Official Review: Out Loud by Luz Agudelo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: The Siberians by Simon J. Carey

Official Review: Out Loud by Luz Agudelo

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Out Loud" by Luz Agudelo.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Out Loud by Luz Agudelo is a children’s book about bullying. There is a sandcastle building contest on the beach and June wants to enter. However, when everyone is pairing up, she gets left out. She decides to enter the contest anyway, but then her castle is trampled down by a bully. Will she build it back up or will she give up? Will stand up to this bully? You’ll have to read this book to find out.

The message of this book is one of the most important lessons that a children’s book can teach. Bullying is something that children deal with almost every day. Whether they are the bully, are being bullied, or know someone who is being bullied, it’s part of their lives. I love when books teach children that bullying is not okay and to stand up to bullies.

The story was well-written. It was easy to follow, and it had a clear problem and solution. Children’s books often lack this clarity, especially when written in rhyme. I appreciate that the author had a solid story to promote the anti-bullying message. I also enjoyed the illustrations in this book. They were creative and depicted the story well. The only issue I had was that the people in the story were blue, but there wasn’t an explanation for this. From my experience with children, they will ask why the characters are blue. I’m not always the most creative, so coming up with an answer for them will be difficult for me.

I wasn’t really a fan of the rhyming pattern. It changed with each stanza, which stunted the flow. Changing patterns would have made more sense if they changed with each chapter instead of each stanza to give the book some consistency. The flow is important for books that need to be read out loud to the audience. Because of the difficulty of the vocabulary in this book, younger children might need the book to be read to them.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The message and story were good, but the rhyming pattern was inconsistent and disrupted the flow of the book. Because of this, I took away one star. The book was well-edited. Even with the inconsistency of the rhyming, I would recommend this book for any children who are dealing with bullying. The recommended age group on Amazon is 7-10. I think this is a suitable age, and I would encourage parents to read it with their children.

Out Loud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If you are going to have a rhyming pattern, it should be well done and consist. It's too bad that it isn't because this is a very important topic. I do hope that June stands up to the bully and rebuilds her castle. It sounds like a cute story. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

A children book with a solid plot is so hard to find, it's too bad that the book doesn't flow well. I'm not sure how I would explain why the characters have blue skins either. (Umm- they're Smurfs?) Thanks for the analysis and insights.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This book has an important message that kids need to hear. Bullying, especially in schools, is often overlooked. I wonder if more books like this were available, minus the problems with the flow, if we would start to see a decrease in bullying. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Good of the author to write about so much of a contemporary issue-bullying. Thank you for the great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Bullying is a current issue, and I have seen quite a few children's books on this subject. It seems like June has several issues to deal while at the beach. The uneven cadence of the rhymes would make the reading difficult. I enjoyed your review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A children’s book revolving around a shy girl who stands up to bullying sounds profound. The book's message is sure an important one. I agree it is odd that characters are blue. Too bad about the inconsistent rhymes, but at least the book was well edited. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

Thank you for the review, this is a very important topic and I will definitely read this book to my children. My youngest son will be starting school next year and I was wondering how to teach him about bullies and how to handle them.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I never tire of children's books with viable lessons that can be incorporated in teaching my school pupils. Bullying is always a hot topic, and I'm glad this book clearly shows how children can stand up to bullies, especially better if they don't use their fists. Too bad that the rhyming pattern was inconsistent. Thanks for the clear review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Through the metaphor of a sandcastle, the important theme of bullying is addressed in this book.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

It’s good to know that the problem and solution are clearly presented in the plot, even if the rhyming patterns change. This sounds like a great story to share and read to the 7-10 age group since bullying is a common issue faced by school children.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting book on bullying, friendship, facing one's fears and childhood. It is an excellent book for children aged 6-12. I liked the well-written review, thanks.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires&rsquo; Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

An excellent review by anneloretrujillo! As I had guessed from sampling the book, the reviewer confirmed: it is about bullying, and the importance of the topic is duly emphasized.
I also tend to agree with her as regards the way rhymes are used. I don't know about the blue people, I have seen so extravagant extensions of reality in children's books that I doubt the blue people will be an issue for them. Even if it is, some fanciful explanation, like them having drunk ink, or eaten Curaçao oranges can be provided. I am sure it could be fun to let them come with an explanation.
Great review!
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I agree that a book using rhyme should use rhyme that is consistent with its rhythm. This book sounds like a great story that covers bullying in a way that kids will identify with on a personal level. Everyone has experienced it in some way I think. Thanks for the great review!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I love the message of this book, and I have only read the sample but she stands up to the bully. Great review.

Return to “Children's Books”