place on the bookshelf of any fan of the genre.

A word of caution, however: despite the youth of the protagonist and the illustrated style of the front cover, this is not a book for children. The text does not shy away from the less-savory aspects of life in the Old West and features mass murder, mafia-style violence, and sexual assault. There are also myriad references, some quite explicit, to homosexuality. While I felt that these scenes were handled quite respectfully and not in a way that would offend LGBTQ+/ally readers, it may be distasteful to readers who are uncomfortable with the subject.

I would rate The Engine Woman’s Light as a 4 out of 4 for its gripping storyline, excellent character development, and vivid, imaginative depiction of a fantasy world that is somehow both foreign and familiar. It would most appeal to adult readers who are fans of fiction that borders on fantasy and who are not averse to the Old West genre.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

western fantasy, sounds cool. Great review!
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost
evraealtana
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Renee_Prior1995 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 15:26 western fantasy, sounds cool. Great review!
Thank you!
Prakasardi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Prakasardi »

makes the reader curious about the contents of the story
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Prakasardi wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 09:12 makes the reader curious about the contents of the story
Thank you! I hope you check it out.
Also - Welcome to OBC!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

A word of caution, however: despite the youth of the protagonist and the illustrated style of the front cover, this is not a book for children.
Isn't it? :lol: Talk about a book subverting your expectations. I think it was that scene after they derailed that very first train that shocked me into realizing that the book wasn't what I thought it would be.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That's an incredible review you wrote there! It seems this train is one I shouldn't miss. There's a Mulan (I loved that film) vibe too.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

What an interesting mix of fantasy, steampunk, and Western! I'm not the hugest fan of the latter two, but the premise alone sounds too intriguing to ignore. Even more when it features good characters, an interesting storyline, and an actually well-executed love triangle (a rare breed). Thanks for the review!
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

inaramid wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 08:49
A word of caution, however: despite the youth of the protagonist and the illustrated style of the front cover, this is not a book for children.
Isn't it? :lol: Talk about a book subverting your expectations. I think it was that scene after they derailed that very first train that shocked me into realizing that the book wasn't what I thought it would be.
Same here. :shock: I had expected something much "fluffier", along the lines of the way that no one dies in Disney movies. The train scene burst that bubble right away, and the rest of the book didn't get any sweeter. Still... an incredible read.
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Miriam Molina wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 15:50 That's an incredible review you wrote there! It seems this train is one I shouldn't miss. There's a Mulan (I loved that film) vibe too.
Thank you very much! I actually hadn't thought of it that way before, but now that you mention it, I can definitely see the Mulan parallels.
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Tomah wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 19:19 What an interesting mix of fantasy, steampunk, and Western! I'm not the hugest fan of the latter two, but the premise alone sounds too intriguing to ignore. Even more when it features good characters, an interesting storyline, and an actually well-executed love triangle (a rare breed). Thanks for the review!
Thank you! It's an odd bird, this novel - but somehow it all comes together beautifully. I hope you check it out!
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I like Juanita's ability to open the door to the other side and get some insight news. The plot sounds quite suspenseful. I'm not into romance so much either, so I'm glad that this nuance is just a connected bridge for the storyline. Amazing review! Thank you!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

InStoree wrote: 10 Aug 2019, 00:36 I like Juanita's ability to open the door to the other side and get some insight news. The plot sounds quite suspenseful. I'm not into romance so much either, so I'm glad that this nuance is just a connected bridge for the storyline. Amazing review! Thank you!
Thank you very much! When the romantic elements started, I was wary - I didn't want them to take over the plot. I was pleased to find that they didn't.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

Sound like a unique story-line - western fantasy! Enjoyed reading your review.
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

allbooked+ wrote: 16 Aug 2019, 15:57 Sound like a unique story-line - western fantasy! Enjoyed reading your review.
Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”