Review by Alena_Surya -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Alena_Surya -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Alena_Surya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Randy Love…at your service is the growing-up story of Randy Love, an attractive and charming young man. Being the youngest of three children of John Love and Majorie Love, now it was his turn to get out into the professional world and settle down. His elder brother and sister were both successful in their fields and his father was concerned about his future. I mean, he wasn’t completely sure about what he wanted to do in his life, isn’t that all of us at that age? It started with small part-time jobs to earn some money and then a full-time one. Like any person, he has a group of friends who he’s close to. We also see his love life take various turns. He makes numerous mistakes, was dumb at times but also knew how to entertain himself. By the end of this book, we see him in a more stable position in his life than when we met him and it was quite a journey.

There was no plot line in the story. It seemed like a collection of stories, especially with the many time skips that were made. I immensely enjoyed the different characters in the book. Randy Love, of course, Michael Goddard, Mickey, and James to name a few. The variety of characters comically enhanced parts of the book. There were hilarious scenes that were gripping for the next few pages till the author skipped time yet again. Unfortunately, the story dragged otherwise and the frequent compound sentences were tough to read. There were a lot of commas missing, which made the lengthy sentences an even more pain to read. It sometimes caused misunderstandings in what the author wanted to convey.

Randy Love, as a character, seemed very focused on being independent. He was insistent on saving money whether his means were moral or not (he stole from a wedding). He’s fun (the prank on Mickey was exceptionally amazing) and witty (his comebacks were good). Due to his various jobs and the time span that the book covers, we get to see Randy in a lot of different situations and environments. It gives us more insight into him as a person and how he changes as we go along in the book.

Reading the book from start to finish, Randy seemed like was an interesting guy from a well-off family and I didn’t mind the dragging pages at first. It was a unique book, and I was starting to enjoy it. That was until he started talking about women. He’s not the kind of guy who looking to settle down so the most of the women in the book are there for the erotic scenes. I also don’t like the way he talks about certain women in the story outside of the bedroom. His choice of words are not flattering. That being said, this book is not for minors and another looking for a romance novel.

Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. It is worth a read and some may even enjoy it immensely. However, the story didn’t have me engrossed the entire time and the vulgarity was not enjoyable. Shay Carter has written a casual read. It’s more of a group of stories than anything else with Randy Love as the protagonist and some recurring characters. There was some progression in his professional stability and his willingness to commit to someone though the latter was not his intention and it didn’t last long.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

There was no plot line in the story. It seemed like a collection of stories, especially with the many time skips that were made.
I would have checked out this book but the plot issue puts me off. Great review though.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

This is a really good review, but I think I'd struggle too much with a sexist protagonist. That being said, it sounds like the character progresses in different ways and has an interesting journey toward independence. I think that's pretty cool. It's unfortunate there were some major issues, but it still sounds like an entertaining story with interesting characters.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

The review is great! Unfortunately, I am so sorry to hear about the disorganized structure of the plotline...
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

This is a thorough review. I love reading books with a good plotline and it seems this one missed the mark. I will skip it. Thank you.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Randy seems quite a character. He may not know what he wants out of life, but he has the capacity to try many things hoping one may succeed including stealing. Thanks for the nice review.
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:

Post by Alena_Surya »

Wambui-nj wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 13:57
There was no plot line in the story. It seemed like a collection of stories, especially with the many time skips that were made.
I would have checked out this book but the plot issue puts me off. Great review though.
Thank you :)
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:

Post by Alena_Surya »

Wyland wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 06:08 Randy seems quite a character. He may not know what he wants out of life, but he has the capacity to try many things hoping one may succeed including stealing. Thanks for the nice review.
Thank you :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”