Official Review: Happy Place by Alexis Clear

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Happy Place by Alexis Clear

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Happy Place" by Alexis Clear.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story happens in an indeterminate time and place in the future. People now live on platforms as water has covered the globe. The only way to expand infrastructure is to build up. The poor live in small apartments made of flimsy boards; sometimes, only curtains keep the residents from public view. The rich have better homes which are usually not rusty and have actual doors. However, regardless of where one lives, security cameras can be found everywhere. The Safety Department monitors everyone, although couples are allowed to cover the cameras for a few moments of intimacy.

It is usual for people to have all sorts of implants and cybernetics. The net is accessed with the use of special eyeglasses. Reporters stream news online; footages are recorded via implants in the reporters’ eyes.

We follow reporter Zee Vargas as he snoops around for a juicy piece of news. Checking with his friend Claude, a mortician, he learns that the suicide rates are up. The last two suicides (by drowning as is usual these days) are twin sisters; both are wearing identical necklaces. Has jewelry become hazardous to one's mental health?

The author, Alexis Clear, has a fantastic imagination. She paints her dystopian world vividly: the smelly docks surrounding the platforms, the rickety apartments of the poor versus the comfortable homes of the better-off, the unusual proceedings of a funeral, and how the Safety Department controls everything and abuses its authority.

She does not elaborate on the physical features of her characters, but she gives them backstories that enable the reader to relate to them as actual people. There is a mixture of characters, male, female and otherwise, old and young, rich and poor, and good and bad, making for a very realistic society. Zee is a lovable (if occasionally foolish) protagonist.

Happy Place is a fascinating read, and the story may very well happen soon. There are good things. Sexual freedom is apparent: One character has two mothers as parents. Same-sex relationships are openly discussed. Racial differences seem inconsequential. There are bad things, too. Journalists are threatened for reporting misdeeds, and many times, they are mauled by those they expose. Privacy is compromised. Crimes have corresponding fines, so the rich can get away with doing wrong. (Well, some things never change!)

Clear keeps the reader interested from the first line to the final period by keeping the action going strong. She uses simple language and injects snatches of welcome humor. She extols the importance of family and friends, hard work and integrity, and of course, love. Her story has a satisfying ending, but there is room for a sequel.

While I enjoyed the story, it isn’t perfect. Editing issues pepper the pages. Dialogue tags are erroneously formatted and are sometimes missing, making it hard to know who is speaking. Comma splices and sentence fragments are everywhere. There are missing articles, wrong verbs, and other grammar slips. The poor editing constrained me to give the book 3 out of 4 stars.

This book will delight fans of dystopian fiction and techies. Readers have to be prepared for a heavy dose of profanity, though. Sexual content is minimal. I invite young adults and older to read this story and discover what’s happy about this place.

Happy Place
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love a great dystopian book. I don't know why, but I love seeing possible futures like this one. It sounds like the author does an amazing job with that part of the book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This author does have a creative and fantastic imagination. The description you have given of this future world is intriguing. Thanks for this incredible recommendation!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

The dystopian setting sounds fascinating! I could really picture it from your detailed review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book does sound intriguing, and it sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I loved your review--very descriptive!
elizablu
Currently Reading: The Faerie Guardian
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizablu.html
Latest Review: Igniting the Phoenix by Alethea Stauron

Post by elizablu »

I am interested in the plot of this book and the post apocalyptic theme of the book. Especially since the world is underwater and everyone lives on platforms. The description and summary of the book however, left me feeling empty. I felt like the people and living conditions could have been portrayed in a different way to make the book appear more interesting. I am interested in the book but feel the review could have hyped it up more.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 06:47 I love a great dystopian book. I don't know why, but I love seeing possible futures like this one. It sounds like the author does an amazing job with that part of the book. Thanks.
From what I've read about the author, she's still in school. I'm sure she will write even better stories when she gains more life experiences.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kdstrack wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 11:39 This author does have a creative and fantastic imagination. The description you have given of this future world is intriguing. Thanks for this incredible recommendation!
I think I'll become a nervous wreck under 24/7 surveillance. Oh, I forgot to mention there are select places without security cameras. One of them is the Seaside Mental Hospital. Not an attractive alternative, huh!

Thanks for dropping by.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 02 Aug 2019, 16:22 The dystopian setting sounds fascinating! I could really picture it from your detailed review.
Will I survive such a world where there's nowhere to hide? Now the Safety Department will know when I'm cheating on a diet.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Prisallen wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 08:23 This book does sound intriguing, and it sounds like something I would enjoy reading. I loved your review--very descriptive!
Thanks for the "loving." It brought me to a happy place. I needed that, LOL!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

elizablu wrote: 03 Aug 2019, 17:22 I am interested in the plot of this book and the post apocalyptic theme of the book. Especially since the world is underwater and everyone lives on platforms. The description and summary of the book however, left me feeling empty. I felt like the people and living conditions could have been portrayed in a different way to make the book appear more interesting. I am interested in the book but feel the review could have hyped it up more.
Thank you for dropping by and sharing your sentiments.
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Oooh, I love it already. Not only am I a big fan of dystopian/post-apocalyptic worlds, but I'm also intrigued by climate projections. This one sounds like it would feel the way "1984" must have felt to a reader in the '50's or '60's: unlikely, but somehow, disturbingly possible. Thank you for an excellent review.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Sounds a good read. It obviously have its flaws but i think i think it has potential.
Thanks a lot for review :tiphat:
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Wisdom777
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Wisdom777 »

Happy place is a delusional story of the future. However, with the twists and turns of the story one thing which makes the reader cringed to his chair is the fantasy of living in water and yet having a world like what we have. I would suggest readers of open mind to read this. As most of the story goes from one era to another. Murder, sex , parenthood, children all shows that even in a fantasy world things can turn out to be like we imagine. The only thing I didn't like is the world of mechanism and robotic world combines in human. Which I don't see a reason why it couldn't happen in future. It's an eye opener. Overall I would rate it 4 out of 5 stars.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

evraealtana wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 18:13 Oooh, I love it already. Not only am I a big fan of dystopian/post-apocalyptic worlds, but I'm also intrigued by climate projections. This one sounds like it would feel the way "1984" must have felt to a reader in the '50's or '60's: unlikely, but somehow, disturbingly possible. Thank you for an excellent review.
The writer is yet a student. I am excited as to what she will come up with as she matures.

Alarmingly, Big Brother is a distinct possibility.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”