Review by sanjus -- The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Rom...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by sanjus -- The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Rom...

Post by Sanju Lali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance" by Morris Rollins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins is an amusing guide book, which depicts about the nature of thinking among men and women from pre-civilization to the modern era with regard to their lifestyle, influence, and their control over the society. The book begins by stating about the struggle between men and women for supremacy since Adam and Eve’s era. Later, the book tells us that in the middle-ages, men were in total control over society by continuously engaging in wars, and women were completely dependent on them for security. Now, in present times the things are upside-down with wars have become very rare, and men engaged mostly in making money, supporting family, and providing the essential needs. Finally, the book shows that modern society is being weaved as per the wishes of women and thereby, the nature of men is becoming womanish due to the overwhelming influence of women over them.

There are three sections in this small book of only 860 locations as viewed on Kindle with an interval break in between each section, which has a page of promotions of the other books by the publisher. Several cartoons and pictures are placed in an appropriate context which makes reading much funnier. Men are categorized as three different types like a nice guy, a caveman, and a sharp guy. The women are also categorized as nice girls and bad girls. Another type of categorization about women is also there, which you can know only by reading the book. The compatibility between each type of men and women is briefly described. Moreover, the tips to get a dream woman or a dream man are given in an amusing way.

I recommend this book to young adults and the above age groups who like adult jokes and never mind reading potentially sensitive phrases, which are just added to create humor and not to take them seriously. This book may not be appealing to the people who are humorless and do not like jokes. Sensitive readers should stay away from this book because some of the phrases sound to me in somewhat vulgar language, and I feel that it may cause embarrassment to some people. I do not recommend this book children and teenagers because of the explicit pictures and some explicit content in the book that the guardians would not want their children to see it.

The thing I liked the most is good formatting, which gave a nice look while reading and also providing excellent cartoons in the right context gives a good punch to make us laugh. I picked this book after reading its brief description with a hope that I could have a nice time reading it, and the book met my expectation by amusing me while reading it. The book provokes the thought about where the present day society is heading even though this idea is presented as a joke. The book gives us a good comparison between the quality of life before fifty years and now.

The thing I disliked the most is the fact that though this book is quite entertaining, it still needs another round of polishing to look more appealing in bookshelves because I have found several grammatical errors in the form of misplaced commas, missing co-coordinating conjunctions, and mistyped words in it. Initially, I had made my mind to give all the four stars, but after taking into consideration the number of such errors, I did not find it appropriate to give a perfect rating, and I gave only 3 out of 4 stars.

The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

From some of the other reviews I read, it sounded like you had to have thick skin to enjoy this book if you were a woman. It is nice to see that a female reader felt like it deserved 3 out of 4 stars. It makes me want to take another look at it since other reviews did not. I enjoyed reading your review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Thanks for the informative review. This sounds like an entertaining read.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

It looks like an interesting book about a theme that seems weird to me. The nature of thinking among men and women from old eras to our days.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”