Review by Hester3 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Review by Hester3 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Hester3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery the author shares how he started to deliver newspapers at the age of seven. He did not work because he had to, but because he wanted to. He also decided that since he is already riding the delivery route, he might as well deliver the competing paper. In the book Newbery describes the different types of business he were involved in and his reasons behind taking each one on. His determination and ambition not only took him to the top, but also carried him when he was at the bottom. He always took full responsibility for everything. Even when there were others who should have shared the blame; he never passed his responsibilities to anyone else.

What makes this book so refreshing is that Newbery spends more time explaining what he learned from his failures, real and perceived, than talking about his success. He is honest and candid about how he experienced things and frequently admits what he should have done differently.

The book is not a “how to” guide for entrepreneurs but an honest account of Newbery’s life and the reasons behind his choices. The book is very inspirational, and the guidelines that Newbery lives by can be applied to anyone’s life in any given situation.

This is a book that I recommend everyone to read, there is so much to learn from Newbery that the book should actually be read more than once and will be an excellent addition to anyone’s bookshelves. The book contains quite a number of references to incidents of racism and Newbery is vocal about his believes that racism should not be a part of our society. That every man should be judged by his character, not the color of his skin.

What I liked best about this book is Newbery’s honesty and the way he seems to regard his difficulties in life to be more constructive than his success. He also never gives the impression that he felt deserving of his success but accredited it to hard work and never giving up. His belief in himself and the goodness of others as well as his willingness to learn from the people around him is inspiring.

I give this book 4 out of 4 and really believe that Newbery has a lot to offer and that everybody can benefit from reading this book. If I can teach my children to stick to their values and beliefs the way Newbery does to his, I would think of myself as a successful parent.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It's almost humbling the way he focuses more on his failures than his successes. What's the saying? "It's only a failure if you fail to learn from it." This seems to be much the way he thought about things. Thanks for the honest review!
Hester3

Post by Hester3 »

To learn from ones mistakes when you are at the top is easy, but to continue doing so when you are at the bottom, that is humbling. Thanks for your comment.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Hester3

Post by Hester3 »

AvocaDebo621 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 21:34 The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Thanks for the comment, glad you enjoyed it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”