Official Review: Witches Protection Program by Michael Okon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Witches Protection Program by Michael Okon

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Witches Protection Program" by Michael Okon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When law-enforcement agent Wes Rockville majorly messes up while transporting a highly dangerous criminal, he’s given one final chance to prove himself. Never in a million years would he have guessed that chance was in the Witches Protection Program, an organization dedicated to the protection of Davinas (practitioners of white magic). Now, Bernadette Pendragon, leader of a billion-dollar cosmetics company and a Willa (practitioner of dark magic) has her sights on world domination, and her niece may be the only thing standing in her way. Wes’s first assignment: protect Morgan Pendragon, infiltrate Bernadette’s company, and stop the shipment of a face cream that will have women everywhere under Bernadette’s control. Simple, right?

I quite enjoyed Michael Okon’s book Witches Protection Program. Aside from the awesome title, it was the perfect mix of a modern-day setting, magic, and historical detail. Toss in some great emotions, fun humor, and a dash of romance, and this is a story not to be missed.

All the characters were richly developed, and there were many. Wes was a terrific hero. His feelings of inadequacy and self-doubt came through strongly in the beginning, and his growth into a capable, confident agent played out perfectly. Allister, the veteran witch hunter, was awesome, and I loved his collection of steampunk weaponry. The bad guys were pretty cool, too. Bernadette was her own brand of crazed evil, and Scarlet, the under-appreciated assistant, made me want to throw things (at her, specifically). To break up the tension, Morgan’s best friend was not a witch but thought she could practice to become one, which was an interesting angle. None of these people felt under-developed, which was impressive given the book wasn’t terribly long.

The story also flowed well. Emotion gave way to action. Action gave way to tension-filled dialogue. It all came together seamlessly. There were some things that could have been introduced earlier in the story to help with clarity, but once I understood them, they didn’t hamper my reading experience. There were also times I forgot the story took place in New York because the bustling city feel wasn’t really present. Since the story worked well and really could have taken place anywhere, this also didn’t bother me. Those wanting a real strong sense of place may find this troublesome.

The book was edited well. I noticed only a handful of errors. This combined with the great characters, tight storytelling, and snappy dialogue bring me to rate Witches Protection Program 4 out of 4 stars. I briefly considered giving it 3 due to some of the confusing parts, but ultimately, those didn’t distract me enough to lower my rating. I recommend this book for fans of urban fantasy or paranormal stories. Those interested in witches may also find this fun. There is some light cursing to be aware of. Also, if you have any fear whatsoever of bugs, there is one scene to be careful of. It brings a new definition to creepy crawlies. Otherwise, if you want a romp full of action, suspense, and cool steampunk weapons, give this a chance. It’s the kind of book that lends well to future installments, and if any pop up, I’ll be in line to read them.

Witches Protection Program
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Wow! The title caught my eye and your review convinced me I need to read this. As a practicing witch I get curious about how we are shown in media. Can’t wait to see what the book holds. I am curious and nervous for the creepy crawlies part! I don’t love bugs and I hate spiders. I guess I could always skip that!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I already love this author for the reference to the Arthurian legends and making the "bad guy" the good guy, by naming our heroine Morgan. This definitely sounds like a book I want to pick up and enjoy.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Witches, spying, world domination, and a hint of romance? Sounds fabulous! This has gotten such a rave review from you, I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Crime, magic, Witches Protection Program. Sounds like an interesting mix. I love urban fantasy, and the action part would add an extra kick. Great review!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This is definitely one of those reads that captures your attention from the title. I'm intrigued. Adding it to TBR. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

Thank you for your review. This book has certainly caught my eye. My interest was piqued by the title, but now I’m compelled to read this book because of its storytelling and interesting take on magic.
Sandys79
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Sandys79 »

Thank you for the great review! I was intrigued by the tittle, then while reading your review, more questions poped into my head. I love a book that will make you think and wonder, (what happens next?).
Rt120
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rt120 »

This books seems like it packs a punch from the start, a medleys of humour, magic, romance and intrigue grabs the reader. This review is masterful and I cannot wait to dive into its pages. :techie-studyingbrown:
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Morgan Pendragon...Morgana Pendragon...Morgana Le Fay??

Sorry, sorry but that's where my mind went with this. It sounds fun and like the perfect urban fantasy for fans of witches and corporate evil shenanigans.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Cnielsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnielsen.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Post by Cnielsen »

This was a really helpful review. I am intrigued by the story line it lays out and appreciate the perspective it provides. This certainly made me consider reading this book.
Intuitive Catalyst
Favorite Book: The Road
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Intuitive Catalyst »

That title got me! Love your review. As a Sci-Fi fanatic, this is just up my street. Cheers :)
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

The description honestly reminded me of Sailor Moon. :lol: The title is fun and it sounds like the characters are also fun! As someone who grew up on Charmed and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this is something I can get behind. I LOVE stories about witches. I don't know what it is, but they can be so fun! Thanks for your review!
Sahana +[]
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahana +[] »

Literally..I just love sci-fi so...this got me into,,by just seeing the give reviews..I am interested more than anything..that to with crime,magic,and love.. oppss
ChrisCarver29
Currently Reading: Skills of the Warramunga
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ChrisCarver29 »

The title caught my attention I do enjoy a meld of magic in a modern day setting. The romance I could do with out, but I'm sure it wouldnt ruin the overall plot. I'll definitely will have to give this book a read when I get a chance to.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”