Official Review: Betrayed In Beaufort

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Betrayed In Beaufort

Post by srividyag1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Betrayed In Beaufort" by Linda Heavner Gerald.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Betrayed In Beaufort by Linda Heavner Gerald is a psychological suspense novel about a woman named Tory. One day she finds herself strolling along the beach with no memories of her life. She has forgotten her name, her house and her past. She sees a handsome man standing on a balcony waving and smiling at her. She finds that his name is Jack, and he tells her that it is her home. He also tells her that they are engaged to be married and that she is suffering from amnesia.

There are two other people in that house – their cook Estelle and their gardener Willie. They feed her and give pills to her. Tory starts living in that house with Jack. Slowly, he introduces her to the elements from her past life. He takes her to their vacation house near the mountains. He also takes her to their boat, Honey. Throughout all this, Tory suspects that something is not right. She seems unable to know whom to trust and is confused. The only thing she is sure about is that she is an amazing sailor. Why has she lost her memories? Is Jack who he says he is? Will Tory ever regain her memories? These questions are answered in this suspense novel.

The author has portrayed Tory as someone who had a traumatic past. Even when she is unable to remember anything, she has deep convictions about certain parts of her psyche. I liked this aspect of the character, where she is sure that certain things define her, and she will never be otherwise. One of them is the conviction that she is a sailor. Another one is her faith in God. She also feels that she needs to give back to society. However, later on in the story, Tory believes in people who are not trustworthy. She feels like she has to believe in someone and places her trust in people who do not deserve it. This caused a bit of discomfort for me. But then again, perhaps that is how the author has envisioned Tory.

The story unfolds in front of the reader at a very fast pace. I enjoyed the way the story unravels. The narrative is in the first person and I felt like I was experiencing everything Tory was going through. Facts about sailing and boats are strewn in various places in this book. Conviction in God constitutes a significant part of Tory’s psyche, and non-believers might find it a bit odd and slightly disconcerting to see her steadfast belief even when she should think logically. Perhaps, her helplessness reinforced her faith since she had to believe in something. There is no element of romance in this story. There are no explicit scenes or profanities.

I found several grammatical errors in this book. For this reason, I give Betrayed In Beaufort by Linda Heavner Gerald 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to anyone who likes fast-paced psychological thrillers with mystery elements. However, if you require a bit of romance in your psychological thrillers, you will be disappointed.

Betrayed In Beaufort
View: on Bookshelves
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds like an interesting read. People tend to hold on to what works for them. Or what they believe works. Our psyche is really a tool not to be ignored as people. With the ability to queation if some events that happened are true or false. Tory may be blocking out a trauma or may have truly lost her memory. I love how this can be looked at by the reader from different angles.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I have had reasons to question my beliefs in the past, but I realized that a person needs to believe in something to navigate this journey - called life.
I understand why Tory held on strongly to her faith in God. I believe her faith is a big part of her identity before the amnesia, that's probably why it didn't take her long to identify with it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Ooh! Now I want to know if Jack is who he says he is. What kind of pills are they feeding her? I'm so intrigued!! I'll have to put this on my list in spite of the errors. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

What a mystery! This sounds like an interesting psychological thriller. The title is definitely suggesting something here. Thanks for the review.
kadinkins14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kadinkins14.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by kadinkins14 »

This sounds like a very interesting book. Amnesia is a hot topic in the medical field. I would have hoped this novel would contain a little more romance, but this review still makes this book sound enticing.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I admire Tory's character. I would read the book to find out who Jack really was and if she got her memory back.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your summary of the book really has me intrigued! I enjoyed your reservations about some aspects of the book, but this still looks really good. I want to find out what is going on between Tony and Jack. Great review!
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Wow. I knew from the title that it would be an interesting read. The fact that it explores psychological phenomenons makes me even more intrigued. definitely getting a copy. Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”