Review by Delaney35 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Review by Delaney35 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I would be the first to say that memoirs are not something I typically read. However, after reading Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery, that might not be true anymore. I decided to read this one to expand my horizons, and I was most impressed. It started with Newbery’s childhood. At age seven, he began to deliver newspapers on his bike. Soon, he progressed to selling ice cream, his first business adventure. Newbery also dropped out of school at sixteen. He found formal education stifling and would rather spend his time working and learning through his work.

Later in life, after a brief stint as a bicycle racer, Newbery launched himself into the world of real estate. He specialized in buying run-down housing complexes and turning them into a welcoming place. He worked with the residents of the building and placed part of the responsibility for change into their hands.

My favorite part of this book was the writing style. Newbery maintained a conversational tone throughout the entire book. He also explained everything in detailed, but simple terms. As someone who has no idea how real estate works, I was never confused. He also focused on the human aspect of the building restoration rather than the physical, which made the narrative more impactful. The writing also moved along at a good pace. Since the book spanned most of Newbery’s life, a lot was covered, but I thought the pace, though brisk, was reasonable. It kept me interested and wasn’t overwhelmingly quick. It also appeared to be professionally edited.

The only thing I disliked about this book was the repetition of the idea of a burn zone. I understand that is the title of the book, and was a significant parallel to Newbery’s racing career, however it felt a bit overdone. Every time Newbery mentioned any trouble in his life, he would state it was a new burn zone. I feel like it was unnecessary. I think mentioning that idea a few times would have been sufficient.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I think it was a well-crafted memoir with a well-developed voice. Newbery has an interesting story, and he did an amazing job of conveying that to the reader. Readers of memoir would enjoy this book. I also think anyone interested in real estate or entrepreneurship would find the main ideas of it quite interesting.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with you that memoirs are not usually my first choice in reading, but, due to your review on this book, I may have to take a look at this one. It seems intriguing. Thanks for a great review, as always!
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

This book is just so interesting! I loved reading your review.
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Prisallen wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 08:15 I agree with you that memoirs are not usually my first choice in reading, but, due to your review on this book, I may have to take a look at this one. It seems intriguing. Thanks for a great review, as always!
It was a good read. Thanks for commenting!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Areej Tahir wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 15:21 This book is just so interesting! I loved reading your review.
Thanks for commenting!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I am not usually into memoirs as well but sometimes one comes across as more real or believable to me - your review makes me think this would be one of those!
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

allbooked+ wrote: 24 Jul 2019, 07:21 I am not usually into memoirs as well but sometimes one comes across as more real or believable to me - your review makes me think this would be one of those!
It's a very engaging read. Thanks for commenting!
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

Memoirs are not my first choice when I pick books to read. However, this book is really enganging and it got me to read another book of similar genre.
I agree though that the mention of burn zone in every situation he encounters is a little bit redundant.
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

Popcorn1 wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 02:40 Memoirs are not my first choice when I pick books to read. However, this book is really enganging and it got me to read another book of similar genre.
I agree though that the mention of burn zone in every situation he encounters is a little bit redundant.
Thanks for commenting!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Nice review. I am not a big memoir reader either but I had read his later book Debt Cleanse and couldn't resist hearing more of his history. I hadn't thought about it but you're right, he does emphasize 'burn zone' a lot doesn't he.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Delaney35

Post by Delaney35 »

thaservices1 wrote: 27 Jul 2019, 17:01 Nice review. I am not a big memoir reader either but I had read his later book Debt Cleanse and couldn't resist hearing more of his history. I hadn't thought about it but you're right, he does emphasize 'burn zone' a lot doesn't he.
Thanks for commenting!
Smrithy
Favorite Book: Enif
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithy.html
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Post by Smrithy »

Though memoirs and non fiction is not my cup of tea, I loved this one. Nice review.
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”