Official Review: The Childlike Heist by Justin Wiesinger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: The Childlike Heist by Justin Wiesinger

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Childlike Heist" by Justin Wiesinger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Childlike Heist is a collection of stories written by Justin Wiesinger to inspire adult readers to recapture their God-given childlike wonder so that they can approach life with zeal, determination, and radical hope. Drawing his message from a text in the Bible where Jesus stated that we need to become like little children to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, Justin admonishes Christians to have a childlike perspective and also have extreme trust in God because when our childlike wonder wears thin, we start experiencing boredom and frustration.

In order to communicate his ideas more effectively, Justin takes a trip down memory lane, unveiling his childhood journey. In an intriguing manner, he explains and encourages childlike faith, stating that acting childlike is a mindset and not for a season. According to him, acting our age is just a faulty mindset, which we can let go of because we are only as old as we think we are. Though the book chiefly discusses the trusting innocence of childhood, it examines other subjects like God's love, mercy, grace, forgiveness, bullying, and child sexual abuse.

The stories are interesting and astonishing. They highlight the curiosity and determination of kids, which bring fun into their young lives. They are well written and show the innocence and beauty of childhood. Most of them really made me laugh. The author succeeded in presenting an enlightening and a quite entertaining book. Since it's written from a Christian perspective, some nonbelievers may not appreciate it, so I suggest they skip it. Included are childlike freehand drawings, which give light to the stories.

Being the owner of a media group, Justin makes music videos and creates other exciting projects. In addition, he is a leader in his church where he teaches video production and storytelling. Hence, he provides information on how to make contact with him in case you want him to speak at your event or you need a friend or someone to listen to you.

Justin, with his childhood adventures, shows how children are filled with feelings of amazement and admiration, stating that they never question the existence of God when they are told about him. He tells how they have an uncanny ability to see the Kingdom of Heaven in the distance, like a mountaintop which fills them with joy and excitement. In his words, "we are told of this wonderful summit, and we eagerly strap on our snowshoes in anticipation for the journey of life. As we journey further on the trail, we lose track of the right path to follow; failures, brokenness, and negative relationships pull us off course."

Altogether, I rate The Childlike Heist 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because the stories in it are entertaining and inspiring. The author delivered a coherent and relatable book. Again, it was well edited, though I saw a few grammar flaws and typos, which are not off-putting. I enjoyed reading it and recommend it to any adult Christian who is bored with life and seeking a fresh perspective on life to enable them to live their life to the fullest.

The Childlike Heist
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
s_writing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-writing.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by s_writing »

I love how childhood and adulthood are incorporated. As adults, we tend to forget the joy of being a child. It seems the stories in this book take us back to that.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I’m not religious myself, but it seems the author has a lot of good advice to give. I would like to hear more of his story and see his views. I’ll keep this one in mind. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

I have always admire the zeal and determination children possess. I think once in a while I should tap into that, child-like side of me. Very refreshing concept. Great review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I completely agree with the author that childlike wonder is a mindset rather than something for which age is the factor. However, from the title and cover, I'd taken this book to be more of a children's adventure book, I'm disappointed to find it's meant for adult Christain readers. Anyways. great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

What an interesting premise. I haven't seen many books on childlike wonder in our faith. It's one I'll have to pick up. I'm really interested in what the author says.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I think that I should read this book and also learn to recapture my God-given childlike wonder. Thanks for this review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a wonderful book for any adult Christian who feels like they are losing their way or struggling with their faith (and want to come back to it). As someone who is not religious, it is not likely a book I would enjoy.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

This is what Jesus teaches us if we want to enter the Kingdom of God. Most of the time, we tend to forget to forgive if there's someone done us wrong. Child is entirely different. They have the ability to forgive without much of the effort. Interesting book. Hope I can read this. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”