Official Review: Close Relationships and Rewarding Busine...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Close Relationships and Rewarding Busine...

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Close Relationships and Rewarding Businesses from Conversational Skills" by Lawrence J Bookbinder, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Close Relationships and Rewarding Businesses from Conversational Skills by Lawrence J. Bookbinder, Ph.D. is a self-help book that aims to increase the reader’s conversational skills with the eventually goal of helping them build better relationships in both their personal and professional lives. A quick read, the author keeps paragraphs short, includes bulleted lists, highlights important ideas in boxes, and focuses on real-world examples. He covers the importance of empathy in conversations but also includes examples of how active listening can harm both the speaker and the listener. The book is a comprehensive introduction to conversational skills.

I really enjoyed how well this book flowed. I felt like I had only been reading for a little while when I suddenly realized that I had reached the appendix. The short chapters and example conversations help the reader stay on track and invested in the book. I enjoyed that the author used examples of good and bad conversations from his own life to explain that you have to focus on your conversational skills every day and that even professionals allow their emotions to get in the way of listening to others on occasion.

As I said before, I felt like the book flew by. This was generally a good thing, except that I wasn’t actually aware when the book was about to end. There’s no conclusion to the author’s ideas, although there is a story that shows how listening with respect can change your life. I would have appreciated an analysis of that story at the end that included a conclusion which reminds readers of the conversational skills they need to practice and of the rewards waiting for them (shown in the story) if they follow the author’s advice. In addition, I wasn’t aware the book was ending because I was only 73% of the way through. The last quarter of the book is just appendices, which I didn’t find generally helpful. I appreciated Appendix D, which included additional resources for readers who wanted to keep expanding their skills, but A, B, C, and the Key Sentences were all unnecessary for me. They covered limitations of the book, why the author thinks the book is different from similar resources, and questions the author would like to answer. They were things I would want to know before reading the book, not after, and I ended up feeling a little cheated that the last fourth of the book included a lot of repetition and opinions from the author rather than actual material related to the topic.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I appreciated the advice given, but the ending came suddenly and was followed by an excess of information that wasn’t useful for me as a reader. I would appreciate the author editing down the appendices and including a more effective conclusion.

I would recommend this book to anyone who would like to have better conversations. It’s appropriate for readers of all ages and for people who wish to improve both business and personal relationships.

Close Relationships and Rewarding Businesses from Conversational Skills
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Active listening is bad for the speaker and listener? Well, I'm surprised, but I shouldn't be since I'm no great conversationalist myself :P Well-written review Juliana, but it's sad the author didn't conclude properly.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I feel like we could all brush up on our conversation skills. I can imagine that would help in business as well as personal life. Still, self-help books aren't something I normally read. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

What a great review, the fact that you mentioned that the author uses examples of both good and bad conversations from his own life makes me want to read the book. As a person aiming at improving conversations, its definitely one of the books that I will look out for; particularly to improve my personal relationships.
Sont0025
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sont0025.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sont0025 »

Thank you for the review! I am always looking for quick reads that will help me improve my people skills as a business owner. Did you feel the author was able to dig in on some of these topics or did he just stay pretty general? I find a lot of these shorter reads end up being too general to be of any real help.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Great reference book. Great review.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I am now super curious about how the author believes active listening can harm the participants in a conversation. I agree that the lack of a concluding section to a book that is making a specific argument is a problem. Books are not 5 minute endeavors. It always helps readers to go back and do a very brief review and give a few concluding statements. It makes the books arguments that much more likely to stick in the minds of the readers.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's always good to be reminded that the first lesson of being a good conversationalist is to close your mouth and listen! It was wise to include examples of good and bad conversations. The book seems to offer a wealth of advice, even if the appendices compromise a good chunk of the text! Great review.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

Close Relationships and Rewarding Business from Conversational Skills by Lawrence J,bookbinder is a self help book. The author believes that if your conversational skill is strong then there is a great chance of your high success in your personal and professional life On the contrary bad conversations would lead to poor performance and poor results. He also believes that while communicating the role of empathy is also very important and it should be taken in to consideration.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

What a helpful resource to help with improving conversational skills. We often are not aware of these areas in our lives and that they need attention. Thank you for a wonderfully written review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”